Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Please Participate!  (Read 90803 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Please Participate!
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2010, 10:50:32 pm »

Don't call anything Giant unless it is a larger version of a more generic creature.  I'm definitely for the naming convention of dropping "Giant" from mundane creature names. So Giant Panda -> Panda.  That way, we can have our mountain-sized pandas be really giant.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2010, 11:24:57 pm »

I'm compiling a(n orderly) list of birds. Gotten about one tenth of the way through.

We can always replace giant on a creature with "greater". If there is two types.
Meh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2010, 11:26:46 pm »

Eventually we are going to have to have a convention on names for creatures with names like Californian Condor and things like that.

Anyhow Ill get to work on my addition but I don't know what has already been done.

Were Ostritch already done?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2010, 11:38:19 pm »

I'm compiling a(n orderly) list of birds. Gotten about one tenth of the way through.

Better to post a partial list sooner rather than a complete list later, just in case somebody else starts on their own list of birds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2010, 11:40:19 pm »

If I had somewhere to put it I'd collect what everyone has already put down and put it into several categories.

Also GOODNESS should I even bother to list all of a species if they are hardly different? The Horseshoe crab has 3 cousins who do not differ from itself in a significant manner.

Edit Addition Below

Alright time to get this underway. So Ill do the families of the creatures I put down.

These creatures being: The Horseshoe Crab, The Hooded Pitohui, The Cassowary, and because I want to the Ostritch. In that order (But not all right now)

I'd love to include special traits of some of these but I guess I am just adding to a list, especially since I am only adding the Pitohui because three of its kind are highly poisonous (Their skin and feathers contains the same toxin poison dart frogs have). Though some of these (especially the horseshoe crab) has fairly unexceptional family members. Really I'd be just as happy keeping all of them as “Horseshoe crab” and forgetting about the others.

Limulidae
-Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_crab
-Mangrove Horseshoe Crab (Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinoscorpius_rotundicauda
-Costal Horseshoe Crab (Tachypleus gigas): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachypleus_gigas
-Japanese Horseshoe Crab (Tachypleus tridentatus): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachypleus_tridentatus

Pitohui
-Hooded Pitohui (Pitohui Dichrous): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooded_Pitohui
-Variable Pitohui (Pitohui kirhocephalus): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Pitohui
-White-bellied Pitohui (Pitohui incertus): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-bellied_Pitohui
-Rusty Pitohui (Pitohui ferrugineus): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Pitohui
-Crested Pitohui (Pitohui cristatus): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crested_Pitohui
-Black Pitohui (Pitohui nigrescens): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Pitohui
-Brown Pitohui (LOST)

I guess Ill edit this for format later.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:16:00 am by Neonivek »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2010, 02:18:10 am »

That finishes off three of the four mammal clades, leaving Laurasiatheria (which, unsurprisingly, is the largest one by far).
Phew.  All the remaining mammals are in Cetartiodactyla (whales and even-toed ungulates) and Chiroptera (bats).
Well, right off the wiki:

Laura-clade

Cetartiodactyla
err, well the wki doesn't actually give a proper chain to follow and is using unranked clades but it's a reorganization to group whales, hippos, and pigs. Better to just leave the aquatic stuff to a list of cetaceans and the others in their regular clades as there will actually be info there. Silly placental mammals and their early low resolution clades~

Bats "Chiroptera"
Lot of species here but the reasonably condensed list goes:
    Fruit bats (what you probably picture when you think of vampires)
    Sac-winged bats (little bit lighter, have pheromone sacks on their wings and short tails.)
    Bumblebee bat (has the nose that looks like a pig. Small enough that it almost has to be vermin and should maybe be omitted.)
    Horseshoe bats (they have a little doodlebop on their noses shaped like a horseshoe or leaf.)
    Slit faced bats (they've got a split down the middle of their face and their tails end in a T. Also have a nose-leaf)
    Ghost bat (has a membrane that makes it look like a ghhost and is otherwise shaped like a vampire bat but eats insects. No tail.)
    Vesper bats (common bat.)
    Pallid bats (vesper bats with big eyes and ears, probably omit.)
    Free tail bats (Might want to just do Western mastiff bat because it's so big, for a bat.)
    Funnel Ear Bats
    Sucker Foot bats
    Fisherman bats (they've got food pouches in their face- also called bulldog bats.)
    Mystacinidae (These spend a lot of time walking instead of flying and can tuck away their wings. Only one species still around.)
    Moustache bats (these are the commercial guano producers because they have such huge colonies.)

-and holy crap leaf nose bats. Probably just make one creature for these but really common.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2010, 02:51:11 am »

Cetartiodactyla
err, well the wki doesn't actually give a proper chain to follow and is using unranked clades but it's a reorganization to group whales, hippos, and pigs. Better to just leave the aquatic stuff to a list of cetaceans and the others in their regular clades as there will actually be info there. Silly placental mammals and their early low resolution clades~

The clade tree is on the right of this page, if that's what you meant.  I didn't mean that all those clades should be done as one single group, I was just giving people an idea of where to look if they wanted to contribute.

Bats "Chiroptera"

I think Lancensis said he was going to tackle bats, that's why I was holding off on those.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2010, 08:03:54 am »

I think Lancensis said he was going to tackle bats, that's why I was holding off on those.

Nah, be my guest. I just got back from holiday anyways. I'll have a look through the thread and see what hasn't been done yet. I think we're still missing some nice tropical frogs, and some seals. I reckon the Leopard Seal would make a good successor to the carp.

EDIT: Put together a bunch of seals - Got about 10 in all, since I doubted people would have much patience with a huge number of frankly not very unique animals.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:57:06 pm by Lancensis »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2010, 03:42:09 pm »

EDIT: Put together a bunch of seals - Got about 10 in all, since I doubted people would have much patience with a huge number of frankly not very unique animals.

10 sounds like a nice number.  I'm not at all attached to my list of pinnipeds.

Swine
* Pygmy Hog
* Bushpig
* Bearded Pig <--- VERY DWARFY! ACTUALLY HAS A BEARD!
* Red River Hog
* Domestic Pig (Can just call it a Pig)
* Giant Forest Hog <--- Since we may have giant versions of animals anyway, may just want to call these "Forest Hogs".
* Warthog

I got to the suborder Suina and noticed a few swine missing from this list:

I'd also recommend removing the Red River Hog since apparently they're hard enough to tell apart that they were considered a single species until recently.

Swine (revised)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:55:05 pm by Footkerchief »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2010, 03:49:20 pm »

I guess I should make and claim a list of crabs that I'll be making.  As good ol' Wikipedia shows, there's a stupidly large number of very specific crab species.  I have no intention of tackling all or even many of them, but at least enough to reflect proper crabness.  I'll try to pick the most recognizable, but for regional names I'll try to use alternates or just skip over them.  As that page also points out, hermit and king crabs are not "true" crabs, but they're similar enough that I'll be including them in my list.

I suppose I'll put together a list of Precambrian weridos too, not that I suspect anyone else would claim them.  Or that they'll necessarily be used, since to make most of them even big enough to see would be outside the realm of realism.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2010, 04:00:30 pm »

Cetartiodactyla

The clade tree is on the right of this page, if that's what you meant.  I didn't mean that all those clades should be done as one single group, I was just giving people an idea of where to look if they wanted to contribute.
I meant how it didn't give descriptions of what was in a lot of the groups and how most of those articles were stubs. Well, mostly it's how the pages are so erratic in listing these unranked levels.

But if we want to go by that it's
    pig
    hog
    peccary
    camel
    llama
    mouse deer (more mouse than deer)
    musk deer
    deer
    okapi
    giraffe
    pronghorn
    goat
    sheep
    antelope
    bison
    water buffalo
    gazelle
    cow
    hippopotamus
    baleen whale
    toothed whale
    beaked whale
    river dolphin
    (ocean) dolphin
    narwhal
    beluga
    porpoise

I can go in and add particular species names to these if you think I've got a suitable number (big part of why I threw descriptions next to the bats.) I'm quite sure that I've been too general in a few spots but I'm not decisive enough to pick how many hogs- well, looks like you just did that one.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2010, 04:29:19 pm »

I meant how it didn't give descriptions of what was in a lot of the groups and how most of those articles were stubs. Well, mostly it's how the pages are so erratic in listing these unranked levels.

Yes, you have to click around a little to get good lists.  I figured people could handle that.  Looks like you beat me to a few of the cetaceans, but my list is a little more thorough so I'll post it anyway.

Hippopotamuses

Cetaceans - Baleen Whales

Cetaceans - Toothed Whales

Next up: camelids, bovids, cervids and miscellaneous ruminants.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:32:09 pm by Footkerchief »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2010, 05:25:51 pm »

Well, Wikipedia doesn't have information (like names) on many species, but certainly on more than enough.  The big problem is that while most of the entries with any info to speak of kinda describe what the crab looks like, very few of them say how large they are (most are only a few inches though).  Ergo, I've only used entries that at least have a picture to guess by.  I also love that Wikipedia has a special icon for stub articles about crabs. 

But enough qualification.  Let the CRAB BATTLE commence!

Dromiidae

Belliidae Family

Calappidae

Atelecyclidae

Cancridae

Cheriagonidae

Goneplacidae

Majidae

Portunidae

Potamidae

Xanthidae

Varunidae

Ocypodoidea - my favorites

Gecarcinidae Land Crabs

Hexipodidae Outliers

Holy crab crap that's a lot of crustaceans.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2010, 05:55:41 pm »

Camelids

Bovids

Way too many bovids.  I tried to only include the ones that were interesting or at least had cool names.  (credit goes again to Fieari, I checked the bovids against his previous list of sheep to make sure I hadn't missed any)

Cervids

The white-tailed, mule, roe, and brocket deer all look so similar to me that I think they could be merged into a single generic deer, but maybe some deer fanatics would object.  Any thoughts?  (also, credit to Rainseeker's list of four-hoofed mammals, which I checked against)

Other Ruminants

By the way, for those of you keeping score, we have now gone through all the mammals (although I haven't looked over Shoku's list of bats yet).

By my count, depending how many more bats and seals we get, we're looking at maybe 320 new mammal species.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:05:34 pm by Footkerchief »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2010, 04:36:22 am »

Ergo, I've only used entries that at least have a picture to guess by.

I think this is generally a half decent rule-of-thumb.  I used the lack of a picture to eliminate lots of mammal species on the grounds that apparently nobody would miss them.

Apparently king crabs are also known as "stone crabs," so maybe that could be used for one of these.  Unfortunately most players would probably think "stone crab" refers to the Florida stone crab, which would have been hard to find via the crab taxonomy since its superfamily doesn't have a page.  The crab pages look really sparse overall.  Kudos for trawling through them (tee hee).

Anyway, cool to see some invertebrate love.  My next batch will be cartilaginous fish.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22