Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Wood logs [Update] Tower complete - stonesense inside!  (Read 8984 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wood logs
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 09:29:33 pm »

Do you have enough bins and barrels?

If you answered yes, then you, Sir, are a liar.
The question is irrelevant because for some reason my dwarves are no longer using my food stockpiles.  There are a few hundred barrels of alcohol in the general vicinity of my stills and they haven't been moved to the stocks for some time now.

Do you have enough wooden training bolts? 
If you answered yes, then you, sir, are a liar.
I have 6 legendary marksdwarves with 40-100 kills each, I don't need more bolts or marksdwarves.

Do you have a water source handy?
No running water.

You can use charcoal for steel, right? (I honestly don't remember, as I haven't made steel in a while)

If yes, that's your answer, assuming you have iron as well. Other than that, someone here suggested making clear glass, which is also a neat idea.
No sand and the mountainhome apparently has no flux.  Believe me, I've been punching myself for that one.

I'd make ballistas/catapults, but I'd end up dumping them...  but my fort is self-sealing during sieges thanks to pressure plates and bridges, so defenses aren't an issue.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 09:41:58 pm »

The question is irrelevant because for some reason my dwarves are no longer using my food stockpiles.  There are a few hundred barrels of alcohol in the general vicinity of my stills and they haven't been moved to the stocks for some time now.

Make sure you didn't tinker with your food stockpiles in a way that would keep them from taking the barrels there. You can set the number of allowed barrels in a stockpile, and perhaps you did set it to zero inadvertently.

Someone suggested soap earlier, and I second that motion. If you have little or no livestock, then you should order some from the Mountainhome or the humies, and/or try trapping and taming some if you have any wildlife on your map. That isn't done via the trapping labor, unintuitive as that sounds, but by building cage traps randomly or in chokepoints.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:48:20 am by assimilateur »

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 10:26:29 pm »

If this is the case, make a giant tree out of all that wood.

Bonus Points if you use a green rock for the leaves.

More bonus points if you use more than one color of rock to simulate Autumn.

Mega Bonus Points if your can make the 'leaves' fall on command to crush invaders.

And +1 Internets if you pump Magma through it.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 12:30:54 am »

Do you have enough wooden training bolts? 
If you answered yes, then you, sir, are a liar.

Umm... bins/barrels yes. Wooden bolts? I have to conscientiously ask why would you ever need wooden bolts if you have a wealthy fortress producing masses of goblin bone from sieges? My last obscenely wealthy fortress had over 2000 conveniently stockpiled unused bone bolts, with 10 off-duty marksmen trying to use them all the time, and the stock continued to grow.

I found out earlier today that bone bolts tend to be created in much smaller stacks.  So your marksdwarves are only firing 5 bolts at a time when they could be firing 25.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 12:55:04 am »

Lemunde: Bone botls come out as 5 bolts per bone in the stack, so fish bones and bones from severed limbs will result in a 5-bolt stack, whereas dragon or titan bones give you 100 bolts in the stack. Wood and metal give a flat 25-per-bar/log.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 01:30:54 am »

Oh, this one's easier than you think. Wood is used to make charcoal, right?

"But I use magma, I don't need charcoal."

Ahhh, you don't need charcoal for BURNING, no.

But a charcoal tower? That, you do need!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 03:38:57 am »

Alright.  I'm constructing a giant middle finger made of wood in the direction the elves come from.

[Edit] Also, regarding the stockpile thing.  I deleted and rebuilt my main food stockpile as a 'general food' stockpile (minus prepared meals and booze, I have seperate stocks for those) as opposed to a number of seperate piles to make sure I always have some pig tails / quarry bushes available, still no dice.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:45:26 am by shadowform »
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 04:03:01 am »

Did you look at your standing orders menu? You might have inadvertently switched on "dwarves ignore food" or something.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 04:16:26 am »

Did you look at your standing orders menu? You might have inadvertently switched on "dwarves ignore food" or something.
....maybe.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 11:16:31 am »

Alright.  I'm constructing a giant middle finger made of wood in the direction the elves come from.

QFT.

You have found a worthy goal, sir.  I demand pictures, when you finish. 

Bonus points if you get an elven caravan in the picture, in front of the bird.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 11:22:31 am »

You need ash for lye, which is needed for soap, which is needed for a soap tower.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 12:10:17 pm »

Oh, this one's easier than you think. Wood is used to make charcoal, right?

"But I use magma, I don't need charcoal."

Ahhh, you don't need charcoal for BURNING, no.

But a charcoal tower? That, you do need!

Or a pearlash tower?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 04:25:09 pm »

Does DF Visualizer capture units in the image or is it limited to constructions?

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 04:32:43 pm »

Only constructions, and I believe not even all of those
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 10:58:38 pm »

giant wood elf.

channel magma to base.

watch result.

Unfortunately, constructions do not burn AFAIK.

What about supports? will they burn? then you could make the first level from only supports...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4