Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Animal Mods?  (Read 681 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Any Animal Mods?
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:49:52 pm »

Are there any animal mods with "real-life" animals on them, simply extending DF's animal kingdom?  And if there are, how many animals are in them?  Also, I guess they will need to be re-created when the new version is released.

If there are no plans for one, who would be with me in trying to make one?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any Animal Mods?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:01:32 pm »

There is one somewhere, I'm sure...

Hm, found more than one. Chariot's Zoo Mod (84 animals) is the one I used to use, but there's also the Angler Mod (35 water-creatures) for water diversity, and lots of the larger mods add domestic animals (Dig Deeper, for example).

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:04:51 pm »

Personally, I'd be interested in a mod that makes the animals a bit more distinct. They all move at the same rate, and they all bite, and practically none of them even have horns or antlers. And then there are some Biomes where you deal with the same creatures over, and over again.
Deserts and Mountains are particularly bad for this, and adventure mode is basically just wolf after wolf after bear, after wolf.

carriontrooper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:15 pm »

There's a Turtle Mod over at DFFD which expands the turtles you get, exponentially.
I am wretched, but I am STRONG!
I am the future... I AM ZERG!
LIVE FOR THE SWARRRRMMMMMMMM

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 08:26:57 pm »

Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me! I've been meaning to add that, once I've weeded out the duplicates. Its sheer passion for turtles is something to behold.

Looks like we're in look, what with today's Dev Log and all. A little SUSPICIOUS actually. Has Rainseeker been whispering in Toady's ear?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:31:45 pm »

Combining the subjects of two posts above - while we know that creatures in the new version will have a great deal more detail, modded in or not, I have a seperate proposal. I suggest that all creatures be given personality tokens, to a more or less degree, in order to tune their behavior more finely - while the current BEGIGN/SAVAGE/CURIOUSBEAST/FLEEQUICK/LIKES_FIGHTING/etc tags obviously exist with the purpose of handling creature behavior, there's potentially a lot more depth to be had.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:54:30 pm »

Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me! I've been meaning to add that, once I've weeded out the duplicates. Its sheer passion for turtles is something to behold.

Looks like we're in look, what with today's Dev Log and all. A little SUSPICIOUS actually. Has Rainseeker been whispering in Toady's ear?

I'm not sure what you're implying!!! *shocked gasp* *raised eyebrows*

Actually, I posted this after I read today's dev log (12/16/09).

I think we can make a TON of realistic creatures if we all work together!  The only thing is I don't know how to do it.  I would like someone in the community who can come along side of me and advise for this proposed project who has been making creatures for the old system.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 09:24:04 am »

I'd be happy to help. I'm going to be away for the next three weeks or so, for the holidays, but I ought to be able to come on now and again. There's going to have to be a learning period anyway, since the raws are so much more in depth, but I think most of the new stuff is relatively straightforward.

There's just a lot of it

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 11:07:22 am »

On the one hand I can kind of see where you're coming from. On the other I'd like to see more creatures that make the DF world distinct. I mean, where else can you find fluffy wamblers, fire snakes, and moghoppers? Or beak dogs, for that matter.

The horns/antlers issue I believe is because those have been bugged up til now, and IIRC fixing that flashed by in the dev log; so we can hope for antler and horn and ivory(another reason to hunt elephants instead of just avoiding them!).
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 01:12:04 pm »

On the one hand I can kind of see where you're coming from. On the other I'd like to see more creatures that make the DF world distinct. I mean, where else can you find fluffy wamblers, fire snakes, and moghoppers? Or beak dogs, for that matter.
Well, I'd be interested in that mod too. They're not mutually exclusive, y'know.

The horns/antlers issue I believe is because those have been bugged up til now, and IIRC fixing that flashed by in the dev log; so we can hope for antler and horn and ivory(another reason to hunt elephants instead of just avoiding them!).
Could be. I thought maybe it was to do with the inability to make males and females different, but I guess there are numerous reasons. Might just have been an oversight.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 01:36:36 pm »

There are animals that have horns in both genders; but for a good number, you're probably right too.

I suppose my reaction is because I have seen the zoo mods; I've similarly seen mods that add a whole bunch of real-world plants... but they don't add any new flavour to the world, not like novel creations do.

Now, having recognizable elements is well and good, no doubts there; but the little quirks offset those elements and contribute to a fantastic feel.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.