Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Please Participate!  (Read 90853 times)

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Please Participate!
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2009, 02:10:06 am »

Aurochs or Urus / Wild Cattle

extinct 1627
The aurochs was far larger than most modern domestic cattle with a shoulder height of 2 metres (6.6 ft) and weighing 1,000 kilograms (2,200 lb)

Legendary for their aggressive, territorial temperament.

Julius Caesar wrote about them in Gallic War Chapter 6.28, "...those animals which are called uri. These are a little below the elephant in size, and of the appearance, color, and shape of a bull. Their strength and speed are extraordinary; they spare neither man nor wild beast which they have espied. These the Germans take with much pains in pits and kill them. The young men harden themselves with this exercise, and practice themselves in this sort of hunting, and those who have slain the greatest number of them, having produced the horns in public, to serve as evidence, receive great praise. But not even when taken very young can they be rendered familiar to men and tamed. The size, shape, and appearance of their horns differ much from the horns of our oxen. These they anxiously seek after, and bind at the tips with silver, and use as cups at their most sumptuous entertainments."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurochs
Signature goes here.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2009, 02:23:47 am »

We need more coral reef creatures, is there anyway to make them stick to a coral reef area?
Blue ring octopus
Stone fish
Sea snake
Coral
Crown of thorns starfish
Grouper
Sea sponge

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2009, 03:57:32 am »

Apes, as it turns out, are adequately represented in vanilla.

This means that we have now completed (or mostly completed) listing animals from Euarchontoglires, one of the four clades of placental mammals.  This is cool.  Most of the remaining mammals are in Laurasiatheria.  I'll probably tackle another mammal group tomorrow.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2009, 03:58:34 am »

We need more coral reef creatures, is there anyway to make them stick to a coral reef area?
Blue ring octopus
Stone fish
Sea snake
Coral
Crown of thorns starfish
Grouper
Sea sponge

Are there even coral reefs in DF? I'm very doubtful. I think that it would actually be very appropriate to notify Toady of any tags that may be required for upcoming animal additions. We don't want our perfect fauna representation messed up by the randomizer.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2009, 05:39:32 am »

I was searching for what exactly one of the types of lions the Romans 'extincted' was called.  Wikipedia didn't really help, saying that the lions the Romans hunted and used for gladiator bouts were Asiatic, European and Barbary, and after some searching I think European is closest to the picture I was thinking of:

Nevertheless it doesn't look like any other pictures of European lions.  I'd call this one a 'snub-nosed lion', but pictures of European lions show them with normal noses, just flat heads.  Do you think this is a different type of lion or did this one wall-painter just get it wrong?  ???
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2009, 06:58:56 am »

Ah well as it stands now there are no coral reefs but we could mod in coral, although I doubt it would work well still theres always tropical oceans

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2009, 07:42:29 am »

I'd just would like to know what you think about domestic/familiar animals. Someone earlier mentioned horses, saying that "horse" is enough, that we didn't need more diversity. I guess the idea was the same for dogs, cats, cows...

Since no one reacted, I guess most of you agree with this point of view. I, on the other hand, could not disagree more.

Point A: Let's start at the beginning: why differentiate otherwise similar animals? Because for a dwarf they look obviously different, act different (one is aggressive, the other affectionate), have different use (one is good to eat, the other is a good working animal).

Point B: We should also think about the date of "creation" of the breed. A breed selected by the environment since millenia and a new breed developed during the twentieth century for industrial needs don't have the same place in a realistic, but wild universe (should we stay away from "created breeds"?).

If we take these points into account, we should obviously have draft horses (or its wild origin, the forest horse
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
) and ponies (
). A dwarf would not use them for the same purpose, would not meet them in the same biome. Point A: check. They existed and were different before man touched them, so they fulfill point B requirements.

For cows, if point A is obvious (milk cow vs meat, hardy breed vs fragile one), point B is open to discussion. Even for an old breed like highland cattle (
) it seems it was at one early point more or less developed by humans. If a cow geek could help me on this point...

Same thing with dogs. Some eastern sighthounds (borzoļ, afghan
...) seem to be extremely ancient. But they were "created" by humans, like all dogs. But then, why is there any dog at all in DF? World history doesn't explain this. There's dogs since the beginning of the world, while obviously it takes at least a few generation to domesticate wolves.

So if vanilla DF already have altered breeds like dogs, it wouldn't be an heresy to implement different dog (and by extension cow, horse...) breeds. And I don't think I have to explain the interest to make a difference between a harrier (good hunter, frail), a sled dog, a herding dog...

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2009, 12:57:01 pm »

Introducing the newest in "fun": the Giant Wambler!

I haven't really done any raw editing before this, so I may have missed something.  Also, I'm not sure if it's possible to actually have them prefer cows.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:WAMBLER_GIANT]
    [DESCRIPTION:A huge, fluffy, pudge-filled being, known for its warm heart, stumble bumblings and an appetite for cows.]
    [NAME:giant wambler:giant wamblers:giant wambler]
    [CASTE_NAME:giant wambler:giant wamblers:giant wambler]
    [CREATURE_TILE:249][COLOR:7:0:1]
    [PETVALUE:20]
    [PENETRATEPOWER:1][FREQUENCY:100]
    [REMAINS][GOOD][SAVAGE][PET_EXOTIC][NATURAL][LARGE_PREDATOR]
    [BUTCHERABLE]
    [BIOME:ANY_LAND]
    [POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]
    [TRIGGERABLE_GROUP:5:50]
    [PREFSTRING:warm heart]
    [PREFSTRING:huge appetite]
    [PREFSTRING:stumble bumbling]
    [BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE:2EYES:NOSE:MOUTH]
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLUFF:HAIR_TEMPLATE]
        [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:fluff]
        [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:fluff]
    [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FLUFF:HAIR_TEMPLATE]
        [TISSUE_NAME:fluff:NP]
        [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:3]
        [INSULATION:200]
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
    [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SKIN:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUDGE:FAT_TEMPLATE]
        [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:pudge]
        [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:pudge]
        [STATE_COLOR:ALL:PURPLE]
    [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:PUDGE:FAT_TEMPLATE]
        [TISSUE_NAME:pudge:NP]
        [MUSCULAR]
        [FUNCTIONAL]
        [STRUCTURAL]
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:EYE:EYE_TEMPLATE]
    [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:EYE:EYE_TEMPLATE]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:PUDGE:NONE]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:FLUFF]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
    [SPEED:2900]
    [BODY_SIZE:0:0:30000]
    [BODY_SIZE:3:0:200000]
    [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
    [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
    [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
    [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:DEEP_SET:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
    [ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
        [ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
        [ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
        [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
        [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
        [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
        [ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
        [ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
    [DIURNAL]
    [HOMEOTHERM:10070]
    [CASTE:FEMALE]
        [FEMALE]
    [CASTE:MALE]
        [MALE]
    [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
        [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FLUFF]
            [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1]
        [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
            [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:PINK:1]
        [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
            [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2009, 02:06:34 pm »

That's cool, but this thread is for Earth creatures, and the next version's creature variation templates make it unnecessary to give giant versions their own full creature definition.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2009, 02:25:55 pm »

That's cool, but this thread is for Earth creatures, and the next version's creature variation templates make it unnecessary to give giant versions their own full creature definition.

D'oh!  Ah well, it was fun to make.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »

Where can I get the tokens that will be added next version?
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2009, 04:05:27 pm »

Where can I get the tokens that will be added next version?

There's no comprehensive list yet.  You can see an example dwarf here, and a cougar here.  Those reference various materials, tissues and body detail plans that you can see here (although those are a little out of date).

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2009, 10:36:50 pm »

Thanks. I'm thinking about making a Kodiak bear, a hyena, and some pheasants.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2009, 11:32:39 pm »

Before people start, you should probably ask toady his preferred license release terms and get your contributors to agree to it beforehand. Just to be on the safe side, and to maximize the likelihood of vanilla inclusion.

Also, as to corals, Rugose ("horn") corals don't form reefs, so would be a safe bet.

Sea sponges and Sea pens would be other neat non-reef bottom "animals".
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2009, 12:07:39 am »

Odd, Id like to take this time to Remove my addition of: Sea Scorpians

They are even older then Dinosaurs and thus outside the Era of this Ark.

Though Horseshoe Crabs are still good! they even look like Trilobites and live in our era.

I wish I knew the name of the beatle (or however you spell it) that lives near my house. It has a beautiful (in fact stunning) shimmering green shell so much so that I nicknamed it the Emerald Beatle.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22