Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neverending Siege: Trees Growing on Invaders [40d] [modded]  (Read 1010 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Neverending Siege: Trees Growing on Invaders [40d] [modded]
« on: December 16, 2009, 02:35:43 pm »

In my current fort, I experienced a siege that lasted for approximately two years. The siege was waged by a modded civilization: the Treants, from the Relentless Assault mod.

I was able to resolve this issue, and I think I discovered a new bug: enemies with [GRASSTRAMPLE:0] can have plants mature on top of them, playing havoc with their data.

One of the treants was in the process of entering/leaving the map when a tree matured on top of him. This bugged his status in the program and caused the game to think that there were still hostile siegers in the map.

I resolved the problem by using Dwarf Companion to remove his deceased status. When he returned into existence, he returned on the same tile as the tree, and promptly stepped off to one side where my champions dismembered him.

I think this may have to do with a tag that treants possess:

creature entry:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I added the creature entry because it points out that treants have the [GRASSTRAMPLE:0] tag, which I hypothesize prevented the sapling the treant stepped on from dying, allowing it to mature on top of the treant.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:37:58 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neverending Siege: Trees Growing on Invaders [40d] [modded]
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:41:26 pm »

I'm not a modder, but I'm confused by your resolution... any hypotheses as to what caused the deceased status, and how did changing that flag make it able to step out from within the same tile as a tree?
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:34:22 pm »

and how did changing that flag make it able to step out from within the same tile as a tree?

Presumably because the game checks which tile you're moving into, as opposed to which tile you're moving out of, when determining whether or not you can move in whatever direction?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 07:37:29 am »

This is the best idea I can come up with. Certainly, my military never approached the glitch treant, which was located right at the map edge, prior to its becoming glitched.

I don't know how Dwarf Fortress hacking works. I'll tell you mechanically what I did.

In Dwarf Companion, when I opened the treant's creature details, the "dead?" box was checked, but the "dead" box was not checked; truly dead creatures have both boxes checked. The glitch treant had no wounds.

When the "dead?" box was unchecked, the treant reappeared occupying the same tile as a tree on the edge of the map. If left unhindered, it walks up to my fortress gate, then seems to realize the siege has failed and all its comrades are dead, and turns tail to flee. This shows that the treant still has hostile intent, and most likely the glitching event occurred when the treant first entered the map. I was not watching the treants as they began their attack, nor do I have saves from that point (Dwarf Fortress doesn't exactly encourage the maintenance of multiple saves).

I think the tree growing on the treant at the same time it stepped on the map simply confused the game as to the treant's status, triggering the "dead?" flag. Unchecking the flag allows the treant to reappear, clearing the glitch. Since it is surrounded by empty grass squares, it walks normally through them along its original path (as 3 hypothesizes).

The game did not record the existence of this treant as alive in the units list; if the game recorded it as deceased, I could not tell it from the other nameless treants listed there.

Either way, I haven't heard of the [grasstrample:0] glitch yet, and it seems noteworthy and worth addressing, considering elves have it.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 09:27:15 pm »

One of the treants was in the process of entering/leaving the map when a tree matured on top of him.

He rooted.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.