Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Super ready  (Read 3108 times)

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super ready
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:14 am »

Lol.

I am! I am!

I have been starting the tutorial, watching my dwarves farm and set up the beginnings of the fort. it's pretty fun!

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 11:30:23 am »

have the wiki open at all times and feel free to tab out to it when you want to do something and look it up if needed.  other than that you will probably lose your first few forts to not know what the heck you were doing.  I think i lost at least 5-10 forts before I got one that survived long enough to be sieges.  also embark in an easy area (generally a heavily wooded area)  every new fortress try to incorporate something new, like a moat, or an industry you didn't do before.  for instance i always did cloths but than i added dyes.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 01:15:58 pm »

Uhh...I didn't know what to wiki here. But I haven't been in the game long, basically just finished the first part of the tutorial...but what the heck is this:

I mean, it looks like blood to me, and there are random squares around the little base camp that are red. I am not sure what happened or how to find out what happened...but yeah...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 01:25:54 pm »

It's exposed sandy loam; when a creature steps on a grass tile, they have a chance of trampling and removing the grass. The area directly around your wagon often gets very thoroughly trampled before you move things inside, as do common footpaths outside (which is neat, because it makes common footpaths visible).

If you have a question about what a tile is, you can use the loo(k) feature to examine the contents of a tile. If there is a pool, spatter, or smear of blood in a tile, that's the second-best way of finding it (the best is if the surroundings aren't red normally and you just see it  ;)), but just blood isn't enough to tell you what happened, either. You need corpses for that.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 01:39:06 pm »

Okay cool. I was like "BUT I DIDN'T EVEN SEE ANYTHING AROUND ME TO KILL ME!" But I am relieved to hear that it is just the ground. It makes sense also since I still have gatherers running around the areas, and there is red squares scattered. Very good tip, Necro, thanks!

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 01:51:52 pm »

I think the worst noob mistake I ever made (other than starving every one to death) was not constructing bins. Didn't know what they were for till several forts in till my frined, whom I taught how to play ironically, told me. Do you know how long it takes to haul 200 rock crafts to the depot ONE BY ONE?

Later I showed him how to dump rocks in a refuse pile so I figure we're even. Hurray for Captnduck.

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 02:37:45 pm »

Lol. Love captnduck. Helped me get the gumption to start this, since his tutorials are so good. But yeah, I am currently digging a few levels down, and still using the tutorial. So far so good. No massive problems. I have all the dwarves fed and drunk, and am having a blast. I want something bad to happen soon so I can join the club!

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 02:52:59 pm »

When it happens you'll know. Just after it's too late of course.

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 05:09:52 pm »

One quick tip:

On embark, use turtle as your main food source. The shells will be practically needed for strange moods.

I don't notice this much anymore, although it was true for older versions.

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 05:21:19 pm »

Isn't it kind of sad that all the work you put into a fortress...it all goes away once something happens? Kind of disheartening, but I guess you learn from mistakes lol

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 06:23:03 pm »

Isn't it kind of sad that all the work you put into a fortress...it all goes away once something happens? Kind of disheartening, but I guess you learn from mistakes lol

You can always reclaim a lost Fort with a new bunch of Dwarves.
Never pet a burning dog.

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 08:37:34 pm »

Another quick question:

On the tutorial, TinyPirate wants me to build a bigger booze and food storage facility. I accidently expanded my one upstairs without him telling me (lol) but my problem is...is that the floor he has me doing all my mass construction on and stuff, well...I can't go down further on the map, since my bedrooms and meeting hall are as far down as I can go on the map. I am not sure how to expand further down. I COULD build into the meeting hall, and have storage go through there, but I am not sure if that is too much traffic. I can provide a screenshot if necessary, but yeah...no idea how to make the map go down, if it will at all, which it seems it doesn't.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2009, 09:19:16 pm »

Well therer is a bottom limit.

shift + . and ,
A.k.a > and <

If you have been using them and you still cant go down that means youve gotten to the bottom of your map.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2009, 09:26:04 pm »

Sorry got not saying that correctly. I mean down, as in not Z-axis down, i.e, if I used my down arrow key to scroll down on my current level, of say, 143, I hit the bottom of that map.

This is what I mean since you can see that I hit the very edge of the bottom.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:40:09 pm by Dizzan »

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 10:11:55 pm »

You hit the edge of the map, cant do anythign bout that.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4