Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Economy: WTF?!  (Read 3241 times)

Ayeohx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Economy: WTF?!
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:59:28 pm »

Looks like this economy crap has ninja'd up on me.  What's it's purpose?  Is there any reason to play with it?  It looks like most of my dwarves are getting evicted from their rooms (all 6 square engraved rooms with furniture).  Is this going to have a huge impact to my play?  I hit the wiki and the only valuable info I pulled from it was "You may prevent the economy from activating with the arrival of the Baron by editing data/init/init.txt; line "[ECONOMY:NO]"."

Unfortunately that's not going to save my current fort seeing how we've got a Baron now and since everyone seems to be on the road to eviction, I'm probably going to have so pissed off little dwarves.  Meh.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Economy: WTF?!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 12:04:08 am »

If you have seasonal saves, you could go back a few seasons to before the baron arrives.

Ayeohx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:06:53 am »

I do but I just made a lot of changes and I'm not sure when it saved.  playing at work so I'm not always watching. :)

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:31:32 am »

Looks like this economy crap has ninja'd up on me.  What's it's purpose?

In theory its purpose is to provide a new layer of gameplay to liven things up once you've gotten over the hurdles involved in starting a fort. In actual implementation its purpose is to be a pain in the butt. There's no dishonor in turning it off (although it's too late for you).

Ayeohx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 01:04:53 am »

This does give me a chance to try that reclaim a fortress thing I read about though. :)

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:12:56 am »

You could also make new smaller and terrible rooms for people who can't afford rent in an attempt to deal with the economy. You should also probably build some shops so that the rich people get richer.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 03:18:04 am »

When I had economy started, I had lots of 3x3 engraved rooms. So I had to build a bunch of cheaper ones, in the range of 200-500, so most dwarves won't get unhappy, and reserve the expensive ones to legendary dwarves (by that time, you should have quiet many of them). And if you have a legendary dining room, you make the booze and food with legendary brewers/cooks, have lots of thing to admire in your fortress (especially the meeting area) then even your evicted dwarves won't get unhappy, provided that you have enough barracks beds.

Aside from evictions, I didn't find much change in their behaviour in economy mode. Maybe that if they don't have enough work, they start to complain to your manager. Ironically, it was my manager who complained, so he had nobody to complain to.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 08:42:06 am »

Alternatively, you could turn on ZERO_RENT so your non-legendary dwarves can live in luxury instead of poverty. They'll still need to pay for their food, though.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 09:00:56 am »

And they will still be evicted every time their balance dips below zero from buying food and drink.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:07:17 am »

Economy is not bad at all, so long as you ignore coinage.  For evictions, just build a bed in any old spot and designate it as a 1x1 bedroom.  The rent will be so low (double digits if you use a cheap bed) that most of your dwarfs will be able to use them.  The rest can sleep in the barracks.

The only problem with economy is that you can't arbitrarily assign dwarfs to bedrooms anymore.  So, no putting the cook next to the kitchen unless it's already a legendary cook.  That's not a big problem whatsoever, and I don't think many players would care about such things anyway.

The good side: less dwarfs grabbing up items for their rooms.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 10:46:52 am »

I've always felt that hitting Dwarven Economy is like hitting puberty - everything but fun, but once you get used to it, it's not really that bad.

Biggest problem isn't evictions or coinage, but the damned annoying production mandates and import/export bans, which lead to your work force getting clobbered or jailed by the Hammerer. What's even more annoying is that the ***** is there to stay - if you get him killed, you just get another.

As for its purpose, well, keep in mind that what you are playing is an alpha release. You've essentially moved into a house before the builders finished it. Alpha builds have stupid and seemingly useless features, bugs and other types of frustrations, and all you can do is man up and deal with it (though shutting economy off works, too :P ).
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 01:30:07 pm »

If you never have a sheriff or any fortress guards or any prison arrangement, the Hammerer never hammers anyone.  The justice system stalls out and all you have to deal with is the unhappy thoughts from the sadistic nobles (and mayor).  This is another alpha feature which can be conveniently by-passed.  :)

Even if the rent is zero the Dwarves get evicted if the food they eat and the drink they drink costs more than what they have to their credit.  It's not that the Dwarves can't live in luxury that bothers me.  It's the instability of being thrown out of quarters every season.  The instability can be solved by making everyone who is non-legendary live in barracks.  They are noticeably happier with their own rooms than they are with a barracks.  I tried it both ways with the same group.  Their "room" can even be just a 3x3 in the middle of a sea of other 3x3s, and they are happy.  When you reproduce by spores, privacy is not an issue.   :D

I love the coins, but I don't want the lag. 

I love the shopping, but I hate how the shopkeepers can grab all that stupid "narrow" stuff from government stockpiles and sell it to private citizens, thus filling all those coffers and cabinets with useless junk that could have bought booze or food or leather or cloth, or indeed anything that would have been useful or could have been converted into useful items of high quality.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 04:29:00 pm »

The economy is not bad at all, as others have said just build cheap rooms, or turn rent OFF.  I leave it on, but don't use coins, I tried coins once and it nearly drove ME into a strange mood!

As far as work goes, in my fort some workers are more valuable than others.  They get more jobs to do.  I work Masons to death, miners usually stay busy, and anyone involved in food/booze production.  For mechanics if I have alot of traps I just have them remove some and then re-add them to keep them busy.

I throw 1/2 my peasants on pumps (that don't actually pump anything) until they are legendary.  Everyone else has their hauling on (note I turn it OFF for legendary and workers that I keep busy).  Then I make a huge room somewhere in the fortress and assign half of it as a stone stockpile.  That keeps them busy.  When it fills up I remove it and put it on the other side of the room.  This keeps them hauling and not bitching about "no work".

The Mayor sounds like he is taking complaints from the people who don't have enough work.  You'll see this as: "Mayor takes request from miners guild".  This means that they are complaining about not enough work.  If you don't give them work then the Mayor will mandate that you have them do something.  Under the noble entry you will see something like: Complete Miners job (11/11) and then you just go have them dig something and that mandate will be satisfied.  At least this is how it appears to work to me.  Not sure if 100% accurate :p

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 05:34:46 pm »

Most annoying thing currently is the constant spamming of messages announcing the change of item costs. It gets incredibly annoying very fast Safe-Keeper has changed the prices of goods. to see messages like that every other minute Safe-Keeper has changed the prices of goods. or even more often, because first of all the buying and selling of goods Safe-Keeper has changed the prices of goods. takes place in the background, and secondly Safe-Keeper has changed the prices of goods., the bright yellow colour Safe-Keeper has changed the prices of goods. is really Safe-Keeper has changed the prices of goods. Safe-Keeper has changed the prices of goods. ******* annoying.

Safe-Keeper has changed the prices of goods.

That, and the stupid export/import bans (not that I have a sheriff, and I don't know how to create prisons in the first place, at least no one gets placed in cages I designate as rooms, so if slink is right, it shouldn't matter) are really the only two annoying parts of Economy.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »

Quote from: Safe-Keeper

Safe-Keeper has changed the prices of goods.

I agree, this is annoying as hell.
Pages: [1] 2