Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Please Participate!  (Read 90739 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Please Participate!
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2010, 08:53:59 pm »

I'd refine your cutoff points to three extinction events that are more meaningful, not just from a scientific point of view but also in terms of how they'll change the mod's flavor:

1) Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction, dinosaurs, plesiosaurs, etc.
2) Pleistocene extinction, mammoth, cave bear, dire wolf, glyptodonts, terror birds, etc.
3) Holocene extinction, moas, aurochs, thylacine, etc.

Group 1 could also incorporate animals that died in earlier extinction events, but regardless, that whole group isn't worth worrying about yet.  Most of the enthusiasm has focused on groups 2 and 3.  My opinion is that each of these groups should have its own separate pack.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2010, 08:57:10 pm »

Hmm interesting...

Though the Aurochs existed until the 1600s.

So I am not sure why you would eliminate them.
Just checked, Halocene is modern.

Though that still doesn't help because Mammoths became extinct in the Halocene. Same with Dire Wolves.

Holocene isn't a proper distintion for what I am asking. As that involves animals that went extinct 10,000 to modern day.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:59:27 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2010, 09:00:13 pm »

I suppose there is some ambiguity there, yeah.  I wouldn't object if animals that went extinct after 1400 or whatever were included in the "regular" Ark Project pack.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2010, 09:01:53 pm »

Yeah.  If they were alive in 1400, main Ark project sounds good to me.  Extinct before that, Halocene pack, and so on and so forth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2010, 09:03:01 pm »

I suppose there is some ambiguity there, yeah.  I wouldn't object if animals that went extinct after 1400 or whatever were included in the "regular" Ark Project pack.

Ok from what your saying, animals that went extinct before 1000 AD should be excluded from this project. (Though personally I would put my limit to "Roman Empire" or rather around year 0)

What do you think? 1400s, 1000s, or 0s?

Though to be truthful I RARELY find historically extinct creatures...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:17:14 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2010, 09:16:17 pm »

Ok from what your saying, animals that went extinct before 1000 AD should be excluded from this project.

Animals that went extinct before 1400 should be relegated to secondary creature packs, yes.  (I don't think anyone's attached to 1400 as a firm cutoff, it's just the guideline that's been used for technology and so on.)  Looking over wikipedia's extinction timeline, though, it looks like a "Holocene pack" would be so small that it could just be folded in with the Pleistocene animals.  So maybe just this, then:

1) Ark Project main pack -- animals that hadn't gone extinct by 1400
2) Pleistocene pack -- animals that went extinct during the Pleistocene, or during the Holocene up to 1400
3) Dinosaurs or whatever
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:18:04 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2010, 09:31:04 pm »

I am so evil but I think Ill only list animals that are extinct that I find particularly interesting. Does that make me a bad person?

Ill format later.

Also the person doing that page for the project is sneaking in some rather ancient animals.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:34:57 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2010, 09:34:57 pm »

I am so evil but I think Ill only list animals that are extinct that I find particularly interesting. Does that make me a bad person?

That's actually a good thing, as long as you're not too idiosyncratic about it.  There should be a higher standard of interesting-ness for extinct animals, I think.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2010, 10:11:34 pm »

Well I got them. Here they are Pre-formatting which Ill do later. a "*" means they will need to be renamed.

I also included my reasons for including some of them. Though these are hardly all the extinct species I found or qll that would be interesting. One creature I skipped was an Asian Rhino known as the "Hairy Rhino"

-Tasmanian Wolf (AKA Tiger Wolf)* (It looked cool)
-Haast Eagle (AKA Giant Eagle) (Giant Eagle!)
-Dwarf Emu (Small!)
-Bluebuck (AKA Blue Antelope) (It was a blue mammal. You don't see that often)
-Lava Mouse (Lives in Fissures)
-Atlas Bear (Orange large Vegetarian bear)
-Hoshu Wolf* (Small cute wolf)
-Syrian Wild Ass* (Color Change)
-Pink-headed Duck (It was pink)
-Stellar's Sea cow* (3 times larger then a normal Sea cow)
-Sea Mink (Coastal Mammal)
-Falkland Islands Wolf (AKA Warrah)* (No reason)
-Heath Hen
-Great Auk
-Emerald Humming-Bird (Made up name for two extinct species. Gould’s Emerald and Brace’s Emerald)
-Xerces Blue* (I find this butterfly rather beautiful)
-Rocky Mountain Locust* (It apparently had the largest swarms in history by huge margins)
-Pied Raven
-Huia
-Bush Wren
-Laughing Owl (Creeeeeepy)

Also though not extinct...

Id love to add the "Gold Beetle" to the list... because it really does look gold. Though there seems to be several kinds.

Also I am asking permission ahead.

There is a beetle that is classified as a Tiger Beetle. However it is a solid Emerald Green. Can I include it in the ark as a "Emerald Beetle"?

Honestly I am getting annoyed. Soo many amazing Beetles with bad names. There is a Silver Beetle too, its name is "Leaf Beetle". I swear I am going to find a Rainbow colored beetle that cures the flu and has a venom that causes a halucinary stupor and it will be called the "Common Beetle".

So can I also have permission to include a Leaf Beetle under the name of "Silver Beetle"?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:40:28 pm by Neonivek »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2010, 10:40:24 pm »

It would be cool to not only give those names, but to also actually make the insects out of their named material, so that giant versions of them will be ACTUALLY gold/silver/emerald/etc.  That's be awesome.

Maybe it's out of the scope of the project though.

Also, Stella's Sea Cow actually went extinct 1700s, so that's fit for main inclusion.

Now then, as for speed standards... we might want to have a sub-project of collecting DF's current speeds for animals, comparing the numbers to those animals' actual speed, and getting some metrics from there.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 12, 2010, 10:48:08 pm »

Maybe it's out of the scope of the project though.

Yes, very much so.

Stick with the real names when they're feasible.  You can use the new DESCRIPTION tag to discuss its beautiful coloration.

Now then, as for speed standards... we might want to have a sub-project of collecting DF's current speeds for animals, comparing the numbers to those animals' actual speed, and getting some metrics from there.

That may not be a worthwhile pursuit until the SPEED tag gets removed to allow separate movement speeds, attack speeds, etc.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:51:10 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 12, 2010, 10:57:29 pm »

Well there are many kinds of Tiger and Leaf Beetles. They just don't name individual subspecies of it and many of these live very far appart (Seperate Countries)

That is why it drives me crazy as it makes no sense to what would be, for EVERYONE who would even care about such a thing, an amazing looking creature to be named something that DOESN'T DESCRIBE IT.

I mean seeing an "Silver Beetle" would be interesting. Seeing a "Leaf Beetle" and then looking and seeing "It is a shimmering Silver in Color" is less interesting.

They arn't even different colors of the same animal. The Leaf Beetle the species is named after will never turn a shade of silver.

Lets just sum it up as it drives me nuts and I am willing to push the issue especially since one of the first things I wanted to do in Dwarf Fortress was go bug collecting (It turns out the game actually has a very limited array of insects).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:03:25 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2010, 11:28:59 pm »

Well there are many kinds of Tiger and Leaf Beetles. They just don't name individual subspecies of it and many of these live very far appart (Seperate Countries)

That problem is hardly unique to beetles.  We don't want individual subspecies, at least not until we have basic representatives of each insect family.  I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but it won't benefit the project if we end up with all 350,000 beetles and zero wasps.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:27 pm »

I don't want 350,000 Beetles...

I mostly want the ability to include some creatures that I find interested that don't warrent their current names.

Which currently lists at 3-4 and won't go above 10.

*Does some research*

Aha, I caught it. These arn't Subspecies they are just named after their "Family"

So then I want permission to give two creatures with the same name, different names or creatures with only scientific names a name of my choice or at least a name suggestion.

Actually I think I may have an evil/normal solution that avoids Footkerchief's objections (Of whom has greater sway then I do). Though it is going to require quite a bit of research and I should probably format my extinct creatures first.

Alright so Ill format my extinct creatures... THEN Ill start adding as many interesting insects and bugs as I feel is nessisary without going over the limits expressed by Footkerchief (as in they have to be a species)

If they don't have a proper name then Ill suggest one and everything will be fine :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:03:46 am by Neonivek »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2010, 11:04:34 am »

God Damn it, I hate today. First my sandwich has egg in it, and now the page crashes after I've added all the spiders to it. They're all there, anyway. I'll add the wiki links later. Took me about an hour to track everything down the first time...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22