Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves: Butchers of internets?[Plot spoilers for those who didn't watch Avatar]  (Read 1925 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I've recently visited a cinema to watch Avatar, and now I cannot stop to think about it.

Remember those Naavi (or how they are called, those native "indians" with blue skin and tails)? They had a huge information network which consisted of plants and they could connect each other to store data and souls of their fallen? It was basically a huge "native internet", no wonder they had no need to invent anything, nature gave them everything.

What if elves in "DF" have a similar link to the world? So they feel the plantlife and are able to use the whole system as some kind of a universal net of living beings? It means that the dwarves are... what, viruses? :D

P.S. A bit of offtopic: people wondered how elves get all their wooden gear without chopping. It looks like they simply ask the trees and maybe use some kind of rituals they consider "right", while other races simply take it in a rude manner without asking from the elven point of view.

P.P.S. Also I wonder, how do those "naavi" conduct sex? Connect their braids? ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:53:36 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tree usenet? interesting.

I would have to agree about the trees "making" the weapons, regardless of internet or not. Since, the trees are sentient.
Magma is overrated.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

'gah! lag again! damn dwarves cutting away my connection...'

Heh, interesting thought. Also rather convenient, being able to mail some random tree asking it to drop a nice bow-shaped branch.

Sentient trees must have a hell of a boring life though, just doing photosynthesis and occasionally dropping a leaf. I bet they spend lots of time trolling the tree web.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

'gah! lag again! damn dwarves cutting away my connection...'

Heh, interesting thought. Also rather convenient, being able to mail some random tree asking it to drop a nice bow-shaped branch.

Sentient trees must have a hell of a boring life though, just doing photosynthesis and occasionally dropping a leaf. I bet they spend lots of time trolling the tree web.
:D
Also, they talk about the weather a lot...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile

Treeternet?
If the elves told us they need the trees for that, I'd feel sorry for them.

This doesn't mean I'm going to stop chopping down their trees to force them into using the superior DorfNet, though.

ElfChan? Honestly that wouldn't surprise me, elves trolling each other with pics of brutally slaughtered trees and vegetables.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

ElfChan? Honestly that wouldn't surprise me, elves trolling each other with pics of brutally slaughtered trees and vegetables.
That mental image is way too funny for me to be considered normal.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
OH GOD THEY'VE KILLED KENNY!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile

See, I haven't seen this movie, but I knew from the start it was going to be silly as soon as it posited Space Marines as the bad guys.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Haha, the movie is cool. And humans ARE evil and bad, look at the nature and what do we do with it.

But we ARE the humans, so I don't care :D.

P.S. Also it's a movie about indians and conquistadors, by it's nature. And effects are cool, go grab a girl and visit some cinema. I promise it works ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile

I didnt see that movie either, and ultimately i say, screw nature! Absolutely no interest in self-improvement whatsoever, happy to live simple and insideously boring lives.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Nature giving anyone everything they need rather than ruthlessly culling its creations through evolution almost seems like mary-sue territory. If anything, 'Evil' space marines are the product of such a harsh environment.

Also, elfchan is funny.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy crap. No wonder the elves are going to war over this. I'd eat someone too if they took my internet connection out for a day.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

I found it awesome how everyone in the movie had USB ports in their heads. I want one. Now.  ;D

I bet the elves are using the treenet to play dwarf fortress, which would explain why they become murderous when you cut down their trees. Their FPS drops and makes it unplayable, so to restore their game to running again, they kill anyone trying to cut down the trees.

Oh, and if you haven't seen Avatar yet, do it. Excellent movie, one of the best I've seen in a long time.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:00:31 am by alway »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile

I found it awesome how everyone in the movie had USB ports in their heads. I want one. Now.  ;D

I bet the elves are using the treenet to play dwarf fortress, which would explain why they become murderous when you cut down their trees. Their FPS drops and makes it unplayable, so to restore their game to running again, they kill anyone trying to cut down the trees.

Oh, and if you haven't seen Avatar yet, do it. Excellent movie, one of the best I've seen in a long time.
I'd agree there.
Actually, the system of elves communicating via the ecosystem does make sense, and presumably their dislike of damaging living things does allow them to be somewhat lenient with the civilizations that cut down trees, perhaps in hope that they'll stop eventually.
Unfortunately dwarves controlled by the play seem to revel in being vindictive and cutting down all the trees. Which is admittedly pretty funny.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile

so..... do they have plantchan?

Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.
Pages: [1] 2