Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Technical Question: Linux DF + Manager  (Read 1678 times)

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Technical Question: Linux DF + Manager
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:58:49 am »

This is a technical question, hopefully this is the right place for it...

Here's the problem in a nutshell. I run Linux, and I can't seem to get both a tileset and a dwarf manager to work, just one or the other, and I'm wondering if any experienced Linux dwarf could help me out. =]

Details: I have Ubuntu 9.10. I can run Mayday's graphicset with Wine. However, I can't figure out how to get his, or anyone else's, graphicset to run with the linux version of DF. As far as managers go, I can get Dwarf Therapist to run natively with the Linux release. However, it does not connect to and DF game which is running in Wine. I can also get Dwarf Therapist running in Wine, and it will successfully start and connect. Sadly though, no text shows up anywhere on the, just the outlines of everything. Therefore, it is impossible to use.

Also, Dwarf Manager in Wine crashes.

So, the question is, do any of you use both a graphics set and a manager in Linux. And if so, how? Thanks so much!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Technical Question: Linux DF + Manager
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:05:03 pm »

I 'lost' my laptop, and so Ubuntu, a few months back. It was 9.04 and using Linux DF and for me setting up the tileset was the same as for windows. It just worked.

I also used Dwarf Therapist with it as the beta of the Linux version was just out then.

Doubt that is any help but it all worked nicely then.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:04:32 pm »

Well I played around a bit more with copying files and all that, and now at least I can run Mayday's graphicset natively. Sadly, the Linux version of either Dwarf Fortress is out of date, of the Linux version of Dwarf Therapist is out of date, because Dwarf Therapist doesn't "know how to talk to this version of Dwarf Fortress"...

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »

Well I played around a bit more with copying files and all that, and now at least I can run Mayday's graphicset natively. Sadly, the Linux version of either Dwarf Fortress is out of date, of the Linux version of Dwarf Therapist is out of date, because Dwarf Therapist doesn't "know how to talk to this version of Dwarf Fortress"...

If you're running 40d16 and the latest Dwarf Therapist from their site, it should work fine.  You just need to add the memory layout settings for d16.

This thread, on about page 15, has the data: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39229.0

Paste the memory layout data into a file underneath your dwarf therapist called: etc/memory_layouts/linux/v0.28.181.40d16.ini

--K