Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Open source utilities to learn programming  (Read 500 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Open source utilities to learn programming
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:23:31 am »

I have been wanting to teach myself some more programming recently (I was thinking Python, but I'd be up for anything, I guess), but don't have any projects to motivate me to practice.  I have been interested in some of the memory editing utilities for DF, and was hoping that if I could find the source code for some of the utilities, I could make a project out of understanding/improving it.  However, I've had trouble finding any such code, even for Dwarf Foreman, which I read is open source.  Is there source code available for any of the memory editing utilities, and if so, where could I find it?

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
Re: Open source utilities to learn programming
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:14:04 am »

For python you might want to check dwarf companion. It is quite ugly and there is much to do :)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Open source utilities to learn programming
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 07:05:27 pm »

Dwarf companion is actually a good fit for what I wanted to do; one of my ideas is to set up a program for periodic events (probably started manually, but ideally it would be automatically started at the beginning of each season) to spice up the game.  This could include vermin swarms (triggered by large concentrations of food) or gnomes (triggered by large concentrations of booze), and other interesting things.

What I'm really curious about is whether I could set up blessings, based on offerings at the altar (custom workshop).  I'm curious to see if you could set up something that will make a list of every diety worshiped by dwarves and their associated spheres, and add corresponding altars as custom workshops to the raws, where appropriate items can be sacrificed to produce potential blessings.

Does anyone more familiar with memory editing knows if this is possible, and where I could find the companion source code?