Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Bad game design  (Read 17380 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Bad game design
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2009, 04:52:54 am »

You don't need to grind all that much to complete the main quest. Like I said, some guy did it in under an hour using a merchant bug and some really clever alchemy. You do have to move around a lot though. Personally, I find Morrowind quite enjoyable, mostly because of the spirit of exploration throughout. You get little rewards (or not-so-little, depending on exact places) for performing acts of ingenuity and getting into places the designers likely didn't want you to be able to visit. For this reason, my sign of choice was the Tower. With it and some basic alchemy knowledge it's possible to get into all sorts of too-high-to-reach and locked places.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2009, 09:01:52 am »

Well the problems with Super Smash Bros Brawl is obvious
1) On one side you have too many uttarly decimating items and ones that used to have some semblence of balance have been upgraded.
2) On the other side you have too many stages being turned into the same old floating platform scheme.
Soo the game is too casual friendly item wise and too "pro" friendly stage wise.

Anyhow I guess while we are on Fighters

Dissidia: Goodness where to start... hmmm... The number one problem with the game is pure unadulterated grinding! Here are the number of things you may or may not need to grind
1) Levels: 22 characters, 100 levels. Best of all none of the villains get a storymode. There is a trick to doing so (which does require quite a bit of grinding to do) and it is the only reasonable way to level everyone up.
2) AP: Your skills take space, you need AP to make your skills take half that space. Though realistically usually when your done leveling you got all the AP you need
3) PP: You need to earn tens of thousands of PP and you get around 40 per match. There are ways to earn more faster but usually only around 1000
4) Accessory slots: In order to get these you need Rosetto stones which can only be earned by beating arcade mode on hard (but only 1) or by beating time attack mode (which costs 10,000pp) with a stunning record. The total number of these to unlock for all the characters is over 150!
5) Items: You need the best equipment for character... even one is a stunning achievement.

Just so you know the mechanics. You have a 4% chance on a level 100 character to get ONE of the 5-15 items (and you can't get two) you need to get your ultimate armors and weapons.

I like the game and all, but I always liked using a variety of characters and this just sort of forces you to use one.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2009, 09:07:00 am »

Sonic and the Black Knight on the Wii. All you did was slash at things, and the game somehow inferred a crazy as hell plot from it that made no damn sense.
And note that halfway through the game you 'win' and credits roll without any indication that there is more game to be had.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2009, 09:34:47 am »

Ohh here is one

In general one thing I've always disliked in Adventure games is "Stand in a location" puzzles. No these arn't puzzles where you activate a location and your character goes there. No these are ones where you have to walk your character in specific locations in order for something to work.
-This excludes when it is obvious.

Example

Kings Quest 7... CATCHING THE HORSE! Alright so your given a Harness to catch the Horse (who is one of the 4 winds needed to find the North Wind needed to find the King and Queen of Etheria) If you try to catch the horse normally it only blows your harness away, though mysteriously you always have it anyhow... which is a mercy)

The only way to catch the horse is to stand behind the mountain peek.

There are however several problems with this
1) From the horses perspective you are entirely out in the open. In fact you were more hidden from your other possition.
2) You don't catch the horse by springing an ambush... No what happens is the horse for no discernable reason decides to take a rest if you chose to harness it while behind the mountain peak. It will not for any other reason decide to do so even if you were to wait.
3) There is a CAVE practically next to the spot the Horse will take a rest much more appropriate to hide from the horse from.
4) The Peak isn't an object. There is no indication that this plan would work. You can't click on the peak, you can't look at the peak, and you can use objects on the peak.
5) The Peak is decently distant from the magical wind horse.

At least in 7 days a stranger the Pipe is an object, but in Kings Quest 7 it is just a peice of scenery.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2009, 03:10:12 pm »

If you assume the merchant has no memory, and lets face it, NPCs in game are lucky to just have a personality, then it makes sense to a degree.

"Here you are sir, 1000 healing potions for 20 bucks each" "Crap, I'm out of healing potions," "You sir, do you have any healing potions. I'll pay 30 bucks a piece so I can restock"
I used to do that in Fable for some reason. Buy all of a guy's diamonds, wait until his inventory restocks, buy all of his diamonds again, repeat. When you have a large number and he has zero, sell all of them back to him. Instead of curving the price, ex. 200 for the first, 175 for the second, and so on, the game gives you a flat rate of, say, 200 for all of your diamonds. I think buying was the same way. The guy realizes he has 2000 diamonds and he doesn't need that many, so you can buy all of them for 10 each.

This is less bad design and more lazy programmers, but I just installed Drakensang. Yes, people, some are forced to use dialup modems. Making them uninstall the modems to play your game is a Bad Thing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:12:41 pm by Mephisto »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2009, 04:43:43 pm »

why do they make you uninstall your modem? what purpose could that possibly serve?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2009, 10:15:01 am »

It "may conflict with the sound system" or something stupid like that.

Not that I was given the option of playing anyway. It was either uninstall the modem or the game would refuse to run, screaming at me about it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2010, 01:40:23 pm »

It "may conflict with the sound system" or something stupid like that.

Not that I was given the option of playing anyway. It was either uninstall the modem or the game would refuse to run, screaming at me about it.

Reminds me of a lot of current games, which will install happily, then when you run them they go "OH GOD, UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE" or "UNSUPPORTED OS" and die.  Really?  You couldn't warn me when I was installing it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2010, 01:44:41 pm »

Ohh I might as well put this down.

Everygame that uses Gamespy Arcade (Of which I only know Boarderlands and Freedom Force 2)

While I am not saying Gamespy Arcade is BAAAAAD. Making people go through the incredably annoying (and for some impossible) task of forwarding ports is too much and you should be ashamed.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2010, 02:01:03 pm »

Ohh I might as well put this down.

Everygame that uses Gamespy Arcade (Of which I only know Boarderlands and Freedom Force 2)

While I am not saying Gamespy Arcade is BAAAAAD. Making people go through the incredably annoying (and for some impossible) task of forwarding ports is too much and you should be ashamed.

It's not impossible!  They listed every port you needed to forward in the READMEH.txt file.

Except, you know, the one that mattered.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »

When I said "For some impossible" I mean impossible.

For example if your using a shared internet and you don't have access to the router.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2010, 02:34:25 pm »

When I said "For some impossible" I mean impossible.

For example if your using a shared internet and you don't have access to the router.

AH, yes.  Of course.  I of course, was joking.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2010, 04:39:33 pm »

Quote from: JoshuaFH
Also, there was a weird glitch where I could be both married and divorced at the same time, which allowed me to have two wives that lived in the same house. Surprisingly cool, but the first wife (which was both married and divorced at the same time) still demanded the upkeep that I had set prior and I couldn't change it, so I way paying a daily salary for both wives at the same time.

Congratulations you have discovered Mistresses ;P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2010, 05:06:36 pm »

I've been playing X-COM: Apocalypse.  I like it a lot, now that I know how controls work.  But I have one problem with it.  I had a fairly advanced file with good soldiers and a good fleet of purchased ships, but I couldn't advance past the Biotransport ship for traveling into the alien dimension because I never caught UFO type 5 before the aliens decided to upgrade.  I thought, ok, I'll just take down a battleship and research that, skip straight to the best X-COM craft (Annihilator), but no, it turns out it also has the prerequisite of having researched the previous inter-dimensional craft between the Annihilator and the Biotransport.  And I couldn't go to the alien dimension to track down a type 5 UFO because the alien fleet in the alternate dimension could wipe out any force of Biotransports or dimension probes that I sent in.

New file I got it, though, and have been progressing much more quickly.  Though being what X-COM is, I'm not sure if the latter is a good thing.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2010, 06:25:50 pm »

New file I got it, though, and have been progressing much more quickly.  Though being what X-COM is, I'm not sure if the latter is a good thing.

Reminds me of a game I may or may not have been partly responsible for** where there is at least one room with no exit.*

*Use the button in the lower right of the screen, it takes you into the future.  Then go R, R, R, U, U.  Voila.
Quote from: Kreg
I also got stuck in the white room of no return :(
Summing up the game in 12 words.

**I say this, as while I was 1 member in a 3 person group, I don't think any of the code or art assets I created were actually used, and only the vaguest ideas of the game design document I had a hand in are evident.  Despite trying to impress upon my partners the need to restrict the user to a very specific section of the game map in order for us to know where they are (that is, know all of the rooms they have access to and provide at least one route back to any other room), they obviously didn't listen.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14