Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Game Crashes shortly after loading  (Read 1551 times)

Magil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Game Crashes shortly after loading
« on: December 18, 2009, 01:38:17 am »

I had saved this fortress, and went to load it up, and now it is consistently crashing a short amount of time after loading. The timing of the crash is not entirely consistent, sometimes it takes only a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. Different messages appear in the intermediate period each time (once a fey mood even began, though he didn't manage to claim the workshop before it crashed--the crash itself doesn't seem to be mood-related, since only once did a mood occur before the crash).

My original suspicion was that it might be because my Duchess is meeting with the Elf Diplomat, and the King wants to arrive because all the requirements are met--which causes some sort of crash because normally, the King would meet with the Elf Diplomat if he is present rather than the Duchess. Therefore, I tried deconstructing a road in order to make my fortress unsuitable for the King's arrival, but even when it lasted long enough for me to get the road removed, it still crashed, so that may not be the problem (or the King may simply already be on his way and there's no way to stop him). Again, that's just a random theory I had and may not be related to the problem at all.

I even tried a "final solution" type scenario: I canceled every job in every workshop, cleared the manager orders, undid every designation on every z-level, locked the countess in with the diplomat, and canceled all pending hauling to the trade depot. No dice, it still crashed shortly afterward.

At any rate, I originally made this fortress under the following conditions:
Init: Economy turned off, zero rent on.
System: AMD Athlon 64 bit processor, 986 MHz, 1gb of RAM
Originally, I used the May Green/Mike Mayday tileset v13, though I can reproduce the exact crash on a game with no tileset installed (game loads normally, fortress runs for a brief amount of time, then crashes, no errorlog.txt appears). No other mods have been used at all.

I can also reproduce this even after transferring the fortress to my laptop and running it on a clean DF copy, the laptop has Windows Vista and a much better processor.

So summary: the save consistently crashes under different OS's, no mods, and with/without a tileset, though it loads correctly under all those conditions. The exact cause of crash is unknown.

Here's the save:
http://www.mediafire.com/?njmvhii2mz0

I also uploaded the error report Windows gives, though I'm unsure as to how much help that is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nmczmnmu1mz
Quote from: Mystic Mongol
Turns out most of the nobles had the same room. Moreover, this same room was apparently bedroom, office, and dining room. I don't know what they thought was in this room... I do know the doors were all locked, so none of them could get IN.

Also, apparently there was a fire inside, and had been for months. I feel I should investigate this at some point.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Game Crashes shortly after loading
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 07:58:03 pm »

I'll just mention that this sounds similar to a crash I'm getting, with a saved game. I've also got an Athlon (64 bit quad), but I'm running Windows 7. 

The only error message I'm getting is just "The program Dwarf Fortress.EXE has stopped working".

It also happens randomly, but the first time it occurred was after several hours of play. The second, only after maybe 15 minutes?

Error log shows: loop path fail <same square> horse, 664, 719, 16 ->677,715,17: ID#81690:Path Goal Seek Station: Station Owner at 684,714,17
For they would be your masters.

VexTheWarlord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Game Crashes shortly after loading
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:35:15 pm »

I'll just mention that this sounds similar to a crash I'm getting, with a saved game. I've also got an Athlon (64 bit quad), but I'm running Windows 7. 

The only error message I'm getting is just "The program Dwarf Fortress.EXE has stopped working".

It also happens randomly, but the first time it occurred was after several hours of play. The second, only after maybe 15 minutes?

Error log shows: loop path fail <same square> horse, 664, 719, 16 ->677,715,17: ID#81690:Path Goal Seek Station: Station Owner at 684,714,17

Found this thread through the search function, after coming to the Official Forum to try and find a fix to my problem.

A similar error has been happening to me.

Error log shows;

"path fail: goblin,259,386,17 -> 254,380,15: Id #55089:Path Goal Seek Station:Station Maraude Target at 254,381,15"

Apart from this, the game seems to kill itself within seconds now, although it started out much more slowly, it's gotten much quicker.

It's really annoying me.