Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: /v/'s potentially fail, fortress succession thread!  (Read 37138 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: /v/'s potentially fail, fortress succession thread!
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 08:12:25 pm »

Oh god, 4chan invades.

This should be fun.

For a moment there I was confused with your post.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »

YO DAWGS
I'd like to be included in this, if that's cool.
However: macfag here, will saves from Windows be compatible? I'm using the latest official release.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 08:22:11 pm »

Oh god, 4chan invades.

This should be fun.

For a moment there I was confused with your post.

About which kind of fun I meant? Both.

And yes, the save will work on the mac version, TKGP.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 10:11:56 pm »

First update, 1/2

Well, my mountainhome was getting a tad unlivable – that being, turning into quite the dictatorship. I had nary a drop of booze to myself, my room consisted of a communal barracks, we occasionally had to eat vermin to survive and I was excepted to work under these conditions! Says I, ‘Fuck that!’ It’s all I could do to hold from throwing myself into the fires of my own metalworking furnace. I began a project of my own. I built myself a genuine water-faring boat, and taking some booze with me I found the nearest ocean and set off for a new land.

Looking backing on it, it was quite possibly the stupidest thing I’ve ever done, but Armok must have smiled on me that day for only after a short while’s travel I struck land. And not deserted land either, no, inhabiting this island was a troupe of dwarves looking to establish their own home in the rock, just as I was! Gods be praised, I’d found a new home.

The strange thing was they didn’t seem to be doing too much mining or working. No, they just seemed to be milling about their wagon, slowly consuming their booze and meat supplies. It’s not that they weren’t trained, they had a two miners, also skilled in  masonry, a farmer, an engineer and me, the metal smith. There is also one who considers himself a "robot", and no one can really give me any detail as to why. But no, it wasn’t the lack of skill so much as the lack of leadership. I approached them with a friendly greeting, and they quickly informed me that since my voice is funny (my native accent, I’m sure) I get to be in charge.

Well, I’m not one to put down a challenge. I scouted out the surroundings, while constructing a vague plan in my head. I’ve jotted down a few scribbling here; I hope you can make sense of em.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’ve marked where I’ve decided to strike the earth. The ground formed a nice plateau, so I figured it’d be a good basis for an entrance.

But, before I struck the earth, I got to work on the preliminaries. An organized fortress is a well-run fortress, it’d make no sense to simply start digging willy-nilly. I ordered the wagon deconstructed, and the stores organized into separate stockpiles. Now, here is where I hit my first snag.

After giving the order to the woodcutter to fell trees a plenty, I realized there was not a single stick of wood on this island.

Now, I’m no Elf sympathizer, but I do know that even a dwarf needs to use wood. A rock bed simply won’t suffice – it needs to be a comfortable wood. And, more importantly, you can’t make a barrel out of stone! I had a short panic attack as I realized this. I ran over to the supply zone – With the barreled supplies we had, if we emptied them out, we’d probably be able to make them last. That was a good thing – I told the dwarves around, do not use more than six of the barrels for food! We needed them to brew booze…

Precious, precious booze.

Well, with that problem postponed for the while, I figured it was time to strike the earth. After only this short while, I found myself proud to be overseeing my own fortress. I hummed the national anthem of my homeland as I saw the first rooms carved. The main hallway was excavated, and a bedroom and dining room was hollowed out. A bedroom to fill with what, I don’t know, but a bedroom non the less.

Now if there is one thing I don’t like, it’s a fortress littered with stone. I told everyone just to dump it out to the south, get it out of the way.

With that out of the way, I wanted farms up and running. We dug down and out – searching for dirt to accommodate underground plump helmets. My predictions proved correct – we struck dirt only a short distance from the main hallway, and it was going to prove invaluable to this fortress.

What I wanted next was for our supplies to come inside. I’d seen many a horde of trickster-monkeys swoop down and run off with food, weapons, clothes and booze alike – and with wood supplies the way they were, we couldn’t risk loosing even a single barrel.

That project was quickly finished, and now that we had the essentials down, I considered what to do next. I really hadn’t thought this far ahead. Well, there was bound to be problems with moral as we had to sleep on the cold stone floor of our barrack, so I considered that, but suddenly a much more present danger sprang to mind: the volcano central to this island. How I had managed to forget it in the flurry of activity I don’t know, but I had a very vivid mental image of the story a friend once told me about those exposed volcanoes erupting and spewing magma all about. Surrounded by water and with nowhere to run to, I didn’t want to be cought in the Lava God’s anger, should he choose to cast it upon us. I considered a defensive mechanism, something to keep us safe from any possible explosions…

There, the first step of safety. When the full project is done, I’m sure it will yield calmer thoughts for me. More on that later – I’m sure the volcano won’t erupt immediately, so I designated some other tasks to be completed.

===

Part 2 coming soon!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:26:16 am by As Always »
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

Lazareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 10:29:36 pm »

Good stuff brohamesdam

Hows the water situation coming?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 10:32:13 pm »

I can already spot every bad mistake.

vasily

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 10:48:26 pm »

Introduce us to your dwarfy companions.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 10:51:27 pm »

Did you bring cats? Because right there would be the problem.

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 11:03:09 pm »

Part deux

===

One thing I’ve noticed about this place is that were getting a lot of rain – Torrential in amounts, it makes working outside quite the bother.

I’m sure we’ll get used to it. The farms are up and working now, and the brewer has filled every empty barrel with fine dwarven booze. Maybe this won’t turn out so bad after all.

Considering morale, I’ve ordered the stone detailer to smooth the bedroom out. Maybe sleeping on smooth rock will feel better than the jagged rough. He insists that he should draw pictures on the walls as well – Well, shit, he’s pretty good at what he does and I’m sure looking at some fine artwork will raise spirits. I give him the green light to go ahead. While he’s on it, I’ll get him to smooth out the dining room as well.

Oh, just a note, as for where that wood went, from scrapping the wagon we managed to procure two beds and a single bucket. Hopefully there will never be more than two injuries at a time. I hope really hard.

You’d be surprised what a few nice pictures can achieve.

Aah, jebo moj serću. Traders are here! Is it truly autumn already?! Time flies when you’re overseeing a fortress. We haven’t a thing to give them, and no doubt they are carrying the wood we sorely need. We haven’t even got a trade depot up! I quickly assign the architect and mason to go to work…

…and it takes a few days’ wait for Eruonen, the lazy cretin, to erect the temporary structure. Alas, the traders were tired of waiting around, and they already left! We’ll be going without beds for another year yet. I’m sure we can endure. I’m sure of it. The liaison has requested a meeting, I’m all too happy to oblige. I ask for one thing.

Just bring wood. Lots of wood.

Winter hit shortly after the liaison departed, and boy did it hit hard. I’d never seen real life snow before, coming from my native hot land. On the down side, I am not cut out for this cold weather.

Oh!

I’ve just gotten word that my defensive preparations are complete. I’m sure this rigid structure will keep even the harshest runaway magma at bay. The competition of this project has made me step back and think. Everyone has a place to sleep inside the mountain. We have enough food that it’s rotting in the farms; we have not enough barrels to store it.

Booze is on par and as long as it’s monitored we’ll be kept in a blissful state of drunkenness. We’re safe from the magma and we’ll be able to survive for a long while to come. The stress of this whole expedition has left me ragged, however. I hardly eat anymore, I just feel sick.

Now that spring breaks the winter, it marks my first full year as the leader here. What have I realized in this time? I fucking hate it. I am resigning as of now. I’m done with the stress and the orders and the hussle and bussle. As my last ‘fficial instruction, I order the main hallway to be widened and a staircase to be dug up and down the core of the mountain.

I am but a simple smith, and until we utilize that volcano and I can put together a forge to call my own, I am going to park my ass in this craft shop and do naught but produce stone mugs for trade. Someone else can handle the responsibility.

===

Well, that's the end of my shot. That's the founding of the fortress here are the files for the next-in-line

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yommiunwdmm/v_bloodline.rar

I'm hoping this turns out successfully.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:27:28 am by As Always »

Lazareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 11:22:26 pm »

Next person, lukeevil.

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 12:18:34 am »

Downloading to check out the fort.
And remember if you don't want to see the stone, hide it.
"d" "b" "h" then just hide the stone  so you don't have to haul all of it out, unless you want a stockpile, in that case make a 1x1 dump zone and just mark all the stones you want dumped by "d" "b" "d"

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 12:24:07 am »

Yeah, you could do that, but that'd be... cheating. Undwarfly indeed!

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 12:35:06 am »

Awesome, how do you get on the list to succeed the fort? I've always wanted to be a part of one of these ever since I read boatmurdered.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Lazareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 01:08:39 am »

Awesome, how do you get on the list to succeed the fort? I've always wanted to be a part of one of these ever since I read boatmurdered.

You show interest, which you've done, wanna be added?

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2009, 01:20:24 am »

Oh god, 4chan invades.

This should be fun.
It happens, if anything it will be amusing. I really shouldn't be but for some reason it surprises me just how many have crept out of the woodwork for this one. I'll keep an eye out on this, depending on how it goes and if I have time I'll sign up.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15