Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What are the new underground creatures? (Your guesses)  (Read 4448 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are the new underground creatures? (Your guesses)
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 05:46:12 pm »

A morlock is a deeper version of a C.H.U.D. They're both city folk. Troglodytes are the hayseeds of the underground world.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 06:20:31 pm »

Weren't C.H.U.D.s basically zombies?  Or were they actually just mutants?  It's been too long since I've seen the movies.

Anyway, I'm hoping for giant worms myself.  As you can see in my sig.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 06:28:17 pm »

Whats the glowing pits code cause that should be put in the underworld so you'll have a steady constant supply of crazy deadly creatures if you go deep enough and no i dont mean HFS it should have a chance of spawning every underworld creature. I'm really tired of running out of creatures to kill my dwarves--they can be replaced but the skeleton jaguars and hippos those are like wonderful diamonds that can never be replaced. I cry every time a wonderful pit animal dies because i couldent cage it fast enough.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 06:31:25 pm »

From what the Devlog says, if the caves extend out of the map, it'll infinitely spawn creatures, but given the usual power of most fightin' Dwarves, it may (Or may not, depending on how the update as a whole does with fighting and wounds) be a minor nuisance.

Oh Armok, the spice.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 06:33:18 pm »

From what the Devlog says, if the caves extend out of the map, it'll infinitely spawn creatures, but given the usual power of most fightin' Dwarves, it may (Or may not, depending on how the update as a whole does with fighting and wounds) be a minor nuisance.

It could just mean that you won't be able to extinct any underground critters (except for residents) and would spawn like normal wildlife does when left alone.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 07:04:39 pm »

As I remember it, the entry said it would potentially allow for never-ending attacks, but I can't find the relevant post anymore.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 07:11:59 pm »

Weren't C.H.U.D.s basically zombies?  Or were they actually just mutants?  It's been too long since I've seen the movies.

It's a Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller. I'd like some worms too. And possibly some caecelians.

http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.com/2009/10/new-species-of-caecilians-discovered-in.html

I think they'd go well with the vague amphibian feel of the DF underground

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 08:58:56 pm »

Elephant Man (no, not that one) Ninja Assassins, sent to infiltrate your fortress from the depths for the purpose of goring and trampling your butchers and bonecarvers to death.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 10:12:21 pm »

Dman, i wanted to make the spiderman... oh well...

Giant insects, LOTS OF THEM.
Worm like creatures (yay for me being able to mod them :D)
Mole like creatures.
TROLLS
And underground plant men
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 10:51:55 pm »

Those of you with modding talent be sure to mod in like 600 more critters that breed like rabbits and live to kill dwarves, i wonder if your in an evil area will their be undead in the underworld? Haha capturing entire sieges of orcs only to release them into the underworld to get torn apart by the undead ravening horrors, it will take some work but you could funnel the entrances/exits ensuring theres no peaceful running off the edge of the map.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 11:42:16 pm »

Gelatinous Cubes. They can shuffle along when you're not looking at that area, blocking off any tunnels and eating any dwarves that try to path through them.

/edit
Beware especially of Skeletal Gelatinous Cubes, creatures of such mindbending terror that simply thinking about them can cause your head to explode.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:45:50 pm by Kazindir »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 11:50:51 pm »

Shai Hulud would require lots of sand and be a multi-tile creature, but something like those worms from the Tremor movies would be cool.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2009, 12:20:48 am »

/edit
Beware especially of Skeletal Gelatinous Cubes, creatures of such mindbending terror that simply thinking about them can cause your head to explode.

Wat
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2009, 12:32:24 am »

Shai Hulud would require lots of sand and be a multi-tile creature, but something like those worms from the Tremor movies would be cool.

Hahahahaha 100 tiles long, just the mouth crashes through your map edge and slaughters your embark party--if you manage to get into stone before that anything walking on the sand would cause this massive brown head to pop on your screen, finally a fix for those wandering cats. Hell once we allow creatures to dig we could totally make a dune fortress, no surface water anywhere you have to build wind stills to catch water, any dwarf that becomes a burden for the community walks onto the sands where a giant vortex appears and swallows him up and god breaches from the sand.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2009, 07:27:17 am »

Yeah, when I think "Giant Worm" I actually think "Graboid".  Dune sandworms are awesome, but they seem a bit too tame compared to the tentacle-tongued, actively malicious and, most of all, intelligent graboids.  I mean hell, they can learn how to avoid traps.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:29:17 am by Shima »

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5