Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Please Participate!  (Read 90787 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Please Participate!
« Reply #225 on: January 07, 2010, 07:29:57 pm »

You know, having typed this all out, it seems to me that you just made an oversight and meant century.
It was just a vague arbitary cut-off point, to distinguish things like dodos and european lions from Glyptodons and Mammoths. Perhaps animals that went extinct post -1400 should automatically be included ;)

The first thing I would think when bidden, "Hippopotamus", would probably be "Africa", for instance.
That's only because Africa is currently the only suitable habitat for them. Hippo bones have been found in Trafalgar Square, dated from warmer periods of history.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2010, 08:41:36 pm »

If all these animals use the default PET_VALUE and MOD_VALUE tags, then if one embarks as humans belonging to a large entity, one will be able to buy tons different varieties of 2 value meat, essentially a massive discount on barrels.

This might be a concern worth considering.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2010, 11:32:09 pm »

i reckon don't worry about it;  its a fantasy game, why not have fantasy eco-systems, simulating what might happen if a "marsupial devil" shared a habitat with dodo's and dwarfs.  war mammoths?  yes please.

also does anyone know any good dinosaur raws i can chuck into my game?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:11 pm »

I guess the problem lies in the fact that animals like the Bengal Tiger have no other non-colloquial names. They cannot cease to be Bengali. If they do, they cease to be recognisable.

I'd probably be inclined to leave in the geographical eponyms for those species which are commonly known as such, and find some least-objectionable common-use substitute for those which are not.

You know, if when you remove the geographic eponym and there's nothing left to distinguish the animal, maybe it doesn't deserve to have its own unique entry for Dwarf Fortress?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2010, 01:27:43 am »

I guess the problem lies in the fact that animals like the Bengal Tiger have no other non-colloquial names. They cannot cease to be Bengali. If they do, they cease to be recognisable.

I'd probably be inclined to leave in the geographical eponyms for those species which are commonly known as such, and find some least-objectionable common-use substitute for those which are not.

You know, if when you remove the geographic eponym and there's nothing left to distinguish the animal, maybe it doesn't deserve to have its own unique entry for Dwarf Fortress?

The idea I have had for some of these situations where you have basically the same animal in different locations (when there is nothing to distinguish them) is that perhaps they should be semi-eliminated.

I say Semi in that what actually happens is you take the original creature and you add biomes (assuming you can add any).

This idea COULD be expanded where differences could just be written as Non-renamed castes.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2010, 05:04:25 am »

Posting to keep abreast of things in here ...

And also, Volcano Rabbit! Awesome ... !

Will we be able to get a big net in Adventure mode, then trawl the world collecting all the rare and wonderful creatures we come across?

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2010, 06:45:20 am »

What is the purpose of the asterisks on the wiki page? Some seem to mark creatures needing renaming, but that obviously doesn't apply to "piranha" or "swan".

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2010, 07:58:56 am »

Well, whether one does agree with the reasoning or not, not using geographical names is Toady's approach, so it makes sense to try to enforce the rule here as well.

Oh, cool.  I like bear devil and pouch devil.

Yeah, but I wonder if that would be somewhat confusing for the player, because he or she might think what mulls outside the fortress is an actual 'devil'. Well of course this can be resolved quickly by looking at the creature description, but I guess in general one criterion for the naming should be that the player gets an idea of what kind of animal it is as quickly as possible, even if the name as such is not recognized...

Can't think of a better alternative for the Tasmanian devil either, though.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2010, 08:54:07 am »

also does anyone know any good dinosaur raws i can chuck into my game?

Track down Raphite1's Mezozoic mod. Looked pretty good to me.

TSB

• Bay Watcher
  • It's the TSB experience.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2010, 02:25:13 pm »

In regards to "redundant species", wouldn't one solution be to simply change their biomes to fill out lesser populated ones?

I went through D16 creature raws, and a total of 22 creatures were allowed to be generated in a swamp biome, 10 of which were vermin. This includes creatures with (NOT_FREEZING) tokens. A swamp is supposed to have a dearth of biodiversity, and certain examples like the swamp pig, alligators, mosquitoes, and other additions that make sense would add a wealth of diversity, which it seems to me is be one of the main goals of this project.

Every biome has it's own unique creatures, and before excluding creatures because there are already 17 types of pig, it would be prudent to make sure every biome is represented properly. Having 700 spawnable animals on a location in the forest is all well and good, but if the swamp has only 22, something isn't right.

I love the idea of this project, and I applaud the people that are making it work.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2010, 05:46:07 pm »

The issue isn't between lets say the Warthog and the Potbelly Pig.

It isn't between the Fieldmouse and Titmouse

The issue is between lets say (because I checked this out) The Japanese Horseshoe Crab and The Horseshoe Crab. Where the noticable differences between all 4 species is just its location.

Nothing has been excluded yet. In fact the project isn't even close to the point where even including is happening. We are just mostly debating (unfortunately there is no where to really debate this other then this thread) about issues that will come up before we even get to them.

Raneman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2010, 06:23:12 pm »

If this is the ark, where is the flood?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:05 pm »

If this is the ark, where is the flood?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where isn't the flood?

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2010, 06:59:34 pm »

If no one is doing Armadillos, I can try making them. What biomes do you think they should live in?

Grassland, desert?
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2010, 07:52:13 pm »

Are you just making an armadillo, or different species of armadillos?
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22