Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well. Crap. HFS  (Read 1380 times)

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
Well. Crap. HFS
« on: December 17, 2009, 03:36:47 am »

Just broke into a SUPER HAPPY FUN CLOWN DEN

No SUPER HAPPY FUN CLOWNS yet, but I'ma gonna get the king soon... it hasn't even been 2nd caravan time...

Ow.

Damnit, was a golden sight too! Magma Pipe (somewhere) and cliff face that extended 20z levels up from the soil layer...

Edit, oh... and I broke into the SHFCP "at the base of the mountain" 15 z lvls BELOW it. at 'soil' level...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:38:51 am by Hagadorn »
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well. Crap. HFS
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 03:59:37 am »

Wall up, now?

And I think a better name for the clown-den would be circus. Given the "clown" metaphor, anyway. Oh, and all the crazy shit that happens in there.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 04:27:48 am »

Yup, wall it up.
In my current fortress, as soon as I got the message about breaking through to the funhouse, I zoomed to the dwarf who broke through and immediately changed him to a mason. Bang, one closed HFS.

Of course, that didn't stop the engravings appearing dedicated to the named clown laughing at the foolishness of the dwarf miner who released him.

Yeah, laugh it up moron, you're the one who didn't take advantage of that minuscule opening in my fortress' defences.

Of course, with the discovery of HFS also came the discovery of the good stuff, so now, a couple of years down the line, I have 14 bad-ass champions, tooled up with the good stuff and looking for something to fight.

Looks like laughing boy's going on a day-trip. TO HELL.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 04:33:47 am »

Well, the interesting one is the only way for the Clowns to get to me (it looks like a perverted Clown Sanctuary, judging from all the mud, turtles, fish and captured creatures) is by dropping 12+ zlvls and HOPE they land on a bit of floor... instead of just dropping into the depths...
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 04:44:55 am »

Some clowns are fliers. That one's bit me in the arse before.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 04:54:33 am »

Well, I dug up a little bit, floored it off and then walled off the access path. Now i have a garbage dump... A dangerous red glowy non-magma dump! Glee.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 05:33:07 am »

Some clowns are fliers. That one's bit me in the arse before.

Clowns of Fire and regular Clowns are both fliers. As if the burning clowns could get worse.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:51:45 am »

Well, the interesting one is the only way for the Clowns to get to me (it looks like a perverted Clown Sanctuary, judging from all the mud, turtles, fish and captured creatures) is by dropping 12+ zlvls and HOPE they land on a bit of floor... instead of just dropping into the depths...
Well, the chief clown could theoratically get to you, but due to pathfinding issues he wont do so untill there is a walkable path.

It also looks like your circus has swimming clowns, not perverted ones. The perverted ones make funny pictures.

Has anyone else ever noticed how the circusses you find early on usualy have swiming clowns?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 07:48:19 am »

Edit, oh... and I broke into the SHFCP "at the base of the mountain" 15 z lvls BELOW it. at 'soil' level...

Had that happen to me once too.  Ended up breaking into the funhouse and beating up a bunch of depraved clowns in year 3. Extra fun for having it so close to my central staircase, which my primary meeting area was built around.  Also, having lots of axes and enabling woodcutting on all your civilian dwarves really does make you ready for nearly anything- even a clown invasion in your dining room.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:58:26 am »

Annnnnnd now all the hidden Clowns are raping my FPS...

Glee.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:30:57 am »

If you mine out above the chamber and channel down, you can use them for some pretty effective archery practice.  If you use only one archer to practice there, he'll have a pretty great kill list.

To reveal the clowns, des(i)gnate a pit and toss strays down there.

Do this until the strays live, then rejoice that your framerate is back and you've got one bad-ass archer.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 10:15:51 am »

Ooo, that sounds like a plan!

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:45:08 am »

to do that i need to go to the very top of the cliff, then dig down 6 z levels and hope that the clowns don't fly...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 12:34:19 pm »

They're ultra-buff frogmen. They don't fly.

And one marksdorf vs. the clowns? Win.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 01:23:59 pm »

If you did all your exploratory mining quarry-style outside your fort, wouldn't you be (theoretically) safer from the HFS?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.
Pages: [1] 2