Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Map size - What size do you play on and why?  (Read 5372 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Map size - What size do you play on and why?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 02:33:57 pm »

I am on a 2x14 right now, bridging an ocean and all that.

On my old laptop, I liked to play nothing bigger than 3x3 and usually 2x2 or even 1x1 due to speed issues. I now have a fairly beefy machine and can do just about any size.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 03:23:11 pm »

I'm currently just about to start a 11x11, that's what my laptop can handle with 400 dwarves(Not counting animals).

Sure, it's good at running DF, but trust me, it takes ages for caravans to get to the fort, and only gets worse if you make extensive fortifications, or decide to have your depot deep underground.

Never going to do such an embark for something with more then 50 z levels though, I think I have the seed for a world with an embark of 300z levels or something posted on the forum somewhere.(Then again, I never actually embarked there, it was just an ocean(0-99z) being right next to a high mountain(350+z?) Either way, that was just a 4x4 embark or something...I'm going to go find it)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 04:29:54 pm »

I'm currently just about to start a 11x11, that's what my laptop can handle with 400 dwarves(Not counting animals).

What laptop is this? what is your FPS at when you do it?

I think I'm going shopping  :P

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 04:42:52 pm »

Yeah i also would like to know....
I have a very good gamers PC and even 'fps'cap out at 200 gobbos
Art is a Blast

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 05:09:48 pm »

I usually play 5*5 and sometimes 3*3, if I find a location with everything very close together. 30-50 fps with 120-150 dwarves, magma and flowing water is very playable for me.
3*3 can be a bit too small sometimes and my aboveground fortresses fill the whole map rather fast while almost the whole underground is dug out. 5*5 is more than enough for anything, in my opinion.

I can't even imagine playing a 16*16. Aside from being unplayable fps-wise, the dwarves would never do jobs on the other side of the map because the become thirsty, hungry or tired halfway across it.. I like to build a fortress, not a giant landscape with a little fortress in the middle.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 06:06:02 pm »

I tend to go 5x5, here lately I'e been obsessed with embarking on sites with a lake/rivers and magma pipe.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 07:40:28 pm »

I usually play 5*5 and sometimes 3*3, if I find a location with everything very close together. 30-50 fps with 120-150 dwarves, magma and flowing water is very playable for me.
3*3 can be a bit too small sometimes and my aboveground fortresses fill the whole map rather fast while almost the whole underground is dug out. 5*5 is more than enough for anything, in my opinion.

I can't even imagine playing a 16*16. Aside from being unplayable fps-wise, the dwarves would never do jobs on the other side of the map because the become thirsty, hungry or tired halfway across it.. I like to build a fortress, not a giant landscape with a little fortress in the middle.

Wanted to try something new, have an idea for a fort design, hopefully I get to see it come to fruition. Having more than one area for food and drink is key when playing on huge maps. We'll have to see what I cook up.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »

5x5 with a 50 dwarf cap. Lets me run at 30-60 fps safely in Relentless Assault. It goes up towards the end of the season after I root out the seasons sieges, ambushes, snatchers, and thieves. RA is hell on your haulers and FPS, so many races. I can go through two to four ambushes, one to two sieges, and four to eight snatchers/thieves a season. Lots'o'lag
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 11:48:25 pm »

I always do 6x6. My FPS rarely if ever drops below 50 no matter how many dwarves I have, so size is never really a concern.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 07:28:27 am »

FPS seems to stabilise around a solid 45-60 after I get 100+ dwarves and stays there up to 300 dwarves, then it starts going down a little bit, but it should be noted that I try to do almost every FPS improving thing I know of(Pet limit, hunting all wild animals to extinction, efficient hallways and dwarf managing, stone clearing..etc)

As for the laptop, I've gone shopping just a few days ago, and it's amazing how fast technology goes. I'm afraid I don't care about names and brands, but it says Asus on it, so I'm pretty sure that's the brand,

But some of the things: Dual core(At least I think it was that), a video card for games(This one was especially important with the graphics of the newer games, useless to DF though), 4000-something of memory, and a CPU that, according to the store clerk, only came out recently, and windows 7(Which apparently works better with DF for some reason). The screen is wider then my body, so I'd say it qualifies as widescreen.(And it has a numpad, a must for playing DF, but sadly forgotten with most laptops)

Cost wasn't that bad, it was on sale and ended up being just 950 euro, I got the last in stock because with what I listed they just can't not be popular.

And rereading my post after writing shows how little I know of it, I should write that stuff down after buying a laptop ::)..Ah well, big embarks can be more of a curse then a blessing anyway, on one hand, more resources, but do I really want my dwarves moving that far away, only to turn back for a drink halfway there?

I've had it gen a 2500 year world today, took just 15 minutes, and all the elves got conquered, if that isn't a good omen then I don't know what is.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:33:38 am by XSI »
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 09:16:15 am »

Can you go into the W7 equivalent of Control Panel --> System and see what system properties are listed? XP gives the make and speed of the CPU, I know that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 11:14:51 am »

Windows 7 is not more compatible with DF, near as I can tell. What does help is that it isn't Vista. Vista is a resource hog, Microsoft grossly overestimated how much power new machines would have and how much users would be willing to give up to useless (or downright debilitating) "features". Windows 7 removed a lot of the crap.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 01:37:54 pm »

I am tending towards 5x5, unless I need something unsymmetrical for a specific reason.  3x3 has good FPS for me, but I end up feeling cheated by the lack of resources.  6x6 seems to have more resources than I need, and I really don't use all that surface area.  This could be because the low FPS kills my interest before I have finished developing the area. 

I try to avoid unsymmetrical maps because of the bug that causes enemies to spawn part-way into the map on the long dimension, instead of at the edge.  I still end up with those for special cases like the pyramid challenge where I needed a high peak to raise the z-levels aboveground, and also needed the flat area for building.  My choices were 6x6 or 3x6, and the 6x6 had mediocre FPS almost from the beginning.  The price I am paying is that elephants and the like are spawning inside one of my pyramids.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 05:38:12 pm »

FPS seems to stabilise around a solid 45-60 after I get 100+ dwarves and stays there up to 300 dwarves, then it starts going down a little bit, but it should be noted that I try to do almost every FPS improving thing I know of(Pet limit, hunting all wild animals to extinction, efficient hallways and dwarf managing, stone clearing..etc)

As for the laptop, I've gone shopping just a few days ago, and it's amazing how fast technology goes. I'm afraid I don't care about names and brands, but it says Asus on it, so I'm pretty sure that's the brand,

But some of the things: Dual core(At least I think it was that), a video card for games(This one was especially important with the graphics of the newer games, useless to DF though), 4000-something of memory, and a CPU that, according to the store clerk, only came out recently, and windows 7(Which apparently works better with DF for some reason). The screen is wider then my body, so I'd say it qualifies as widescreen.(And it has a numpad, a must for playing DF, but sadly forgotten with most laptops)

Cost wasn't that bad, it was on sale and ended up being just 950 euro, I got the last in stock because with what I listed they just can't not be popular.

And rereading my post after writing shows how little I know of it, I should write that stuff down after buying a laptop ::)..Ah well, big embarks can be more of a curse then a blessing anyway, on one hand, more resources, but do I really want my dwarves moving that far away, only to turn back for a drink halfway there?

I've had it gen a 2500 year world today, took just 15 minutes, and all the elves got conquered, if that isn't a good omen then I don't know what is.

You're probably running the Lap Top version of my Desktop. ASUS came out with a gaming PC/Laptop using the new i7 processor and NVidia graphics card. Certain features differ, but I've noticed that Windows 7 runs DF waaaaay better than Vista ever did for sure.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 05:40:44 pm »

I just upgraded from vista to win7 on my i7 desktop.

Small performance gains from what I can tell, mainly because vista sucked that hard, and win7 is much better streamlined and optimized.
Pages: 1 [2] 3