Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm Mystified.. (Wierd Stuff..)  (Read 1614 times)

Skeletal_Carp

• Bay Watcher
  • Ain't my avatar pretty?
    • View Profile
I'm Mystified.. (Wierd Stuff..)
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:11:14 am »

In my current fort, wierd stuff is happening..
Like, cats becoming wrestlers, and people wearing live toads on their heads..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone know if this is completely normal, or if my game is freaking out?
I like periods...
And cats... Cats are nice...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Mystified.. (Wierd Stuff..)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:16:41 am »

The toad thing is explainable. When a dwarf claims a vermin pet, they'll carry the pet around. Usually on their head for some reason. You never know, it could be a hypnotoad.

As for the wrestling cats... well, I once managed to assign a cat as my broker. Somehow.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Skeletal_Carp

• Bay Watcher
  • Ain't my avatar pretty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:19:47 am »

Okay, so thats the wierd toad.. (Nice reference to Futurama, if im not wrong)
All cats are creepy in this game..
I like periods...
And cats... Cats are nice...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:21:30 am »

Yeah, that was a Futurama referenALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO TOAD
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:25:18 am »

The toad thing is explainable. When a dwarf claims a vermin pet, they'll carry the pet around. Usually on their head for some reason. You never know, it could be a hypnotoad.

As for the wrestling cats... well, I once managed to assign a cat as my broker. Somehow.

Urist McMayor : "So, let me get this straight... You traded 17,000,000 Dorfbucks for... what was it...
Ah! A wooden armour stand menacing with spikes of Carpet, 10 barrels of fish, 2 of cows milk and a caged demon rat? WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!?"

Urist McKitty: "Meow *rolls on floor* Purrrrrrr!"

Urist McMayor: "D'awwwwwwwwww"
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:36:56 am »

Did you mod your cats to have [CAN_LEARN]?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:41:33 am »

You can't stay angry at a broker like that.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 01:34:01 pm »

Time to make a vermin called a Brainslug.

Brainslug [Worn on head].
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:07:35 pm »

Yeah, that was a Futurama referenALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO TOAD

This show has been going downhill since season five.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 04:13:08 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to change the adamantine message so it begins with, "Good news, everyone!"
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:27:20 pm »

Hypnotoad. The first association that pops up in my head when reading that is the Dynarri talking pet/toad from Star Control II. Definitely not something you want to carry around on your head.

Now I have to resist the urge to install star control II again.. That game was brilliant, it could easily cost me my christmas holiday if I installed it now.  wish it had gotten a decent sequel....

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 04:45:22 pm »

Clearly that cat assaulted an invader at some point, and the invader tried to wrestle with it.  Tame animals can apparently get skill levels, since they are part of your civ.  That would explain why Cacame was able to become a better hammer user.

As for the toad on head, I suspect it picks the head mainly because Dwarves currently don't have shoulders.  No really, they don't!

EDIT: It occurred to me that, since tame animals can learn Wrestling, it may even be possible for ungulates to do it.  (FYI, ungulate means hoofed mammal, like a cow or a horse.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:54:55 pm by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 05:34:30 pm »

A dwarf that tantrums will also sometimes fight with tame animals.  That might could give it dabbling wrestler.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 06:45:15 pm »

Clearly that cat assaulted an invader at some point, and the invader tried to wrestle with it.  Tame animals can apparently get skill levels, since they are part of your civ.  That would explain why Cacame was able to become a better hammer user.

As for the toad on head, I suspect it picks the head mainly because Dwarves currently don't have shoulders.  No really, they don't!

EDIT: It occurred to me that, since tame animals can learn Wrestling, it may even be possible for ungulates to do it.  (FYI, ungulate means hoofed mammal, like a cow or a horse.)

It's only possible if the creature has the [CAN_LEARN] tag.  I didn't think cats had it, so the OP must have modded it in.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 09:19:50 pm »

When a dwarf claims a vermin pet

Since the OP's has been answered, I hope you don't mind if I ask a vaguely related question of my own: to adopt an "available" pet, does a Dwarf have to have a preference for that species, or are there other factors as well? I'm asking this, because if it all boils down to the according prefstring, then that would make most tamed vermin utterly useless (trade goods as cheap as that probably aren't worth the wood their cages are build out of).
Pages: [1] 2