Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Wood logs [Update] Tower complete - stonesense inside!  (Read 8962 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wood logs
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 04:55:28 pm »

giant wood elf.

channel magma to base.

watch result.

Unfortunately, constructions do not burn AFAIK.

What about supports? will they burn? then you could make the first level from only supports...

Make the statue out of supports and floors?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 12:25:25 am »

Floors are a construction, just like walls. All constructions like that are indestructible.

Supports... I just don't know. I don't believe they create a floor, and I don't think they would transfer heat and cause other things to burn unless perhaps Magma passed through the tiles, which would just destroy the supports and cause anything they were supporting to come crashing down. In the form of deconstructed materials (logs) which would vanish/burn in the magma. So you'd see your bigarse statue come down in one massive cave in and burn up on the ground very quickly.

The idea of burning or scorched supports, which still remain functional until their integrity is compromised, is a very interesting one. It should be compiled in a suggestion to go with cave-ins and load-bearing on structure/support wear and failure.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 12:40:16 am »

Make a giant elf out of wood, and flood the base around it with magma. Now of course it won't burn, but then you collapse the elf into the magma, causing it to turn into a ton of wood logs that will burn.

Bonus points if you turn it into charcoal first, because charcoal takes a ton of time to burn in magma so you'll have a pool of magma billowing smoke for a long time.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 10:30:57 am »

All you guys keep suggesting soap! But don't you realize, he needs glass to make soap? Which means that if he could make soap, he could make clear glass! Which he already stated he has no sand... Pity.

I say... make mugs, sell them, profit!
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2009, 10:41:17 am »

he needs glass to make soap

I guess some of us just subconsciously assumed that you could import clear glass vials to build your alchemist's shop. It's a pity you can't.

One more use for wood would be potash for fertilization. Granted, you'd use low amounts of wood to fertilize your fields, but at least you'd be producing something useful thanks to it (namely, bigger stacks of food, allowing you to make more expensive and compact roasts).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 10:45:26 am by assimilateur »

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2009, 07:35:10 pm »

Useful?  This is Dwarf Fortress.  Plus I already import potash and have way more food than I'll ever need.

Anyway.  I took a bit of a break, but I have a design for the construction.  It's going to be an eleven-story tall hand with an extended middle finger, facing in the direction the elves usually come from, made from solid wood (hollow only as needed to construct it from the inside).  Should use a total of something like 590 blocks.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2009, 09:03:48 pm »

Make a 2D elf out of charcoal somewhere (dump it with micromanaged zones, I suppose, since constructions refuse to burn). Burn it.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2009, 10:49:58 am »

The ideal situation for me is them bringing large quantities of wood logs, anvils, and milk.

Try hollowing out a large subterranean chamber and building wooden buildings in it to live in.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2009, 01:51:48 pm »

Make a 2D elf out of charcoal somewhere (dump it with micromanaged zones, I suppose, since constructions refuse to burn). Burn it.
No.

The ideal situation for me is them bringing large quantities of wood logs, anvils, and milk.

Try hollowing out a large subterranean chamber and building wooden buildings in it to live in.
If I wanted functional I would just dig some living chambers.  This is meant to be a massive monument of 'SCREW YOU' to the Elves.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 12:11:54 am »

If I wanted functional I would just dig some living chambers.  This is meant to be a massive monument of 'SCREW YOU' to the Elves.
If you intend to build a massive monument of blasphemy against the elves, why don't you build it out of, well, real wood?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2009, 01:27:57 am »

If you intend to build a massive monument of blasphemy against the elves, why don't you build it out of, well, real wood?

I'm building a giant middle finger out of real wood.  It serves no function other than to murder trees.  A lack of functionality is intentional.

Also: elf trader came today.  Brought 28 logs.  I traded him a bloody goblin sock for them.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 01:34:21 am »

I'm building a giant middle finger out of real wood.  It serves no function other than to murder trees.  A lack of functionality is intentional.

Also: elf trader came today.  Brought 28 logs.  I traded him a bloody goblin sock for them.
Ah, I was under the impression that you were building it out of tower-caps, would hate for much effort to be put into the project only for the elves to laugh when they see it, as opposed to them crying and vomiting as is intended.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2009, 08:44:22 pm »

The thumb, pinky, and bottom two levels are complete.  Third level almost complete.

Or, they would be if I had remembered that fingers wrap back around instead of suddenly terminating at their tips.  I'm going to need more wood than I had anticipated, but it shouldn't be too hard to build on to the base structure once its up.  Either way, the dimensions on this thing are probably going to be all screwed up anyway; I'm no artist.

And yes, while tower caps were used in the construction of the Tower of Fu.

So, some screenshots, taken with Khazad (since I can't get 3dwarf to pull the images out of DF).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2009, 11:46:18 pm »

Epic. I've wanted to do this for a long time.
Bonus points if you somehow throw screaming elves off the top.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 01:10:09 pm »

Epic. I've wanted to do this for a long time.
Bonus points if you somehow throw screaming elves off the top.
It's be easy enough to connect it with my existing underground tunnel system for safe access during sieges (which I should probably do already, come to think of it) and from there it's just building a stairway that reached all the way to the top of the middle finger.

The first elf caravan that doesn't bring me wood will be thrown off the cliff.  These elves must have some strange sort of passive-aggressive self loathing...  they're a surprisingly good supply of wood.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4