Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Please Participate!  (Read 90794 times)

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Please Participate!
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2009, 03:25:33 am »

Meh just multiply their sizes by 10000 then. Pretty handy though. Much easier to pinpoint sizes, especially small things.
Meh.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2009, 03:35:02 am »

Yup, and it also lets you do fine-grained size variations between individual members of a species, using BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT and BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS, which, despite their names, affect not just appearance but body size as well.  Similarly a lot of the BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER stuff augments the BP size as well as adding more text to the descriptive paragraph.  The next version owns.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 04:13:07 am »

Yeah I know. I just didn't know about the massive multiplication of size. The skin textures thing looks good. I just hope you can make boots out of things like croc.

EDIT: I quickly noted a few (flightless) birds down (large, penguins and domestic respectivley):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 06:30:16 am by Halmie »
Meh.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 07:32:26 am »

Yeah I know. I just didn't know about the massive multiplication of size. The skin textures thing looks good. I just hope you can make boots out of things like croc.

EDIT: I quickly noted a few (flightless) birds down (large, penguins and domestic respectivley):
should also be noted, that turkeys can indeed fly, but captive livestock birds are normally clipped. ;)
I'm thinking it might be worth while to make a "Domestic" set of each animal as appropriate for humans or dwarves to have. (as they are strong trading partners)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 09:24:48 am »

Allosaurus   Jurassic/Cretaceous   21
Giganotosaurus   Cretaceous      25
Tyrannosaurus   Cretaceous      21
Spinosaurus   Cretaceous      21
 The numbers on the right is there size.

You probably want to switch Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Largesttheropods.svg

Allosaurs only rarely exceeded a couple of tonnes

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2009, 09:03:29 pm »

I don't think that 20 varieties of turtle, and 10 varieties of penguin really do a lot to flesh out the world. Unless there are dynamic differences with how an animal interacts with its environment, how that animal looks, or how it affects civilized beings that interact with it, it may be best to stick with abstracted "types" of animals.

Frankly, "Deer" is quite specific enough, as is "Horse"... However, Snapping Turtle, Sea Turtles, and Tortoises? Though they share some superficially common aspects, they're different enough to warrant subtypes, since they have quite different capabilities and environmental requirements.

When coming up with animals, put yourselves in the shoes of a Dwarven Settler. What animals are going to stand out to you as different in a given biome? Which ones are going to seem the same? Are you going to be able to tell and Emu from an Ostrich, and moreover would differentiating them really affect your life, or the success of your expedition? How about differentiating a Pika from a Degu? A Tiger from a Lynx? A Coyote from a Fox? An Electric Eel from a Lamprey Eel?

On the subject of including extinct fauna of different time-periods and realism: The creation of a fossil is a relatively rare event... many species never made a single fossil that we have discovered on Earth. As such, it's quite likely that many Megafauna lived for a much longer time period than we can historically tell, and probably persisted for significantly longer after said record was created. Moreover, it is a fantasy world only modeled after Earth, and fantastic creatures already exist. Why, then, cling to paleontological accuracy so fiercely? Especially when talking about including Dinosaurs and sentient Hominids in the same world? I don't see why we would need a series of different "time period" critter packs, rather than one big cohesive one.

That's just my 2 cents, take it as you will.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:07:10 pm by Solifuge »

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2009, 09:36:24 pm »

Ok I'll redo my list becuase of your good point.
Although it is the players who decide.

I left the three or four that would be most recognizable in each class.

Also, the dinosaurs were never meant to be in this project, I must of said it wrong. I just mentioned it becuase it seemed relevant.
Meh.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2009, 09:41:47 pm »

This is a project that rounds out the world, IMHO.  Having many different options for the game to choose from is fun and expands the world you embark in, or adventure in.  I am trying to enlist as many people's help as I can, and have it be as fun as possible, so I'm only asking people to do animals they want to.  It should be a lot of fun!

Also, Halmie, I think I'd like to not be too picky as far as the list goes, and make it available for people to choose from, so please don't second guess yourself!

As I said before, and because it's a fantasy game, Dinosaurs are welcome, but I suppose they should probably be in a side project so that users can choose to add them if they want to.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2009, 09:59:20 pm »

Ehh, a lot of fantasy stories and games have dinosaur like creatures in them, DnD in particular. I don't think we should concern ourselves with maintaining excessive realism. They'd just necessarily have to breed slowly and be isolated away from most civilization
!!&!!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2009, 10:43:10 pm »

Ehh, a lot of fantasy stories and games have dinosaur like creatures in them, DnD in particular. I don't think we should concern ourselves with maintaining excessive realism. They'd just necessarily have to breed slowly and be isolated away from most civilization
I agree, definatly a differant RAW file though.. as I could see problems arriving from a raptor in my chicken coop.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2009, 06:01:21 am »

As I said before, and because it's a fantasy game, Dinosaurs are welcome, but I suppose they should probably be in a side project so that users can choose to add them if they want to.

Indeed.

I don't think that 20 varieties of turtle, and 10 varieties of penguin really do a lot to flesh out the world. Unless there are dynamic differences with how an animal interacts with its environment, how that animal looks, or how it affects civilized beings that interact with it, it may be best to stick with abstracted "types" of animals.

Those are basically the criteria I proposed:

I tried to select creatures that were distinct from each other in interesting ways (size, body composition, habitat, diet, etc).

And even following those, it's still easy to end up with tons of turtles.  Many taxa are amazingly diverse despite their shared ancestry.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2009, 06:44:50 am »

this is starting to make me think, if we made a breed of ALL the animals, we could effectively use the legends editor to predict when the apocalypse happens.. We'll need to have it set up directly after the ice age, a differant human clone for each proposed civilization..

this could provide another project all on its own o_o

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2009, 03:36:12 pm »

I am planning to make a major Bear mod when the new version comes out, for a friend of mine who loves bears. Would you guys accept my help? :3
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2009, 01:29:07 am »

I am planning to make a major Bear mod when the new version comes out, for a friend of mine who loves bears. Would you guys accept my help? :3

Yes!  Welcome aboard.

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2009, 01:35:57 am »

Here's some more info from Toady One, he's posted this before, but here it is again to help:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 02:16:24 am by Rainseeker »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22