Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Bad game design  (Read 17368 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bad game design
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2010, 06:09:34 am »

Um...

Mass Effect now has ammo?

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2010, 08:16:23 am »

Unfortunately, yes. You get 10 sniper bullets, 15 shotgun shells, 2 grenades, 70 or so pistol rounds and 440 assault rifle cartridges. The only reason i didn't run out of the last was because every ammo pickup contains 120 of them instead of anywhere between 0 and 10. And enemies take more then more sniper bullet to the face to kill most of the time. They also implemented locational damage, which seems to mean headshots, since i haven't managed to get any fancy effects when aiming for limbs like shown in the trailer.

Hacking is even worse now, they replaced the frogger with memory and some weird shmup that you can fail randomly by bad wall placement, bioshock style. No idea what the consoles are getting, knowing the difference between frogger and simon says, something even more irritating i think.

Lastly, scanning planets no longer involves clicking a button but going into a planetary view, holding down the right mouse button and dragging the cursor until the graph that indicates that there's something there spikes, wiggling around a bit to find the exact spot, and clicking to toss out a probe and loot one of the 4 different-but-identical resources there. Repeat about 25 times for a "moderate" resource planet. Probes, which you can only carry a limited amount of and need to be bought on the other side of the galaxy with the only resource that matters at all: money. and why is "other side of the galaxy" a problem you might ask? Because you no longer travel by clicking places but holding down the mouse button on the target and wait till a slow ass minature version of your ship reaches that destination, made more difficult by that the view shifts in a non-linear pattern so keeping the pointer aimed at an asterioid is more difficult then the combat, which roughly goes "find wall, activate bullet time, shoot something, hide and let it recharge, repeat". They also removed the stats on the guns so now have to choose them by feeling alone(hint, everything other then the sniper sucks).

What's worst is that i lost my original save by getting windows 7 and none of the (two, in total) preset histories make any sense. So i have to finish ME1 again just to get the universe i wanted, instead of just filling in a questionnaire, which would even make complete sense in the deus ex machina scene in the tutorial.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2010, 02:09:37 am »

You know what cheeses me off more than anything else?  Pathological save/load mechanisms, especially on console games.

If I just lost a level, or if I just finished a match on a fighting game, and I want to replay it, DON'T TAKE FIVE SECONDS TO RELOAD THE LEVEL.  You shouldn't have unloaded it from memory in the first place!  Soul Calibur 3, I'm looking at you.

I also just got introduced to some Tiger Woods golf game on the PS3, which is a very good example of awful saving mechanisms.  Okay, I just finished a match with four players.  It asks me:
Save changes to profile 1?  yes/NO
Save changes to system data?  yes/NO
Profile 1 already exists. Overwrite?  yes/NO
Save changes to profile 2? etc
...yes, I have to hit 'yes' on twelve dialogue boxes, and the default is 'no' on all of them.

On the subject of pathological money issues in games, SimFarm was a lot of fun in that respect!  You could buy and sell plots of land.  Of course when you bought up some land, the price of land in the area went up a bit since it was scarcer, and when you sold it, it would go down.  My grandparents discovered that each time they bought and sold the same plot of land, they made about $1,000!  However, when the end of the year TAXES came around with a hefty fee for each transaction, they were very unhappily surprised...  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2010, 02:15:07 am »

Alright while I know this isn't exactly fair to say but "Face sculpters" like The Sims 2, 3, Mass Effect, Oblivion, and such

They arn't HORRIBLE but I have an impossible time making characters that actually look good and believe it or not, I realise it is petty, but a large turn off for me and videogames is having bad looking characters.

I kinda wish many of them were easier to use.

Other then that

Persona 4... The FIRST bonus boss in the game is actually the toughest boss in the game. Why? Because at anytime the boss can immediately destroy your entire party. It turns into a luck based battle where your hoping he is stunned or doesn't use his finisher. This wouldn't be soo bad if each bonus boss was this difficult but frankly every bonus boss afterwords was pathetically easy, in fact none of the actual bosses were as tough.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:18:24 am by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2010, 02:15:49 am »

So you could screw all your neighbors by taxing them to death?

I remember another sim game, by the name of SimTower, or something. I don't remember alot about it, since it was years ago, but I remember that elevators were horrifically unintuitive to make, and that it was mathematically impossible to turn a profit, so you're doomed to bankruptcy from the very start.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2010, 02:21:13 am »

I never actually had a problem making money in SimTower...

The problem I had is that I made a grand money making hotel with great security, great service, and happy tenants with plenty of access to elevators... The problem was I built the hotel as wide as possible and couldn't continue after the 50th (or 25th) floor because all my elevator slots were taken up. So ESSENTIALLY if it wasn't for the cap I could have easily beat the game.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2010, 02:23:07 am »

I'm thinking we're talking about different things. Was yours 2D?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2010, 02:33:40 am »

I'm thinking we're talking about different things. Was yours 2D?

Yes, I didn't know there was a SimTower in 3d.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2010, 02:37:07 am »

and did it look like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because that's what I'm talking about.

Then again, I played it back in middle school, and I didn't bother learning the controls. But hey, I don't remember their being a tutorial.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2010, 02:41:02 am »

Yes it did... I guess I found the secret way of making money or somehow I got my hands on a fixed version.

Does it become impossible later on somehow? Like an invisable time limit where your taxes increase every year.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2010, 02:44:14 am »

So maybe it wasn't bad game design anymore than it was just me being impatient and stupid. I really don't have it anymore, so now I just sound more stupid.

You can call me stupid now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2010, 02:50:17 am »

So maybe it wasn't bad game design anymore than it was just me being impatient and stupid. I really don't have it anymore, so now I just sound more stupid.

You can call me stupid now.

Your not stupid. Your mistake was likely that you bought a lot of Condos to make money. Condos in the game are TRAPS! because guess what? Condos don't pay for their land or utilities like they do in real life.

Which yes is a game flaw. Why include features that SEEM good only to trap players in the long run? I realise Simcity always included that with things like High-density Industrial sectors but the player would at least catch on that Pollution = Bad. This game not only rewards you with instant cash and extra tenants to shop at your stores.

It has a few other traps: Building too wide, building the Subway too high, and Movie Theatures.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2010, 03:30:53 am »

Ah, I miss sim tower.

And yes, condos can kiss my ass, only build them when you need permanent residency for the next star level.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2010, 04:07:34 am »

I feel like playing Simtower now. It's not impossible, it's just that the elevator system (and limit!) is awkward. You have to combine stairs and elevators properly. The game might as well be called SimElevator with all its elevator complexity.

Condos are actually quite good for quick money, and if you want a lower density thing.

Heh, I didn't even know people played that game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2010, 04:21:39 am »

Yeah, the elevator thing is annoying, but mostly all you have to do is remember the rule the programing goes by that limits tenants to taking no more than two methods of transportation to get from point A to point B.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14