Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38

Author Topic: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Game over, LASD and Vector win!)  (Read 56719 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Game Started, 72 hours to go in Day 1)
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 03:37:11 pm »

Haha, can't hurt to try. So do we "unlock" the rules as they come up or do we figure these things out on our own?

Probably better to tell everyone, given that if there's any sort of scumteam (Mafia, cult, whatever) they'll be communicating personally-discovered rules with each other.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 05:29:08 pm »

Good morning, Apostolic Nihilist.  Of the players here, which three would you most prefer as scumpartners?
Morning? It's afternoon!

Regardless, such a list is easy to compile:

Alsark
Vector
Leafsnail

Vector/you due to being flawless in Beginner's Mafia a while back. Leafsnail because I haven't been scum with him yet and it'd be interesting to observe his style first-hand. Also, I feel like I've been voting him specifically too much recently, which is odd.

Alsark because he looks like he'd be easy to bus/lynch. I'd probably push a lynch on him D2 (perhaps D1 if I'm feeling bold) and bus him to clear myself.

Vote GlyphGlaff for unvoting alot.
ToonyMan for mangling GlyphGlyph's name so badly. On a serious note, who do you think has the upper hand in this game? Town? Scum? Or perhaps even unaligned?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 06:13:38 pm »

Rysith.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 06:52:33 pm »

Have my role and I am ready to go! I will reserve my vote until later on in the day when I have seen some discussion - I was never a fan of random voting.

Then how the crap does the discussion get rolling? Hmm? Just sit around and wait for people to yell "i scum lol u got me!!!1!"? No. That's a terrible idea, Alsark.

To Leaf: Both regular and BasMod.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Alsark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 07:07:02 pm »

Have my role and I am ready to go! I will reserve my vote until later on in the day when I have seen some discussion - I was never a fan of random voting.

Then how the crap does the discussion get rolling? Hmm? Just sit around and wait for people to yell "i scum lol u got me!!!1!"? No. That's a terrible idea, Alsark.

To Leaf: Both regular and BasMod.

I have already described my thoughts on the matter. But no, seriously, tell me how asking somebody some of these questions helps find scum. It helps us get a discussion going, sure, which is great, but how does it help find scum? I can maybe see the "who would you prefer as scum partners" question to help, but other than that, what can there possibly be?

@Apostolic Nihilist ... I'd be an easy lynch just because I'm new to these forums and have a different playing style than most? :(

"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser the Third. Don't hesitate to call."

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 07:17:30 pm »

I have already described my thoughts on the matter.

No, you didn't. You said "i dont c how that helps" not how you actually plan to get discussion (which is supposedly what you go by) going. If everyone just followed your idea of waiting for discussion to start, then how does it get started? It doesn't. That's how. If we all just sat around waiting for discussion, where would we as town get to by the end of Day 1? Nowhere, that's where. You say that you recognize the importance of discussion, but not the importance of getting discussion started. Sitting around and waiting for something to happen is anti-town by the sheer fact that you aren't actively trying to help the town.

I ask you again: How do you plan to get discussion started?

Alsark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 07:24:39 pm »

I don't appreciate the fact that you quote me using improper grammar, implying stupidity, when I clearly do not type that way. Anyway, as I said, I am not a strong early game player, and again, as I said, I admit I tend to sort of "sit back" towards the beginning of the game. So I agree that I don't particularly do much at the beginning of a round, but I pick up mid-game and late-game. Also, perhaps it can be regarded as a bit selfish, but there are already people asking one another questions to get discussion going, so there is no need for me to do the same (especially when I do not see the point in such).

There is no means by which to "scum slip" from the questions that are being asked unless you are just a tremendously awful mafia player. So I don't really believe that, through the discussion, any one lynch will be any easier through the questions asked and answers received unless you happen to get extremely lucky and somehow hit the nail on the head. I don't see that as happening. Rather, it seems more like a way just to keep the thread busy until the actual game gets going. There's no problem with that, but I also don't see how it aids in finding scum. The fact of the matter is, at least to me, the day 1 lynch will almost always be the hardest lynch because you have absolutely nothing to go off of in a logical sense. You can try asking questions to get discussion going, which is nice, and certainly doesn't hurt, but I also don't know how much it would help.

"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser the Third. Don't hesitate to call."

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2010, 07:53:50 pm »

I don't appreciate the fact that you quote me using improper grammar, implying stupidity, when I clearly do not type that way.

I type like an 7 year old kid who doesn't know how to behave on the internet for everybody's "quotes," whether positive or negative. You'll want to get used to that, because I'm not changing how I play for anyone but me, though I will attempt to lessen my cursing like I do in games with "younger" players since you are apparently against that.

While I agree with you that trivial questions can be quite trivial, that's not the only way to play the Random Voting Stage. I and a number of others attempt to break people. It gets good game-relevant discussion going early on, which you can pick apart to look for inconsistencies and such things. Every now and then the person actually does break. New people are especially good for this practice.

Also, not really relevant now until we get some, but I'm guessing your "logical sense" dies at the sight of WIFOM. Just a prediction right now.

I can tell thou art scum, Foulsark! Why dost thou protest so loud to the rope around thy neck? Only witches have reason to fear death (for all magic dies along with them). Thou must be a witch!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:01 pm »

I'll be anyone but John Proctor really.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 09:09:01 pm »

So e're pretty much playing Maofia? ._.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 09:31:26 pm »

Alsark: to paraphrase some helpful person from a different Mafia game who's name I cannot remember:
The point is to get the Mafia talking, and out of their shells. Once that's done, it's somewhat easier to get them.

Did anybody get any general info regarding the rules in their PM text? I know (Okay, think I know. If the PMs can be trusted.) that my death will toggle the status of one of the rules. I know which rule, but I haven't a clue about what the rule does/will do.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 09:54:44 pm »

Halmie, what do you think the best way to discover the hidden rules is?
Well I think this game should be treated like a normal mafia till something happens, otherwise we are talking infinite possibilies of bastardry.

Wow, sudden idea. Rysith what are the supplemental rules? Either my pm was lying or he can answer that question.

Alsark, start contributing to more than your defence.

My vote goes now to Vector, you havn't been voted yet, cant have that can we?
Meh.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 10:39:35 pm »

I know (Okay, think I know. If the PMs can be trusted.) that my death will toggle the status of one of the rules. I know which rule, but I haven't a clue about what the rule does/will do.

Does it hint at whether this would be worth wasting a possible townie's life for both town and scum to know 1 rule?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 11:13:54 pm »

No. I ment toggling the on/off state. There was no mention of any rules being revealed upon my death.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2010, 12:26:08 am »

There you are, discussing things with each other (at volume, in some cases) when suddenly the swirling sky parts to reveal a train of giraffes. And upon the back of the giraffes is balanced a turtle, and on the turtle's broad shell there is a tablet of stone. And upon the tablet of stone are engraved these words:

My, my! Quite the start we've got here!

Questions every which way. Some for us (some for you). Some to be answered (others, others to be not). Some questions may also be better answered in private, so you might consider that. You just have to cover your mouth and think the words, we'll hear you just fine. Meditate on these, and you may find enlightnment.

But, while you're waiting for enlightenment, someone asked for a vote count!

Vector[2]
Apostolic Nihilist[2]
Toonyman[1]
LASD[1]
Alsark[1,1]
Glyphgryph[1]
Halmie[1]

There. Wasn't that enlightening? Of course, you can't answer, but I'm sure it was.

Now, on to your questions...

Rysith, can we have a vote count?
Not any more, dearie. That one will have to last you at least another few hours.

Rysith, what are the hidden rules?
Once you know, you never tell.

Rysith what are the supplemental rules?
They're rules that make things a bit different, a bit more interesting. But they're all small additions, and we're glad to see that you're following them all quite well thus far.

Now, we realized we forgot a few things during our introduction, but you seem to have picked up on them fabulously. Votes in red, Fingers of Suspicion in blue. Otherwise, the accountants might get confused, and who knows what will happen then. And don't let us catch you talking privately with each other, or we'll have to do something much more serious than just taking away your vote. Much more serious indeed.

But! You've only got another 58 hours left to come to your decision, and you seem to have quite a bit that you want to talk. Carry on, carry on. We'll send someone down in a while later to check on you again.

As you finish reading, the entire parade turns majestically and walks back up into the clouds.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38