Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What are the new underground creatures? (Your guesses)  (Read 4457 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: What are the new underground creatures? (Your guesses)
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2009, 09:47:59 am »

A shark riding on an elephant's back, just eating and trampling everything they see.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 04:21:26 pm »

Ghouls. Cannibalistic, maniac ghouls. Of the lovecraftian kind. Which means there needs to be a new feature above ground aswell, forgotten graveyards which the ghouls tunnel through, feeding on the corpses that lay in rest there  ;D

edit: on the whole I would love to see more lovecraftian themes in DF... digging into an abandoned underground temple lets loose a race of Othersiders on your fort, or perhaps you run into a human cult with it's monstrous guard dogs/undead servitors...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:36:37 pm by wrajjt »

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2009, 06:50:41 pm »

I would like to guess Deep Cave Carp, living in deep pools of water deep under the earth, just waiting nigh eons plotting the destruction of the world. I think in D&D they are called Aboleth, IIRC, but Deep Cave Carp just has a better ring to it.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2009, 07:07:46 pm »

I would like to guess Deep Cave Carp, living in deep pools of water deep under the earth, just waiting nigh eons plotting the destruction of the world. I think in D&D they are called Aboleth, IIRC, but Deep Cave Carp just has a better ring to it.
You do know the carps in the new version are gonna be weak?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 07:11:39 pm »

We only have what Toady said to go by, its not a confirmed (as in people encountered them ingame) thing.

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2009, 07:14:52 pm »

Doesn't matter much to me, the guess still stands. If it will make ya feel any better, call it Deep Cave Fish or Deep Cave Aquatic Lifeform. *shrug* Either way, I would picture that lowest level craziness would involve some thing that was or is familiar with water. Perhaps throw in the word Ancient too.  8)

Sorta like this real world thing: http://www.kes.bham.sch.uk/outdoors/caving/cave2/index.htm
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:37:18 am by CanadianWolverine »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that the only part of the Carp that was nerfed was their attack power, which wasn't particularily strong or why they were so dangerous in the first place.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2009, 07:46:14 pm »

It was always a bit puzzling. Obviously they attack in large groups, in an enviroment that's deadly for dwarves, but that can't be it. The wiki gives its swim speed as 500, which if true would mean they attack nearly twice as fast as a dwarf in the best of circumstances, and probably many times faster than one that's swimming/drowning.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2009, 09:14:06 pm »

Carps were dangerous because they'd always pull your dwarves into the damn water where they would drown regardless of how they fought. Hell i know i'll prolly go through the raws and mess around with all of the races birth rates and life spans so if any of them let me down i atleast wont have to worry about them dieing off before i get there and them getting slaughtered off the map without a fight.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2009, 09:45:04 pm »

Yeah, that's pretty much it (seems to me that the dwarves are dodging into the water, but same thing).

All fish can do that sort of thing, but the carp are infamous for it because they're the most common fish and thus the most likely fish to eat your dwarves.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2009, 09:53:44 pm »

At the minute I've got cave-river-dwelling scorpions that can not only swim, but can paralyse. I've been itching to see how they do against dwarves, and I think I have some on my current map.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2009, 10:04:18 pm »

Carp also do gore damage (True of most animals, but fish seem unusually aggressive moreso than most other animals).  Their bites not only cause alot of pain and bleeding, but critical hits cause sever.  When I lose someone to the water, it is SERIOUSLY not uncommon for there to not be a body, so much as "parts".  Often times, you can be watching over a Dwarf, when suddenly they disappear and not one second later, the river is running red.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2009, 04:46:14 pm »

Some kind of giant burrowing worm, I hope.

Bel-Shamharoth would be nice, too. Or some variation. Like a super-tentacle-beak-mandible one-eyed demon.

I expect a lot are thnigs like giant centipedes, woodlice, etc, even though we're getting the Giant ___ and -man templates already.

I wonder: with procedurally generated creatures coming up, would it me too much to hope for manmen?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2009, 07:15:16 pm »

Those insect-gorilla things from the Scamps Dungeon Crawl teaser.
On a related note, maybe we'll see some of the bugs from Kobold Quest...  assuming they aren't all randomly generated.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2009, 08:01:01 pm »

Some kind of giant burrowing worm, I hope.

Bel-Shamharoth would be nice, too. Or some variation. Like a super-tentacle-beak-mandible one-eyed demon.

I expect a lot are thnigs like giant centipedes, woodlice, etc, even though we're getting the Giant ___ and -man templates already.

I wonder: with procedurally generated creatures coming up, would it me too much to hope for manmen?

Are you talking about the alien looking dude in the ad for Mass Effect 2?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5