Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: An experiment regarding map size.  (Read 1957 times)

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An experiment regarding map size.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 12:21:54 am »

That would be a little odd, I'm not sure what the reason for that would be. You're sure your dwarves weren't pathing anywhere? I'd recommend making two copies of the same world, embarking in a flat desert, then deleting one of the copies and embarking in the same place with a different size. Remove the fps cap and record any difference. Might try it.

Btw, the bottom one is actually 8x3, whereas the top one is 3x6... But I know what you meant :P

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 05:53:15 pm »

viewing large Z level drops (pit/chasm) will drop FPS a lot. DF seems to constantly check every level for obstructions to decide whether a tile is displayed as sky or indoors.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 06:15:36 pm »

After more testing, FPS appears to wildly depend on the embark location as much as the embark size.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Multiple z-levels 2x2 mixed mountainous/forested map, i7 920 at 4.0ghz. Magma but no running water (unbreached aquifer)
1400-1600 fps
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nearly flat forest, 2x2 map with magma pipe, river
3600-4800 FPS

Yeah, I stand corrected, but that guy said he was getting the same sort of fps on mature forts on a larger map, which I don't think is maintainable. More testing required.

For anyone who is interested: on win7

Okay, I unpaused and got the mountainhome liason within seconds, this is unplayable :D

From my testing in another thread, not only map size, but z-levels and other factors have a HUGE impact on fps, in some cases a factor of 3000 fps.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 11:20:33 pm »

Yeah, I saw that in... Whatever thread that was in. I'm interested in the effect of the magma too. I've noticed that the bottom tiles of a magma vent are not obscured by the "outdoors" ray (at least in the center they're not), it's very possible that magma vents could have an effect similar to pits and chasms because of the amount of z-levels they go down. They magma itself surely has an effect too...

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 12:40:51 pm »

That would be a little odd, I'm not sure what the reason for that would be. You're sure your dwarves weren't pathing anywhere? I'd recommend making two copies of the same world, embarking in a flat desert, then deleting one of the copies and embarking in the same place with a different size. Remove the fps cap and record any difference. Might try it.

Btw, the bottom one is actually 8x3, whereas the top one is 3x6... But I know what you meant :P

It is possible, though.  We know that DF has a thing for square maps, as rectangular maps have some gameplay peculiarities.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.
Pages: 1 [2]