Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wood logs [Update] Tower complete - stonesense inside!  (Read 8986 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wood logs [Update] Tower complete - stonesense inside!
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:55:10 am »

A dwarven caravan just brought me 65 tower cap logs.  I don't know why they brought so many.  My stocks are already full from human caravans, in fact, they're already overfull.  I have more beds than I do dwarves - twice as many.  At least twice as many.  I even have beds in all 40 of my jail cells - which again, I have far too many of.  My marksdwarves are all legendary already, and the map is already covered in more giant cave spider silk than I could hope to use as trading goods.  I have magma, so there's no need for charcoal.

I bought the logs, of course.  Now I just need something to do with them.

[Update] The Tower of Fu is complete!  Mostly.  I think I'm gonna make the middle finger a bit taller.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:46:12 pm by shadowform »
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Wood logs
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 06:58:00 am »

giant wood elf.

channel magma to base.

watch result.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:59:15 am »

If you don't have a magma forge, you can just systematically burn each and every one for fuel for smelting.

You could build a big tower, use it as a silo and store a bunch of food and crap in it.  Or just build the tower.  Everything's better with phallic symbols!

OR do what Metal Militia suggested.  That sounds like the coolest wicker man burning ever.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 07:13:30 am »

giant wood elf.

channel magma to base.

watch result.

Unfortunately, constructions do not burn AFAIK.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 07:14:32 am »

Axles and water wheels use a lot of wood.  Set up magma pumping stations all over the map that can be activated to burn goblins wherever they might appear.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:02:19 am »

Do you have sand?

If so, Clear Glass Fortress
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:49 am »

Do you have enough bins and barrels?

If you answered yes, then you, Sir, are a liar.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:29:45 am »

Do you have enough wooden training bolts? 
If you answered yes, then you, sir, are a liar.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:34:06 am »

Do you have enough wooden training bolts? 
If you answered yes, then you, sir, are a liar.

Umm... bins/barrels yes. Wooden bolts? I have to conscientiously ask why would you ever need wooden bolts if you have a wealthy fortress producing masses of goblin bone from sieges? My last obscenely wealthy fortress had over 2000 conveniently stockpiled unused bone bolts, with 10 off-duty marksmen trying to use them all the time, and the stock continued to grow.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:14:50 am »

Sounds like it is time to train up Urist McSlingshot's catapult making skills.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 10:16:15 am »

Do you have a water source handy?

If so: http://www.mmdtkw.org/03-04BarbegalMill.jpg

If you don't have a hill, then build one out of blocks (green glass if you have sand) and use a series of pumps to recycle the water.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:55:18 am »

If you don't use the logs at all, the next time a caravan arrives, they'll notice you have a ton of logs, and as a result won't bring as many, if at all.

Whether or not this leaves room for other, more desirable goods, I cannot answer.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 10:58:34 am »

I have magma, so there's no need for charcoal.

You can use charcoal for steel, right? (I honestly don't remember, as I haven't made steel in a while)

If yes, that's your answer, assuming you have iron as well. Other than that, someone here suggested making clear glass, which is also a neat idea.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 11:43:09 am »

Pearlash or soap road and trade depot for elven delight.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 12:59:40 pm »

You can use charcoal for steel, right? (I honestly don't remember, as I haven't made steel in a while)
Charcoal and coke are both treated as identical, generic 'fuel' in-game, which is probably true to life; steel made from charcoal would be utter crap compared to what you'd get with coke from a modern blast-furnace, but in the period DF is said to represent the difference would be pretty minimal.

If I were you I'd use about half the wood for charcoal and the rest for bins and barrels, none of which you can ever have too many of, and maybe knock out a few extra ballista arrows if you use them.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4