Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What are the new underground creatures? (Your guesses)  (Read 4460 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: What are the new underground creatures? (Your guesses)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 09:15:18 pm »

Rock Dragons.  You thought the dragons before could get nasty?  Wait 'til you see one that breathes Orthoclase at you.  Whatever you do, do not ever let a Lignite-breathing Rock Dragon cross a fire-breathing regular Dragon...
Sanity is for the weak.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 09:35:44 pm »

Some kind of giant burrowing worm, I hope.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 11:01:16 pm »

The Drow

Mindflayers

Shoggoths

Just so that if Wizards of the Coast don't sue the pants off him, HP Lovecrafts heirs will

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 11:12:02 pm »

The Drow

Mindflayers

Shoggoths

Just so that if Wizards of the Coast don't sue the pants off him, HP Lovecrafts heirs will

Lovecraft didn't leave any heirs. His sometime publisher Arthur Derleth assumed responsibilty for his estate (and regardless of how he messed up the mythos somewhat, went to great efforts to stop Lovecraft's work from falling into obscurity) Most of Lovecraft's work aside from some postumous stuff is now public domain, anyway.

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 02:09:39 am »

Toilet Worms
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 02:26:16 am »

a creature rather like a cross between a whip scorpion and some sort of large black cat. 

Something like...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, I was thinking of something like macroscopic hyperthermophiles (or colonies thereof) living near underground magma pools; perhaps something similar in structure to a gelatinous monster but with extremely high body temperatures.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:31:05 am by CursedBurger »

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 04:16:56 am »

I'm surprised we don't yet have salamanders.

But don't just make them fiery lizards, do something interesting.

A high body temp, immune to lava and fire, melts the tile they are on, can cross shallow water by evaporating it. Fire breath, too.

Make them have a hive/pack mentality, and castes, like antmen. So you have Hunter/Defender Salamanders (larger, male, defend the rest of them), Working Salamanders (female, children, 'working' explained in next paragraph), and named Hierarch Salamanders (male mostly, much larger and hotter, generally tougher). They aren't a civilisation, like the ants, but some obvious caste system and working together would be a nice little bit of information.

If creatures can burrow in the future, or if the underground can generate small, winding paths with little holes off them for 'living', this is where the salamanders live. Normally AROUND the outside of a magma pipe, over a few z-levels, and this is dug out by the shovel-headed workers (in reality, it was pre-generated, obviously, since burrowing pathfinding must be nigh-on impossible). The arrow-headed males to the fighting, unless the workers and Hierarchs are provoked. Hierarch Salamanders are only a little better than dragons in terms of ease to kill; if weapon degredation is included, using a wooden or inferior metal would cause it to burn/warp/melt/etc. The size of workers is a little smaller than a donkey's torso, hunters maybe a cow torso, and Hierarchs are closer to Ankylosaur size. They're a real bitch when provoked.

One reward for killing them could be some kind of lukewarm glue, you get a 5-15 globs per Salamander, which can be used to 'decorate' weapons. When this weapon is used, the glue essentially 'magically' (until we have matches) ignites, giving the enemy fire damage, too.

You rikey?

Also, as just another enemy, where are the tree people? Worshipped by elves, a match for a Bronze Colossus, able to deconstruct? 'Catapult' rocks? They come to your fort after x number of trees have been cut down, or with an elf siege.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 05:45:24 am »

Rock Dragons.  You thought the dragons before could get nasty? 

Well no, not really, i generally sent my mentally wounded dwarves out to deal with them and they rarely died. When i got dragons.
Magma is overrated.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 05:50:43 am »

Sweet Pod Syrup Men

Those insect-gorilla things from the Scamps Dungeon Crawl teaser.

Stalagmen, or something of that ilk.

And the Mushroomians.  You like raw plump helmets do you?  Well they like you too.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 01:45:25 pm »

I, for one, am looking forward to some sort of ooze monsters.

Revamped treants would also be nice.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 03:48:15 pm »

Its going to be so fun exploring and building up an army purely to be fodder for the underground monsters--i really hope building destroyer got spread around because i dont want a mere door blocking the horrors. I hope they have long life spans and breed alot because i dont want a recreation of current chasms/bottomless pits where everything dies before you've even dug out the dining hall.

Can you imagine one of the critters killing every other creature then breeding like mad? haha your 5 man hammerdwarf squad turns the corner to meet 120 cavespider men.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 04:09:37 pm »

Wouldn't mind some fantastical creatures, like floating eyes and mummies.

Of course, what I'm really hoping for are hives of underground giant bugs (starship trooper-esque bugs, that is).

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 04:21:13 pm »

Wouldn't mind some fantastical creatures, like floating eyes and mummies.

Of course, what I'm really hoping for are hives of underground giant bugs (starship trooper-esque bugs, that is).
There would be one kind with a poison that makes your dwarves sleep forever, one that is a fish with addy teeth, one that spawns self-reproducing water, one that cancels your cats, and the boss is an ancient negative square root of nine.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 04:47:32 pm »

I think you'll see a few (read: 3-4) basic "_______man" races (ratmen, molemen, maybe spidermen).

Probably two dozen or so "natural" animals (and giant versions thereof) -- moles, annelids, maybe giant ants?

And the remainder will be fantastical creatures. I think he'll stay away from a lot of higher D&D "underdark" things like mind flayers and drow, just because those belong more properly in a civ. I kind of expect to see trappers/cloakers (those D&D things like look a flat rock ceiling or floor, then jump on you and try to suffocate you). Could be nasty if implemented right (i.e. they look like a plain old gray rock, can ambush, and have high wrestling skill)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 05:19:05 pm »

We already have ratmen.

Maybe we will see something more akin to the Morlocks, some sort of deeper version of the Troglodytes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5