Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Please Participate!  (Read 90841 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Please Participate!
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2009, 10:17:33 am »

Some animals we jus *need*, they shuld also have giant varities, borglemen and usable in the spoiler stuff:

* Mantis shrimp (giant mantis shrimp should be *deadly*)

OMG YES!

• The giant mantis shrimp punches the dragon.
    The dragon explodes in a cloud of gore!
    The dragon has been struck down!
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2009, 05:28:22 pm »

Some animals we jus *need*, they shuld also have giant varities, borglemen and usable in the spoiler stuff:

* Mantis shrimp (giant mantis shrimp should be *deadly*)

OMG YES!

• The giant mantis shrimp punches the dragon.
    The dragon explodes in a cloud of gore!
    The dragon has been struck down!
Really aside from the reality shattering claws on a mantis shrimp they have a lot in common with the look of the Chinese Dragon. You could probably call them a dragon tank at megabeast size. Only issue is flight but I don't think that's really essential.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2010, 07:10:43 am »

butterflies and caterpillars should just be seperate really, both as differant vermin in the same biomes.
I dont know if cacoons would be a great thing to implement.. as they probably would be rather buggy.
It depends. If Toady allows vermin to accept the [CHILDNAME] tag, than we could do
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:BUTTERFLY_MONARCH]
[NAME:monarch butterfly:monarch butterflies:monarch butterfly]
[TILE:249][COLOR:4:0:1]
[VERMIN_GROUNDER][FREQUENCY:100]
[FLIER][VERMIN_NOTRAP][NOBONES]
[SMALL_REMAINS][NO_WINTER]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]
[SPEED:700]
[NATURAL]
[NO_SLEEP]
[CHILDNAME:monarch butterfly caterpillar:monarch butterfly caterpillars]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[PREFSTRING:coloration]
[DIURNAL]
[BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[MUNDANE]

And then specify that the wings start growing in at x days, the coloration changes and the antenae/legs change size. The only real issue would be that baby caterpillarmen would have tiny wing-nubs at birth. Assuming we even have catterpillarmen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2010, 12:07:53 pm »

Instead of Monarch Butterfly Caterpiller... how about just Monarch Caterpiller?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2010, 01:29:50 am »

Here's an issue: do you think the game is going to be able to say "these wings are too small to fly with so it will walk"?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2010, 06:37:12 am »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2010, 02:21:12 pm »

This project won't officially begin until the new version of DF comes out sometime in December or January of next year.

I think it will come earlier than december this year. Once Toady becomes healthy, I think that he will work on it for 3-4 months more, I believe it won't take longer than 4 months considering the current progress.

I think it would be good to start a google wave project, at least making a catalogue of the changes you're going to make.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2010, 02:26:58 pm »

This project won't officially begin until the new version of DF comes out sometime in December or January of next year.

I think it will come earlier than december this year. Once Toady becomes healthy, I think that he will work on it for 3-4 months more, I believe it won't take longer than 4 months considering the current progress.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but Rainseeker meant "December of 2009 or January of 2010".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2010, 02:57:37 pm »

Well I found my Record book with things such as the most venomous Bird

Oddly enough the world largest moth (at least in 2004) only lives 4 days because it lacks the ability to eat, lacking a mouth and all.

Should I start putting down the animals that are supposed to be interesting?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2010, 03:53:16 pm »

Should I start putting down the animals that are supposed to be interesting?

You can if you want, but like I said earlier, someone will still have to systematically go through the taxonomic groups to find interesting animals that you didn't put down, so it's not much of a time-saver.

Additionally, a miscellaneous list of animals (i.e. animals not belonging to a particular clade) will make it harder to tackle the project in an coherent fashion -- when we start making creature raws, people will be tempted to just do individual species rather than clades of animals.  This is bad.  It'll make the project extremely hard to maintain if, for instance, some of the lizards are built off a single lizard template and some aren't.  And the project will have to be maintained, or it'll become obsolete as new creature abilities get added.

I'm not sure people in here understand how much organization and oversight is needed for such a large (and long-term) collaborative project.  We'll probably need version control (it's a regrettable barrier to entry for people who want to help out, but I don't see a sane way to avoid it).  We'll need people reviewing submissions for quality, and people who can adhere to guidelines, and people who are comfortable maintaining other people's raws.  We will, unfortunately, need all the boring bureaucratic crap that nobody wants to deal with.

I've always been 90% sure this project will collapse under its own weight, but I'll keep making animal lists for now.  They're free for anyone to use for whatever purpose.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:29:10 pm by Footkerchief »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2010, 04:25:56 pm »

I was sarcastic, I am sorry :). But the general purpose was to suggest the Google Wave.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2010, 06:52:08 pm »

When the project starts we (Or rather you) probably should make a "Template" list

Though to my knowledge most just use "Humanoid"

Ill also try to find animals that went extinct in the last, lets say, 1000 or 3000 years.

Also FINE Ill get their species as well. "Someone will still" well you know what... I COULD do it. I feel like I am being discounted (is that the appropriate word?). It isn't "Ohh if you could put down their tax info like I did then it would be much more helpful because we wouldn't have to do it for you" it is "Your not useful get out" in a paragraph.

ERRR PEEVED must calm down

Edit Addition: Hmmm, I was really angry here... uhhh I should really work on that. If I should get rid of the anger aspect just PM me and Ill take it right down. Though it really is just me going through some sort of temper tantrum
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:19:39 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2010, 09:17:57 pm »

When the project starts we (Or rather you) probably should make a "Template" list

Yeah, a template list is a very good idea.  Having official templates and making sure that people use them are crucial steps toward keeping things organized.

Also FINE Ill get their species as well. "Someone will still" well you know what... I COULD do it. I feel like I am being discounted (is that the appropriate word?)

Well, the problem wasn't that you didn't include their species name.  That's easy enough to find.  The main hazard is that... well, here's an example.  Say I decide I want to submit raws for my three favorite lizards: gila monsters, bearded dragons, and komodo dragons.  They all work fine, so they get included in the project.  However, a couple months down the line, the creature format changes -- adding, say, extra material properties more support for predator-prey relationships.  By this point I no longer have time to keep my creatures updated, and whoever's updating all the lizards makes the unpleasant discovery that my three lizards were implemented in a very different way from everyone else's -- I didn't use any creature templates or body detail plans, I added unnecessary custom materials, etc.  The maintainer will have to make an unpleasant decision and possibly do a lot of work that could have been avoided.

Anyway, several orders of Laurasiatheria:

Erinaceomorpha

Soricomorpha

Pholidota

Perissodactyla, the odd-toed ungulates

Carnivora

Phew.  All the remaining mammals are in Cetartiodactyla (whales and even-toed ungulates) and Chiroptera (bats).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:20:35 pm by Footkerchief »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2010, 09:58:24 pm »

This demands a question.  Should the panda, when added, be properly named "Giant Panda", or should it just be named "Panda", and the title "Giant Panda" be reserved for an unrealistically but appropriately gigantic panda?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2010, 10:14:58 pm »

"Giant giant pandas" would be brilliant.

But in all seriousness, I'd say the latter, or something else entirely. Too much cause for confusion otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22