Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refusal to train.  (Read 527 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refusal to train.
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:16:16 pm »

I have 5 dwarfs, one with a sword, axe, spear, hammer and mace.  They are all set to off duty.  I have an armor stand set in an indent of a hallway.

# = wall
_ = floor
A = Armor stand
B = bridge ( currently raised )
> = range of bridge when dropped.

##########
####A#####
B__________>
B__________>
B__________>
##########

There is a clear path under the raised bridge to use the armor stand, the armor stand is set to a room which extends under the raised bridge.  But dwarfs refuse to train and gossip on the zoned meeting zone.

So I've moved the armor stand to the center point of a 5x5 room and training has begun.  The question is:  Does the bridge prevent training?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:19:22 pm by Qloos »

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Refusal to train.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:34:48 pm »

Try making a weapon stand, if anything just em hall for treason.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:26:06 pm »

I vaguely remember reading that barracks with armor stands and weapon racks can be buggy. Try making the barracks with a bed.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:45:59 pm »

In my last fortress, I temporarily repurposed my barracks for stockpile space (to cope with a brief excess of food), at which point my soldiers stopped sparring; once some of the stockpile space freed up, I un-designated it, at which point the soldiers started sparring only in that area. Thus, it could be that soldiers refuse to spar on top of buildings (with paved roads as a possible exception).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:39:27 pm »

I've always been under the impression that for dwarves to spar, they need a certain amount of open floorspace. I'd thought it was 3x3, but if it's bigger than that, they won't train in your 3-wide hallway.

Brother Wrath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 05:58:58 pm »

Actually, dwarves are able to train in 1x1 areas. Proof: I accidentally made a bedroom a barracks... they trained to champion without me noticing.