Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: /v/'s potentially fail, fortress succession thread!  (Read 37126 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: /v/'s potentially fail, fortress succession thread!
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2009, 12:56:26 pm »

He will. If you have a clothiers workshop.

You'll probably get an artifact dwarf leather earring.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Haar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2009, 01:06:22 pm »

-What summer should really bring and let me finish this thing fast-

A hot summer day. Just think about it and relax a little. Imagine yourself resting on a grassy plain, nothing to worry about, no bugs and spiders to make you jump, no weird deep sea fishes to make you scared of ever going to swim in the sea, life at it's highest point.

Now, having just imagined that, imagine yourself, but a dwarf. A little and strong dwarf, cappable of breaking reality with infinite 1x1 rock stockpiles, waterfalls that power windmills that power a pump that pumps the water back to it's origin, thus creating a self-sustainable source of power and happiness.

You are happy, aren't you? I also recommend this song to get even more happier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJrdg1wdZOo

Now that you are happy, let me tell the story of these dwarfs.

THEY aren't happy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is that some miasma in the goddamn meeting hall of all tantruming/unhappy dwarfs? You can bet it is.
Summer isn't always the happiest season, and I just discovered that.
It doesn't help the fact that all the hunters that are sent to... well... hunt end up dieing. What a bunch of pussies. I already snapped a Camel's neck with my bare FEET and I'm alive and well.

I'm also digging a super channel throught all the map to reach a part of the sea that thanks to Armok is within our map. When we get our hands on metal and a safe way to use the magma, we are going to build a well.

We also lost someone really important to us today. I'm not going to make a ceremony because I got 7 tantruming dorfs currently wreking shit up, but... Rest in peace, Eruonen. May the gods bless your soul. I don't even remember what the hell you used to do but you are a named dwarf, and I guess that I need to update you guys on him.

...But you know what, /df/? YOU KNOW WHAT? I'M GOING TO LIVE THROUGHT THIS SHIT. I'M GOING TO RAISE A FORTRESS FROM THE ASHES OF TANTRUMS TO BE THE MOST POWERFUL NO-WOODEN, ALL METAL DWARVEN CAPITAL TO EVER EXIST!
Also, yeah, Luke.Evil is being a bitch too. But he isn't bitching too much so I'm cool.

And it looks like my motivational Speech attracted some migrants!

And what's best: My channel now connects the fortress' underground to the sea! Not all that's left is the proper channeling and a way to make a chain out of absolutely no metal avaliable and magma from a volcano full of Fire Imps and MagmaMen! ISN'T THAT JUST WONDERFUL?

Also, do look into the stocks screen for a second. What do you see that's wrong?

That's right, NO BOOZE.
NONE.
ALSO, DID I MENTION THAT WE HAVE NO WATER? YEAH.
DID I ALSO MENTION THAT ALL OF OUR BARRELS ARE CURRENTLY BEING USED TO STORE THINGS LIKE FAT AND PLANTS?
...no?
Oh, ok then.
So, yeah, my fortress is going to go thirsty. For a long time.

Well, there we go. First, they start to die from thrist, then, no one is going to be able to trade in Autumn.
Oh god, how I wished that elves would drop by to trade... I regret all the killing and raping and pillaging and all the bad things that I said about them.
I'm starting to go mad myself.

Haar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2009, 01:24:56 pm »

-What Autumn will divide-

This, my friends, is how we are going to greet our brothers from the mountain homes.

Also, RIP, Luke.Evil. Your fast-almost-godly engraving will be remembered for all eternity. Too bad I aparently lost the Screenshot of you succumbing to thrist. I'm sure that you are dieing to see that image.

I can even imagine what they will discuss about. And it brings me an idea. They are obviously going to complain about the lack of magma of the fortress, and I can relate to that.

Now... You are probably wondering: "Is he going to end all of it using magma? How awesome!" or "Is he going to end it all using magma?lol nub, real men kill their fortress using magma and water to make a WATERFALL OF OBSIDIAN TO KILL EVERY DWARF!" or even "Is he still single? He is so handsome!"
I gotta admit that after thinking very carefully and smoking something, I don't think it is fair to end our fortress now. Aside from the fact that there are people still waiting to play, and that I would be letting all of /v/ down if I just ended the game right here, I'm going to give our fortress a chance. Should the Trading caravan reach us and bring wood and booze, we stay. Should the caravan take too long, I'm drowning everyone in the best drink ever.
So, as you know, I'm writing this as I play. Right now, it's heaven or hell. Let's rock.

THANKS GOD, JESUS CHRIST YOU GUYS I WAS WAITING FOR YOU YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO LIVE AROUND HERE, WE ARE JUST 17 *BAM* I MEAN, 16 DWARFS ALMOST

Oh, you are still on the edge of the map. I'll wait, then.

FINNALY FINNALY COME ON COME ON MY TRADERS ARE STARTING TO DIE OFF WE ARE NOW JUST 14 WE ARE SO UNHAPPY PLEASE HELP US

OH THANKS WHILE WE WERE TRADING 11 GRANITE MUGS FOR JUST ONE BARREL OF BEER TWO DWARFS JUST DIED OH GOD THE HORROR

WHAT? NO BARRELS?
BUT I JUST BROUGHT SOME, THEY ARE JUST THERE, JUST TAKE IT YOU..YOU... DOUBLE TRADER!

WHAT? DRINK?
DON'T PLAY GAMES WITH ME, BOYO, IF YOU ARE JUST GOING TO CANCELL IT DON'T GIVE ME HOPE!

OOOOH YES! OH YES OH YES OH YES!
NOW THEY AREN'T THRISTY, THEY ARE JUST UNHAPPY!
WE MIGHT HAVE SOME CHANCES TO PROSPER, GUYS!

So, I'll take a break from abusing from Caps Lock. Why? Because we just got Migrants! And one of them is a Miner! Honestly, I think that this game is either just fucking with my head by giving me hope or I'm really THAT lucky.

No, wait, the game is just fucking with my head.

Haar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2009, 01:46:20 pm »

-What Winter will make me play again-

You know, after you lose more than 40 dwarfs in just a year and your fortress is just struggling to be alive, you have no booze, your brewer isn't brewing, the barrels aren't being reserved for brewing only, and yo only have 4 dwarfs alive, you may get a little philosofical. Like, is this how it was supposed to be? A rough biome can't be beaten by Player skill alone? Well, I beg to differ. As an old portuguese Poet used to say-

Well... erm...

well but...

Ok.... what?

....But at least I forced them... I mean, HIM to brew. So, yeah, for just a lonely dwarf, he is fine.

Look well, /v/ and /df/. Look at this guy. He is the last survivor of The Leaky Noble. He is the last one alive.

He does not have a custom name, he does not have an awesome backstory, he isn't a super strong anything, he didn't slay a dragon, he never faced a goblin in his entire life. But the fortress is now depending solely on him.

Actually, scratch that. We depend on miasma not driving him insane.

So, this is how I finish my year.

Sorry next guy who plays. I'm sure you will prosper, just managing a single guy isn't going to be so bad... Right?... Right? Also, press N in the fort's entrance to see a friendly message that I left there for you :3

==============================================================
Link for download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dmtmmmqhyug
Hope the link works.

Akigagak, thanks for the tips, but as you can see, everything was already played out. Really thanks, tough.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2009, 01:49:26 pm »

Heh well, bad news.

The well, if you had one, wouldn't turn the saltwater into fresh.

Whoever is next needs that last guy to build a screw pump, and a windmill to power it.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Haar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2009, 01:57:21 pm »

Heh well, bad news.

The well, if you had one, wouldn't turn the saltwater into fresh.

Whoever is next needs that last guy to build a screw pump, and a windmill to power it.

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Well
A well even allows dwarves to drink from salt water (though this may be a bug).

Was this bug taken care of? If so.... yeah, now I'm feeling bad about forcing my miners to channel and dig through all the map.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2009, 02:02:17 pm »

Yeah, the wiki's a bit out of date, no-one here really looks at it.

Screw pumps work, and it's only some stone blocks and 5 bits of woo-

Ah.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2009, 02:35:21 pm »

The giant corkscrew and pipe can be made from metal if you have some metal laying about. However, I think the windmill would have to be made of wood, so if you want to operate the pump, your survivor may have to do the pumping manually.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2009, 07:22:07 pm »

Wait, so people were starving and dehydrated, but most of the food and booze barrels were forbidden?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2009, 07:28:47 pm »

Well that was fast. I'm betting I won't get to my turn. Hahah.

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2009, 09:10:25 pm »

Well, looks like Skeleton gets to play a round of Hermit fortress, until the migrants arrive. Here's to hoping the survivor doesn't go insane. But is was such a short fortress, hardly anyone in the list is going to get a turn. We've got to keep this going or start a new one if this one fails, this is /v/'s first sucessful (Read: actually running) bloodline game!
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2009, 10:50:39 pm »

Well, looks like Skeleton gets to play a round of Hermit fortress, until the migrants arrive. Here's to hoping the survivor doesn't go insane. But is was such a short fortress, hardly anyone in the list is going to get a turn. We've got to keep this going or start a new one if this one fails, this is /v/'s first sucessful (Read: actually running) bloodline game!
Nah, I've seen succession forts recover from pretty nasty stuff.  Once, I took the third turn in a game - right after the previous guy decided to kill off all but his dwarf.  But by the end of my turn, we were back in the double digits populations wise, despite suffering a small massacre at the hands of a berserk village liaison.  The fort continued for many a turn (despite humans retaliating for not, ah, seeing many of their merchant kin return ;)), long enough for me to get another go at it and then some.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2009, 06:53:01 am »

Yeah, the wiki's a bit out of date, no-one here really looks at it.

Screw pumps work, and it's only some stone blocks and 5 bits of woo-

Ah.
Actually, they can be made without any wood at all, you can replace the wood components with their metal or glass counterparts.

Just make sure to bury all the other dwarves or the remaining one may well go insane (friends rotting= bad thought, miasma=very very very bad thoughts)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2009, 09:25:38 am »

How long does it take for a single unskilled dwarf to melt around 3-4 bits of ore into bars, then turn those bars into a corkscrew (1 bar), a pipe (2-3 bars(Not sure which)).

Not to mention that they still need a well to avoid the bad thought that not having one gives. So that's a bucket (another bar) some mechanisms, and blocks.

At least a season.

Lazareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2009, 10:14:50 am »

Skeleton, you best hurry up cos you got one more day and we're skipping you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15