Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Dust Theory  (Read 6178 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dust Theory
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2009, 01:56:46 am »

Fans of Time Cube rejoice! I have brungeth upon thee more wisdom from ye gods! Also, they have a magical magnet that makes you live forever! See here:
http://www.magneticdiscovery.com/

I find this quite attractive.

OH HO HO! Too bad that thar link ain't loadin' for me :(.

EDIT: I just realized that this article would sound really cool if I were either high or sleep-deprived.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of stoner fauxlosophy when I read it...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Time Cube Theory
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2009, 02:00:37 am »

I had a similar experience.
http://www.timecube.com/

I'm reading it now.  It's off the wall, maybe, but I don't see wh--
A HOLOCAUST AND IT IS NIGH UPON YOU. HIRED SICK TEACHERS
ARE PAID TO TEACH YOU EVIL TO
ENSLAVE YOU STUPID AND YOU
NOW POSSESS AN IDIOT CYCLOPIC
MENTALITY. YOU LACK THE BRAINS TO KNOW THAT 4 SIMULTANEOUS DAYS ROTATE IN AN IMAGINARY CUBED EARTH.
For me, hell is someone shouting out the text from that website for all eternity.

Wanna have some real fun?  Copy the text into Speakonia.  Don't even format it, just straight up copy.

After an hour or two of this, I don't know whether you'd be shoving pencils in your ears or if it'd make sense.

I'm about to do this. Hell, why didn't think about it myself?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2009, 02:06:32 am »

I've done it.

It switches between rambling and more rambling and racism/euthanasia.

Oh and Opposites. It mentions Opposites a lot.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2009, 04:35:00 am »

I dunno if timecube.com is for real or just an epic trollpage. I just.... don't know.

EDIT: I just realized that this article would sound really cool if I were either high or sleep-deprived.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of stoner fauxlosophy when I read it...

Well, you have to give the author credit for writing something so damn long and yet simultaneously devoid of worth without getting bored.

I can't believe Ampersand actually had the patience to read through that blather. And, um, tear it apart.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2009, 04:57:45 am »

I don't think anyone here except me actually understood a thing the article said...  I thought this community was smart, once.

This dosen't read well.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2009, 05:06:04 am »

I don't think anyone here except me actually understood a thing the article said...  I thought this community was smart, once.

This dosen't read well.

Armok that's completely unfair. You can't just assume we want to believe what you want to believe in, otherwise, we'd be all one religion.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2009, 06:08:36 am »

Ok, I finaly figured out what my mistake was:
1) the article (superficially appears to?) reaches roughly similar conclusions as I do.
2) I have reached my conclusions through valid means.

However, I have now realized that this does NOT imply that the article reached it's conclusion by valid means. I migth just have over-interpreted it.
Another possibility is that I AM inded the only one tat understands it - not because everyone else is less intelligent, but because they have different interests and don't know the vocabulary. Some posts indicate this might be the most probable, possibly together with some flawed physics/math that are not needed for the core of the argument.

Well, it's not bad as a piece of philosophy.  I just don't like the way it drags in science and maths and pretends to be something it isn't.
Huh? where did I claim it was anything other than philosophy?
It's philosophy that bases itself of physics and math, it dosn't say antyhing abaut physics or math in return.
Also, I thought philosophy was a scientific discipline? Even if muck of it is rather bad science, it makes statements about the world, and thus should be possible to examine scientifically.

Anyways, The person who usually browses and moderates is ThreeToe, so if you want to threaten people with moderator support, you should choose the right god-sphere.

I thought armok was being sarcastic. Apparently not. However, I do have to inform you Armok, Religion is an organized belief system that involves spirituality. So, technically if you believe in the Dust Theory, then it is your religion or part of it.
It is not organized nor does it have anything to do with spirituality. Also, religions are faith-based, and INTENDED to be so, admittedly by the practiser. I on the other hand try to be as rational as absolutely possible, assigning as close to the Bayesian correct probability as absolutely possible.
Thirdly, religions are memetic, while Dust Theory can in principle be invented identical by everyone separately.

Also, was my link broken or something? From the sound of you people I must have linked to timecube or something by mistake...

Ninjaedit: Except Psyco Jelly, atleast there is one sensible person here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
See, this is more orderly, arguing against the theory with concrete criticism rather than ridiculing. I'm perfectly fine, and in fact prefer, getting THIS kind of "attacks" on what I say.

as for the response:
2) For reducible, internally coherent religions it is indeed so that dust theory implies they are true SOMEWHERE, but those "gods" still don't have any power over other universes, and the one we live in is extremely (lower probability than humans can distinguish from 0) improbable to be one of those.
3) technicaly true, my point was that there is many initial observations and belif systems that under examination will converge to the exact same simple dust theory, while there is realy nothing favoring one religeion over another and peaple who spontaneusly come up with religeons are more likely to diverge than converge in their belifs over time.
4) True, I were not making a statment abaut any specific forum goes, but rather abaut the comunity at large. If a single person understands some article says nothing, but the % of peaple in a large group that understands the same article might say something.
5) this is entirely valid, and a good point. This indeed lowers the strenght of the argument... but only by a very small amount.

What the hell are mind children?
It's our memetic decendants, as oposed to genetic decendants. If it is human, AI, or ailiens that adoped human belifs dosnt matter. "mind childredn" are whatever entities are caused by some entity to have the same ideals, valuse, and general goals as the parent entity. For example, South Africans might be the genetic children of africans, but the mind children of the British? (I'm not sure how british th e south African culture actually is, I'm just basing this example of vague memories from history class.)

I believe he's saying "our theoretical children, which will have the quality more of consciousnesses than of living organisms."
Why isn't this a religion again?

Shh, it has set theory and quantum physics in it.

It looked plausible to me, until I realized it broke some very fundamental mathematical laws >_>
It is not religion because it does not include anything supernatural, does not anthropomorphise, nor does it have an associated organization or any scriptures.

Scientifically speaking, "hypothesis" would be much more accurate than "theory."
I thoguht it was an Unproven Theory.
I might be wrong, but I thought that a hypothesis is what observations you expect to make that your theory predicts, and a theory is your curent best explanation for your already made observations?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You have a few good points, and a lot of incorrect ones. Responding to all that properly would take ages thou, and is unlikely to lead to anything. I'm lazy and have better things to do than this kind of internet argument. I give you credits for trying, but I think you mised the point of what the article was trying to say.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2009, 06:11:56 am »

What... I tried reading the article Armok provided, but... there is really no point to read it. The author basically restated philosophical points already made by many other people, in an overly verbose fashion.

His explanations could be made more succinct. It was such a chore to read through paragraphs, and then have to stop and collect my thoughts and paraphrase the twisting mass of nonsense into something I could understand. :(

Maybe I'm just not enlightened enough. Or I haven't taken enough ecstasy to fully comprehend these 'universal truths'.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2009, 06:13:12 am »

why do you humor him?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2009, 06:16:58 am »

I believe he's saying "our theoretical children, which will have the quality more of consciousnesses than of living organisms."
Why isn't this a religion again?

Shh, it has set theory and quantum physics in it.

It looked plausible to me, until I realized it broke some very fundamental mathematical laws >_>
It is not religion because it does not include anything supernatural, does not anthropomorphise, nor does it have an associated organization or any scriptures.

Define supernatural.
I don't get it.
Many things have organizations without being religion.

I define religion as something that cannot be proven or disproven.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2009, 06:20:44 am »

Armok, you know full well that's not how an argument works.  "Well, I see you've come up with some valid criticisms of the article.  However, I believe they are very small criticisms for reasons I'll neither specify nor explain.  I'd love to, but I have other things to do (despite my repeated insistence that this forum is the core of my life), so I'm going to keep on believing that the stuff I call a philosophy but never stop to explain is universally, self-evidently correct over all others anyway.  Ta."

You repeatedly admit that the article is based in faulty science (but is also somehow scientifically sound), that Ampersand's criticisms were correct, and that you somehow know which of many possible universes we occupy, but apparently everyone else is still wrong about the article, and by extension wrong about you, because they don't "get it".  If this article and your nonspecific philosophies are important enough to you to make threads about, why not try to explain it yourself?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2009, 06:48:07 am »

One of the most disturbing revelations of the article has to do with this:
Is a video game a box of silicon bits, an electronic circuit flipping its own switches, a computer following a long list of instructions, or a large three-dimensional world inhabited by the Mario Brothers and their mushroom adversaries?
The man doesn't have a thorough understanding of the Mario Brothers!? Maybe he's thinking of this?

Hm. I think I'm getting a bit off topic...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2009, 07:12:17 am »

But it's like, deep, man!  So it has to be all true and stuff, right?

Also, this thread is relevant to my interests.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2009, 07:28:13 am »

The more complicated a belief becomes the less of a belief it is.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2009, 07:32:03 am »

When will people learn that brevity is a virtue?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7