Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Bad game design  (Read 17383 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Bad game design
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2010, 07:50:29 pm »

Numerical Hard can be good- Metroid:Zero Mission's last bit is of note.

But in the Primes it's just sort of meh.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2010, 07:57:31 pm »

Have quick time events been mentioned?  I know you guys hate quick time events.  They're kind of a hit-or-miss thing for me.  If they're so difficult you need to go through them for fifteen minutes memorizing the button combination (This post is directed at you, Jericho) then they completely destroy your immersion and ruin the game's pacing.  If they're easy, but not so easy you can't lose, they can be way better, and pretty intense, especially if it involves a lot of crazy dodging and well-choreographed combat (Jericho had this, but it was so hard you didn't get a good idea of what you were doing, which ruined it.
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2010, 08:17:02 pm »

Have quick time events been mentioned?  I know you guys hate quick time events.  They're kind of a hit-or-miss thing for me.  If they're so difficult you need to go through them for fifteen minutes memorizing the button combination (This post is directed at you, Jericho) then they completely destroy your immersion and ruin the game's pacing.  If they're easy, but not so easy you can't lose, they can be way better, and pretty intense, especially if it involves a lot of crazy dodging and well-choreographed combat (Jericho had this, but it was so hard you didn't get a good idea of what you were doing, which ruined it.

Hah. When you mentioned QTE, Jericho is the first thing that popped into my mind. I went so far as to download someone's save with all cheats unlocked and enabled the "automatically pass all quick-time events" one.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2010, 04:52:36 am »

Hah. When you mentioned QTE, Jericho is the first thing that popped into my mind. I went so far as to download someone's save with all cheats unlocked and enabled the "automatically pass all quick-time events" one.
That game also suffered from having one overpowered character, one character overpowered in a different way and 4 useless ones. There's W+Q Delgado that kills everything but bosses and for the rare examples where he can't target anything, there's Black and her ammo free extra damage hyper agile bullet time redeemer sniper.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2010, 07:33:19 am »

I was talking about RE 4 in the Atmospheric games thread, and that has quick time events as well. Most aren't that bad, and can be done on the first try. However, there's one cutscene about two thirds of the way through the game that has like 10 QTE's in a row... and the button presses needed to complete it are randomized. It takes QUITE a few tries to get past that one point, and is most likely where you'll rack up the most deaths in the game.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2010, 08:22:58 am »

I was talking about RE 4 in the Atmospheric games thread, and that has quick time events as well. Most aren't that bad, and can be done on the first try. However, there's one cutscene about two thirds of the way through the game that has like 10 QTE's in a row... and the button presses needed to complete it are randomized. It takes QUITE a few tries to get past that one point, and is most likely where you'll rack up the most deaths in the game.
Personally I could hardly ram the keyboard fast enough to evade the boulder in RE4. But it reached a whole new level of annoyance in RE5 when cutscenes were QTE driven even in freaking coop, meaning that if one of us missed a button, we had to restart the cutscene and try again.

The only game I can recall where actual Quick Time Events were done well was Die Hard Arcade (a.k.a. Dynamite Cop), simply because you didn't have to reach for some ridiculous amount of buttons, you had a reasonable amount of time to press the appropriate button and the only consequence for failing it was either some lost health or an extra fight.

They were also done tollerably in Prototype, in that they were rather intuitive, you had a reasonable amount of time to do them and there was no real tragedy if you failed them. Just that you had to do them a few dozen times in the game.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2010, 08:49:54 am »

Ah yeah, call of juarez 1. final scene. You have to shoot a bad guy in the back while you're lying around, dying. Normally you just click the attack button, and they pull their gun and thats that.

Unless it's a duel, which has pretty weird controls.

Up to that point in the game, it would hold your hand, as in "would tell you whenever the following combat was using duel controls". Even when it was obvious.

Well, that last scene uses duel controls but nobody tells you about it. What's so bad about it is, on normal you only have like 1 or 2 seconds to make the right decision. And that's not enough to find out which control scheme is being used now. I'm pretty sure you cannot save at that point, and when you fail, you not only have to the shooty part again, no,

YOU HAVE TO FRIGGIN WATCH SEVERAL MINUTES OF THE SAME CUTSCENE over and over and over and over again. Until you finally find out its duel controls. Then you have to fail two or three times, because it can be tough to aim with so much frustration inside you.

the best part is... i was so full of raeg, because this villain you need to shoot in the back was spared several times by the main character(s). Each and everytime I wanted to reach through the screen and scream at them to finally finish off this bastard, it would be for the best.

Other than that I found it was a very entertaining game.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2010, 08:59:24 am »

That game also suffered from having one overpowered character, one character overpowered in a different way and 4 useless ones. There's W+Q Delgado that kills everything but bosses and for the rare examples where he can't target anything, there's Black and her ammo free extra damage hyper agile bullet time redeemer sniper.
Really? I thought the genius and her boyfriend with the shotty were pretty good. I was looking forward to using them on the last boss, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:06:11 am by Mephisto »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2010, 09:03:02 am »

Persona 4

There is a speach tree later in the game that determines if you continue on with the game... If you say ONE Thing wrong (and trust me it isn't obvious...) you basically have to go through the 15+ minutes of cutscenes and speaches.

The Worst part? It is possibly the most emotional part of the ENTIRE game! So rewatching it 10 times in a row uttarly kills the mood.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2010, 10:36:03 am »

Not at any specific game in particular, but since I'm hard of hearing, I REALLY, REALLY hate sound based puzzles, especially if they don't have any visual cues. If they do, then thats somewhat better, but I still don't like them.

Just about every puzzle game has at least one sound based puzzle, but not all of them have visual cues or do it very well. The Myst series has a few in each game but they were accompanied by subtitles which really helps.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2010, 10:37:36 am »

Whenever a game has color-based puzzles, I wonder how the colorblind people of the world are managing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2010, 10:40:46 am »

Just about every puzzle game has at least one sound based puzzle, but not all of them have visual cues or do it very well. The Myst series has a few in each game but they were accompanied by subtitles which really helps.

I hated that puzzle.  Fortunately I was already following a walkthrough for the most part, but that entire book made no sense to me (conceptually it did, but attempting to discern the difference between musical notes is very difficult for me, and IIRC, there was a 30 note sequence that was played once as the solution to the next puzzle, but good luck piecing the bits together and remember the tune).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2010, 10:45:44 am »

The key to playing the Myst series and other games like it is to take notes.

The design got better from Riven onwards though.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2010, 10:52:19 am »

The design got better from Riven onwards though.

Which I played through for the story, rather than the puzzles, so I pretty much had the walkthrough up from day 1.  And having paid $5 for each of them, it cost the same amount as a paperback, so I was satisfied.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2010, 11:47:58 am »

Ssssllooowww waaaalkiiinnggg prroooottaaagggooniiiiissssttsss. Who have to walk all the way back and all the way forward again to pick up a nonsense item (The Experiment, which is otherwise a decent game).

Also: Nonsensical conversation and statements, because you decided to take a different route than the devs imagined. "I can't use this for the guard dogs". Ok, what guard dogs? I haven't seen any?! Half an hour later: "Oh, those dogs".

Quicktime can be done well (Fahrenheit) or REALLY BAD (that last Prince of Persia iteration which ruined 20+ years of a very decent franchise).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14