Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: nonstandard weapons, shields, penalties, etc.  (Read 658 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
nonstandard weapons, shields, penalties, etc.
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:32:36 pm »

1. I'm thinking about modding in the ability for my dwarves to make and use new weapon types. Will adding something like [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PIKE] give me the option of forging pikes, and to have my soldiers equip them?

2. Do we have any data on what, if any, the penalties are for using oversized weapons, and shields together with two-handed weapons, or do we have to rely on guesswork? I had no problems wielding a two-handed sword together with a shield in adventure mode, so I guess I could live with any damage penalties this would entail, but it would be nice to know about them anyway.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: nonstandard weapons, shields, penalties, etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:41:38 pm »

1. Yes, that is all that you need to do.

2. They won't use weapons that need two hands with shields. You will also need to set the 'number of weapons' to 2.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:46:47 pm »

OK, thanks for the swift and informative reply. I'm a bit confused about the following, though:

You will also need to set the 'number of weapons' to 2.

As I started out DF, I thought that giving them a "number of weapons" greater than 1 would make them either wield 1 weapon in each hand, or make them carry a backup weapon. It always reverted to 1 weapon as soon as I had set it.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:52:01 pm »

Did you tell them to use a shield or buckler?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:54:02 pm »

Did you tell them to use a shield or buckler?

Right, I probably did. I can't even test that out right now as I'm in the middle of some modding, genning, and site finding.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:06:42 am »

Dwarves won't use pikes, unless you make the pike a kind of spear instead of a kind of... pike, I suppose. Dwarves can only be told to use the vanilla types of weapons; bows, pikes and blowguns are all only usable in weapon traps for dwarves. Whilst you can add pikes, bows and blowgun to the civilization, this only means that you can make them, not that dwarves can wield them. The way around this is to change their weapon type to something relevant to dwarves.

Change this (in 'item_weapon.txt):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

to this:

and add this:
to [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] in entity_default.txt.

That should give you pikes as a two-handed, hurtier-than-usual spear.

And oh yeah, also make sure they aren't being told to carry a shield or buckler, and that they're using two hands.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:11:23 am »

Strange, because I've been able to start as a Pikedwarf or Bowdwarf in adventure mode. Anyway, will it work if I change the skill type of the "new" weapons post-worldgen?

EDIT:
Looks like I'm changing stuff like pikes to spears and bows to crossbows, as per your suggestion. Let's hope this doesn't break anything, which is questionable since I'm doing this post-worldgen.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:57:48 am by assimilateur »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 01:23:33 am »

I could be mistaken, but I've changed weapon tags without a regen successfully. Of course, I changed the damage to 1 so they wouldn't kill each other (ironically, got more spinal wounds that way than I do with silver now, but I use stronger armor now which is probably the real cause).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325