Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An Elven King I Can Deal With, But I Draw The Line At...  (Read 1989 times)

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An Elven King I Can Deal With, But I Draw The Line At...
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:10:49 pm »

Pocket World. Unmodded.

I shall find out his history for you shortly.

Okay. Time to make a story out of this:

Mato Sloksmunstu, also known as Mato Sicknesslie, was a goblin born in the third year after the Creation Event. The number three played an odd significance in his life, since every major event that happens to him occurs during a year that is divisible by 3 (3, 15, 39, 117, 231...). He was also the third son of a goblin hero (Who had 9 kills to his name), and had 9 siblings.

At the ripe old age of 12, Mato took a bride, Gozru Planeprofane (Who, coincidentally, also had 9 siblings).  They would go on to have (you guessed it) 9 children.

These children would all meet horrible fates. The firstborn (A girl), would be murdered by the demon Asno Spiderhex (Whom the entire family worshipped) at the age of 35. The secondborn (Also a girl) would be murdered by a human slave when she was no older than 22. The third daughter fared a bit better, managing to take a husband before being murdered by a fellow goblin. The eldest son lasted no more than 12 years before feeling the touch of death from another goblin. This trend continues throughout the entire family tree, save for the second eldest who died in battle against a dwarf. Gozru herself died much later on in a fight against a dwarf.

But while his family busied themselves with dying horribly, Mato became something of a social climber. He started off as a guard in a small goblin settlement, I can only reason that it was attacked and destroyed because he left a few years later and moved elsewhere. He then became a High Priest in another Goblin-Inhabited Area. He stayed in that position for over 30 years, preaching about war and violence to his many followers, all while suffering through the deaths of three of his children. But this was merely in year 39.

From that point onwards, Mato seems to disappear from all history books. Cropping up almost a hundred years later (year 231) where he is listed as murdering a human slave (Presumably for disobedience).

It is then that Mato truly fades in to obscurity. The last of his family is dead and buried, and he presumably continues preaching his message. At the time, there is a massive war occurring between the goblins and the dwarves. In one of the final battles of that era, the demon known as Spiderhex is killed in battle. And presumably Mato becomes disillusioned, since he worshipped Spiderher, and presumably all of his religious services were based around him in some way or another.

Peace comes to the world. And it lasts. Goblin and dwarven societies merge. Whether it was through the mingling of dwarven slaves and other dwarves, or if it was due to the goblin's wanting to worship something and finding their lives quite bleak now that their religion was literally shot dead on a battlefield.

Fast forward one millennium. Every dwarf who witnessed the Demonic Age and the war that saw it end is long dead. Few goblins still exist who remember it. Amongst them is Mato, now a very old goblin, although unchanged in appearance. He takes with him the memories of his wife and children, and ascends the throne of a dwarven Mountainhome. Promising his loyal subjects to devote his life to serving them. And he stays true to his word. Almost 1000 years later, in 2052 (Present day in this world), Mato is still on the throne. And still serving his subjects.

Thus ends the introduction of Mato Sloksmunstu

I'll probably be able to refine it a bit later, but still, what are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:51:35 pm by Ringmaster »

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: An Elven King I Can Deal With, But I Draw The Line At...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »

before you judge, check his name's meaning and his history. we reacted the same way to Cacame initially.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:18:52 pm »

For a second I was expecting a kobold Bookkeeper.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:19:51 pm »

Clearly he's channeling David Bowie.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 03:24:19 pm »

Apparently his name means "Wraith Sicknesslie".

Oh, and that Local Leader below him? "Terror Slinghell". Another goblin.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:33:17 pm by Quantum Toast »
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 03:26:07 pm »

Huh. Well, that's interesting. I'm surprised nobody's announced a human king at this point (kobolds, speaking jibberish-ese, probably couldn't ascend historically).

Also, Wraith is a badass name.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:29:56 pm »

How can you hate the Goblin King?  All hail Jareth!  Just... don't look at his *Elf Leather Thong* too closely...
Sanity is for the weak.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 03:52:50 pm »

His history's been posted. And I'm curious, does this mean I can have a fortress with a King that I can keep on going forever and he will not die of old age?

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 04:06:01 pm »

Yep, just like Cacame, he's an immortal, though significantly less badass than the Elf King (sorry mate).

Having rulers from other races are a little screwy though, in order to use him properly when he shows up, you'll have to change a setting using Dwarf Companion. Otherwise, he'll just stay in one spot until eaten.

Edit: On the subject of human rulers. I think it far less possible to acquire one, as short lived as they are.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 04:11:10 pm »

significantly less badass than the Elf King

That is quite true. He is possibly the wimpiest goblin I've ever seen. Hell, even his wife got in a fight once in a while, it can't have hurt him to walk up to a random dwarf every now and then and punch them in the face. It might have kept him from falling off the face of the earth for an entire millenium in Legends mode.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:19:28 pm »

Regen the world, but keep it going.
Find out when his death would occur.
Regen to the year before his death, and embark. The world stands still after worldgen is over.

Get king and post screenshots!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 04:48:28 pm »

He'll still die of old age when he arrives though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:48:57 pm »

A Cacame-level Goblin King of the Dwarves would require a bigger world, more enemies than he could shake a stick at, and one bad-ass attitude problem.

That aside, to the Human King thing.

I don't think Human's and Dwarves go to war too often in Vanilla DF. At least, I can't remember ever reading about it in the legends. Just dwarves and elves and goblins fighting for some stupid reason or another. But assuming that they ever would go to war and they'd merge, then you'd either have dwarves taking over humans, and a human might rise as King every once in a while and pass on, probably without descendants. That or Humans would take over dwarves, and the same would happen. Well, except with descendants now. Easier to pick a bride among your own people, I mean, who are a majority of the civ. Unless you got some really funky taste.

What would make them fight anyway? I think humans are pretty much okay with a lot of stuff, although obviously the extremist views of elves and goblins makes both races fight against them when they have the chance.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:51:22 pm by Ieb »

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:12:42 pm »

Regen the world, but keep it going.
Find out when his death would occur.
Regen to the year before his death, and embark. The world stands still after worldgen is over.

Get king and post screenshots!

Unfortunately, I can't do that. When I regen the world, all names are changed. So it is impossible to find out who is the "Mato The Gobbo King".

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 05:15:16 pm »

A Cacame-level Goblin King of the Dwarves would require a bigger world, more enemies than he could shake a stick at, and one bad-ass attitude problem.

That aside, to the Human King thing.

I don't think Human's and Dwarves go to war too often in Vanilla DF. At least, I can't remember ever reading about it in the legends. Just dwarves and elves and goblins fighting for some stupid reason or another. But assuming that they ever would go to war and they'd merge, then you'd either have dwarves taking over humans, and a human might rise as King every once in a while and pass on, probably without descendants. That or Humans would take over dwarves, and the same would happen. Well, except with descendants now. Easier to pick a bride among your own people, I mean, who are a majority of the civ. Unless you got some really funky taste.

What would make them fight anyway? I think humans are pretty much okay with a lot of stuff, although obviously the extremist views of elves and goblins makes both races fight against them when they have the chance.

In my last fortress I started out at war with the humans.  Don't know exactly why.  They are wusses anyways.  Beat them up once and they ask for peace.  I only granted it because I had a megaproject to work on.  Elves on the other hand.  Wish I could make peace with them.  Sneaky sieges are annoying.
Pages: [1] 2