Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: /v/'s potentially fail, fortress succession thread!  (Read 37103 times)

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: /v/'s potentially fail, fortress succession thread!
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2010, 11:20:10 am »

Yeah, I made that thread foo. ::)

Okay, guess I'm waiting again.

Brotip: I took a look at the map, the idiot that made the ramparts above the main entrance didn't realize that he didn't get rid of all the ramps on the mountain above it. A siege could waltz in past the magma moat and traps and massacre everyone inside.

Might want to jump on that.

Also I had no idea what any lever did, and there's about 2 unfinished megaprojects for every finished one. The moat and working channel were well done though. There was an aqueduct leading to nowhere suspended in the sky unfinished.
The lever in the tomb controls the bridge.
The lever immediately to the left of the door opens the magma moat drain.
The lever to the left of that one was used during moat construction, but doesn't do anything now.
I don't think the other lever inside the fort does anything, as I pulled it and there were no catastrophes.
Those are the only ones I saw.
I'm pretty sure that there isn't actually a way in besides the bridge. It looks a bit janky, but I sealed up the one spot that was being gotten through, and it should be fine. Also, there aren't any enemies, no kobold or goblin civs on the island, so it's sort of a moot point.
Also, read the other leader's posts, one of them explains the aqueduct's purpose. I didn't bother finishing it because, well, I didn't feel like it, but someone else might like to.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2010, 09:14:17 pm »

-Captain's log starda 4th Granite 209 Early Spring

I was assigned to rule over the Leaky Noble for the period of one year.
The first thing I noticed was the lack of bedrooms, caused by the lack of a lumber source, with any luck the previous ruler of this fortress asked for tower cap logs from the liason.
Knowing that lumber would eventually find its way to the Leaky Noble I started plotting more bedrooms, just below the dining hall:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also some rooms for the two resident nobles were made, having these demands met makes mandates less frequent.

The roads of this settlement were of little worth, they were removed, I ordered the masons to make blocks out of stone for more high quality pavement.
That's all until the end of this season.

-22nd Felsite 209 Late Spring

Nothing surprising happened other than a cheese maker getting possesed, he made some pretty unreasonable demands so he hasn't been delt with.
The roads that I stated to be building eariler have almost been completed:
Just a few more sections to complete, it goes from the depot to the edge of the map.
The rooms have also been dug out, they are designated to be smoothed now, I'm also working on getting some doors up.

Well that's it for Spring of 209, I'll be back tomorrow for Summer, and possibly Autumn.

Oh and just for fun here's the fort in the visualiser:

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2010, 09:36:06 pm »

My beautiful golden roads! D:
I like the 3D shot though, the fort looks pretty... well, janky.
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2010, 08:34:36 pm »

-1st Hematite 209 early summer

And so summer begins with death.
The cheese maker who was possesed in spring finally went berzerk and was swiftly killed by a few nearby marksdwarfs:
WOO THE CHEESE MAKER IS DEAD, LET'S PARTY!
I decided to randomly dig on the bottom floor, I'm not expecting to find much but it'll keep the miners busy.
The next update will be at the end of summer.

-29th Galena 209 Late Summer

While digging I found some silver and emerald, pretty decent.
I don't know what to use it for but I'm just going to smelt it into bars maybe I'll think of something to do with it, if not it's there for someone else.
Another damn fey mood, this time a glassmaker on a map with no god damn sand, stupid dwarf, what was he thinking?
"OH BOY I'M OFFICIALLY A GLASSMAKER I'LL GO TO THAT NEW SETTLEMENT THE LEAKY NOBLE THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NO SAND."
Maybe he was hit on the head as a child.
A bunch of dorfs are thristy, apparently they don't know how to drink from a well(I checked the water level, it's fine), oh well (hurr) that's what we humans call darwinism.
Pic related, it's the near full water levels. Also why the constructed walls? Does that have an effect on the water quality or something?
I decided mine around the well so it has more access, it seemed to help.

That's all for summer, I'm gunna start on Autumn tonight, I may or may not finish it.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2010, 08:58:16 pm »

<stuff>
Pic related, it's the near full water levels. Also why the constructed walls? Does that have an effect on the water quality or something?
<more stuff>
The pump is there to desalinate the water, but if said water touches natural rock it would resalinate, hence the constructions.
You might want to designate the actual reservoir as a water source in addition to the well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:43:10 pm by TKGP »
Cave adaption.

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2010, 09:22:42 pm »

Alright, will do.

Lazareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2010, 01:20:00 am »

<stuff>
<more stuff>
The pump is there to desalinate the water, but if said water touches natural rock it would resalinate, hence the constructions.
You might want to designate the actual reservoir as a water source in addition to the well.

Includes floors and diagonals

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2010, 09:25:44 pm »

-1st Limestone 209 Early autumn

I noticed that there were some rotting plump helmets in the refuse pile due to the lack of room in the food stockpile.
So I decided to extend the food stock piles to prevent further waste of delicious delicious plump helmets.
I have also gotten the masons working on furnishing for the greedy jews nobles, therefore they won't ask for so much god damn stuff.
That's all I have to say until the end of the season.

-30th Timber 209 Late Autumn
The caravan arrived during autumn, bringing with them lots of wood, which was enough for me to make some more rooms, I recommend the next person after me to make some more though.
All of the rooms are engraved and have beds now, in addition the noble rooms are engraved and furnished.
We had some migrants arrive, no new nobles yet but we don't have enough exported wealth for the other nobles to haul their lazy asses here, it's probably better this way.
Oh and one more thing before I go: I noticed a dead baby in the water resivior, I guess he fell into the well.
Ontop of that the baby of the glassmaker that had a fey mood is wandering around the fortress
I'm sure he will survive and live on to be the greatest glassmaker in the fortress, which still has no god damn sand.
With autumn over there's just winter left, which I'll do tomorrow, because I feel like playing Mass Effect 2 now.

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2010, 07:07:03 pm »

-1st Moonstone 209 Early Winter

I noticed that we were dangerously low on booze:
Due to the lack of barrels, so I decided that I would use the silver that was mined to make silver barrels, since wood supplies are limited.
This should bring back our booze supplies to a more stable level and prevent an abundance of dorfs going on breaks.
To my great disappointment there has not been a single golbin attack, ambush or even one measly theif, this is turning out to be very boring.
Maybe we should have embarked on a terrifying biome. Hell I didn't even see an elf or human caravan.

-30th Obsidian 209 Late Winter
A fey mood happened again, this time a gem cutter, he took advantage of those emeralds I found to make:
Picture complete with a skilled artist's representation of the artifact.
Well that makes me one for three on fey moods completed in this season.
In addition the booze supplies are now going up rather than down.
It's the least I could do before handing the fort to someone else.
Oh and that baby is still wandering around, the dorfs are feeding her but it looks like she's on her own now.

Well this is it for my round, I think I maintained the fort pretty well.
It was fun and I look forward to seeing what happens next.

Here's the file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1833

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2010, 08:08:17 pm »

Alright, starting my turn tonight.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2010, 05:38:17 am »

You misspelt "Fun" (post to move to threads-w/-new-replies)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2010, 08:19:18 am »

!

The philosopher sat back in the golden chair, rocking back and forth while blowing bubbles on his pipe.

"I believe we are in an alternate reality..." he kept muttering to himself. The other dwarves bustled back and forth, ignoring him... except for the Captain of the Guard. He had a crossbow at the ready.

The game crashed beginning of summer, right after I took the last screenshot. My last save was mid spring, as a result, some if this will have changed. It is too late for me to play though it again.

INCOMPETENCE, FAILURE, I WILL NOT STAND FOR SUCH BULLSHIT.

I have taken over as first Captain of the Guard, a job that has remained vacant since the beginning of this hole-in-the-ground because the no-beards that previously in charge were afraid of JUSTICE. I was promoted out of the ranks of those sparring with no armor, the best of the best, that which survived and thrived.

First change to the fort under my command after I witnessed the full shittiness of it all, the entire military was revamped. No enemies ever sighted besides wildlife? I DON'T CARE. Armor and shields were assigned to the beards under my command. New squads were formed, and weapons assigned. For some reason one idiot was sparring with a spear, as if he wanted to gore his partners. I quickly fixed this by threatening to promote him to baron's bodyguard once the inevitable nobility shits decide to come to this future model fortress. BUT FIRST!

NO PARTIES MAGGOTS! I have razed the meeting halls and sculpture gardens to the ground! There will be no socializing outside my supervision in the new meeting hall! The only unsanctioned meeting of beards better involve the procreation of new babies for my Guard-dwarves, or by my grandmother's beard I will throw you into the magma with the kittens!

Speaking of kittens, time passes slowly in a boring manner. I know we can liven things up around here by getting rid of the stock.
Unfortunately there are many which already have owners and thus could not be butchered. They are expendable - Now was I referring to the pets or owners? You don't know! HAHAHAHAHA.

I have spoken to this dwarf therapist and streamlined our entire industry. You commie bastards and capitalist pigs are all reassigned! Got it? Any problems and we'll feed you to the fishes!

Our metal works was the size of a elve's beard! Simply nonexistant. I have added 10 magma forges and a dozen or more smelters to bring us up to speed.
Appears a crazy old-beard has taken over one of the forges. He better make something good or he will be smacked into the magma. How convenient...
Not bad old beard, but by Armok's overtly conflagrant anus, what the fuck is a Hill of Touching? Nevermind, I only want you to tell me if someone gets a fell mood, so I can show you where the dissidents sleep.

Oh great. A beard with a brain... gentledwarves, we have a real thinker here, the Philosopher has arrived! At least the dungeon master does proper dwarf metal work while wearing nothing but capes and eyeing the children. I rather have him muttering crazily about taming dragons with that bloodshot look in his eye than a beard that asks why to everything while he smokes a bubble pipe. Why can't I strangle him with my beard? Will someone answer me that?

And what do you mean the alcohol is low? Fix it or I will shoot you in places you didn't know could be shot! Or worse, you will drink water, in the trade depot, while swimming with the elves! No elves? No problem! We'll dress you up like an elf! Enjoy your dwarf hell maggots! Kael's here!

Ahh, summertime! The sweet smell of peasant flesh burning in the sunlight...

Kaelnote: More to come. I need to figure out my backup situation with the save... need to redo half the season.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:24:36 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Haar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2010, 08:42:17 pm »

Oh yeah, to whoever left this message:
Oh you.
Oh god damn, that's just hysterical. Good to know the note system isn't going to waste.

I was the one that made the note.
I even talked about it in the end of my update, I guess SOMEONE isn't paying attention to me.
That WILL be fixed.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy that my name was engraved-- I mean NOTED on my Channel.
Feels good, mango.
It's also good to note that the fortress is running smoothly.
And by smoothly I mean not falling apart.
Also, a few protips that I think it's best to let everyone know:

PROTIP ONE: There are no Elves, Goblins, Kobolts or Humans; It's just us and our beards. And the Dwarfs from the mountainhomes, but that's beside the point.

PROTIP TWO: I remember that there is a Bauxite vein somewhere in the mountain, I had it noted but I deleted it because the >implying note is more important than, let's say, a magma safe metal. That we would really need.
...Yeah. I don't have my priorities set straight.

PROTIP THREE: I was just adopted by a cat. That doesn't have anything to do with the game, but whatever.

PROTIP THIRTY FOUR: If something exists, there is an engraving of it. If it doesn't, the player must make it.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2010, 10:20:01 pm »

Oh yeah, to whoever left this message:
Oh you.
Oh god damn, that's just hysterical. Good to know the note system isn't going to waste.

I was the one that made the note.
I even talked about it in the end of my update, I guess SOMEONE isn't paying attention to me.
That WILL be fixed.
<snips>

<snippy>
Sorry next guy who plays. I'm sure you will prosper, just managing a single guy isn't going to be so bad... Right?... Right? Also, press N in the fort's entrance to see a friendly message that I left there for you :3
<sniptacular>

Oh. Sorry 'bout that.
Cave adaption.

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2010, 11:54:25 pm »

CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15