Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Bad game design  (Read 17369 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Bad game design
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2009, 09:26:30 pm »

It looks like the failure is the buy for more if they hate you, if I interpreted that correctly.
Eh?
Eh!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2009, 09:47:45 pm »

Yeah, it seems that instead of a linear shift of both values as the disposition changes ("buy" increases, "sell" decreases) it instead increases the generic "value" of the item, so you buy it for more, and can sell it for more as well. Which is undisputably broken.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:56 pm »

If you assume the merchant has no memory, and lets face it, NPCs in game are lucky to just have a personality, then it makes sense to a degree.

"Here you are sir, 1000 healing potions for 20 bucks each" "Crap, I'm out of healing potions," "You sir, do you have any healing potions. I'll pay 30 bucks a piece so I can restock"
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2009, 11:31:51 pm »

What a letdown! I don't even get to kill the villain, some jerkass npc does. Goddamnit.

You can kill him.
Hell, I didn't even know that Reaver will do it until I read about it in the wiki.

I like to shoot him with a pistol, the irony is beautiful.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Hilarious, and made of win, especially if you're facing down a bunch of friends.

Still hilarious, but really annoying, if in the middle of an epic duel you're killed by a falling box.

Items unbalance the game in a level that is just ridiculous.
A first-time newbie can kill a world champion just because of a lucky item drop or an unlucky item spawn(Do you KNOW how many times a deku nut or whatever, bob-omb or the like has spawned onto and kill me? That is fucking retarded.)

My main problem with Oblivion/Morrowind is that leveling up the melee skills is stupidly hard compared to leveling magic skills.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2009, 11:40:07 pm »

A first-time newbie can kill a world champion just because of a lucky item drop or an unlucky item spawn(Do you KNOW how many times a deku nut or whatever, bob-omb or the like has spawned onto and kill me? That is fucking retarded.)
Well thats what Final Destination is for.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2009, 11:49:43 pm »

Well thats what Final Destination is for.

Ever had a bob-omb spawn right in front of you when you fire your gun/swing your sword/fist?

And I always play on Final Destination, with items off(which doesn't count for single-player).
It makes the most fair and balanced battle.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2009, 11:55:20 pm »

The battle isent unfair if you dont play on final destination with no items. Theres just as much chance that your opponent will hit that bomb as you will.

Its just less random, also less fun.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2009, 12:07:50 am »

The battle isent unfair if you dont play on final destination with no items. Theres just as much chance that your opponent will hit that bomb as you will.

Its just less random, also less fun.
yes basically what this guy said. Items and the cool stages are where the fun of the game come from. Take those out and you have a...straightup competition where you want to beat the other person? Instead of an experience where you have fun?

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2009, 12:51:39 am »

Yeah, without items the game gets a bit bland. I just want a mechanic that makes sure that item spawns don't kill people directly, although I laugh the hardest when that happens.

On a related note, I was on a custom-made map, carrying a barrel, on a ledge way above the other contestants. Testing my theories on video-game luck, I gave every one full and total warning I was going to throw the barrel, they had about 3 seconds to react as it fell towards them (and they had a wide area to move around) and yet one of them was STILL hit by it - and they weren't being pinned in place by an attack or anything. That's one of the reasons I love Brawl - stuff like that happens way too often to be logical.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2009, 12:55:45 am »

I believe that the creator of brawl has explicitly stated that he has no interest in making his game tournament ready or balanced, which explains the rift in the fandom between those that try to force the game to be tournament compatible and those that enjoy the zany randomness.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2009, 01:07:09 am »

Sonic and the Black Knight on the Wii. All you did was slash at things, and the game somehow inferred a crazy as hell plot from it that made no damn sense.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2009, 01:25:51 am »

Quote from: JoshuaFH
Also, the lady that orders you around is a total bitch that kills the entire story. I hated her SO BAD! She orders me around, does NO work whatsoever, and then steals all the glory for your accomplishments. For example, she makes you travel to an island to serve as a slave ... . Oh, and no matter what you choose, the dumb bitch gets the last laugh because even though YOU are the one that's worked for everything, SHE'S taking all the best rewards, i.e. the most giant and epic tower EVER to live in, and she just kicks your ass out, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Yeah, we knew you could get married in Fable. It's on the back of the box!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2009, 01:31:12 am »

No, not your wife! Wife is always wife!

Also, there was a weird glitch where I could be both married and divorced at the same time, which allowed me to have two wives that lived in the same house. Surprisingly cool, but the first wife (which was both married and divorced at the same time) still demanded the upkeep that I had set prior and I couldn't change it, so I way paying a daily salary for both wives at the same time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:33:13 am by JoshuaFH »

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2009, 01:55:05 am »

Wow, i just remembered that I never actually finished Fable 2, I've still got it sitting on my ecsbawks game pile. The last thing i remember is getting bored of the main story and buying all the alcohol i could find and drinking it all at once, while naked, in the middle of Bowerstone to see what people's reactions would be. Unfortunately, all that happened was my character instantly went from being a well toned hulk of a guy to being the worlds fattest man. I stopped playing after that.

Anyway, bad game design? Three words: Mandatory Optional Quests. God DAMN it annoys me when games have this. I understand that optional quests are fine and can add a lot of replay to the game. But damnit if I want to just rush through the storyline, why is it that it gets to a point where my character is incapable of beating the main quest enemies? Doesn't it defy logic that in order to finish the storyline you are REQUIRED to do things that are marked as 'optional'?

In that way I quite like DA:O's storyline. Sure, the pre-patch enemies had their difficulty dialed up to 12 but since the patch I'm quite enjoying being able to go through the world without spending twice as much time grinding my character on menial 'Please, Lord, fetch me 3 bear skins instead of saving the freaking world' quests.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2009, 04:18:15 am »

I never finished Morrowind. There, I said it.
Why? Because I need to grind to be able to do the main quest (see previous post by muwaha). Well screw that. Also, I get lost. A lot. The capital city is an architectural abomination. The conversation is randomly clicking on 30+ topics per NPC, getting 29 standard responses and one original one that's helpful, and that's if you're lucky. The "getting them to like you" skill is completely random guessing (although Oblivion made it too easy and repetitive). Skill-gaining is slow and boring. I'm constantly casting "heal" while walking from town to town, just to get some skill. Really, WTF.

So I tried again, and again, and after Oblivion, again. Then I gave up. Suck on this, Morrowind.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14