Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 38

Author Topic: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Game over, LASD and Vector win!)  (Read 56647 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Enlightenment?, 24 hours remain in Day 2)
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2010, 07:47:42 pm »

And I'm back again. I felt like it at the time, but I realized that it could be bad for town. And note that I have been intentionally lurking. I really feel like claiming now.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2010, 08:21:15 pm »

We desperately need a vote count to see what the hell has happened since the last one.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2010, 11:45:46 pm »

Colors float, smells flash, and shadows dance on cave walls as the votes fly nearly faster than ever before. The knotted purple sky heaves, tossing a nickel silver tablet from the heavens to your outstretched arms, etched upon its face the words of wisdom that you seek:

Vim! Vigor! Conviction! Intent! All excellent qualities! The Day draws near its end, and the time of judgment is on you! Revel in it now, for for one of you it will be your last!

Alsark [2,1]
Apostolic Nihilist [0,2]
LASD [0,2]
Nirur Torir [0,1]
Redwarrior0 [0,3]
Shades [0,1]
Toonyman [1,0]
Vector [0,1]
Zai [1,1]

No Lynch [1]

Rule Four is now active, here to join all but Rule 5 as you make your final adjustments.

Now then,

Has anyone broken any rules since the game's incipience?

No, the rules remain unbowed and unbroken.

Make your final preparations then, and for those that survive may you sleep well, to wake tomorrow and continue to glory in the celebration that is life!

The tablet is received, the words absorbed. It falls to the sand as the votes and fingers fly about to decide which of you will be chosen before night.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

So we can safely assume that either Redwarrior or Alsark is about to get lynched, probably.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm... both my things went where they were "supposed" to, I think.  That's odd... wanted them to land on Alsark >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Alsark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Game Started, 72 hours to go in Day 1)
« Reply #290 on: January 27, 2010, 12:19:10 am »

Before I say anything else, I just find it funny when other people call somebody else scum as though it were a fact. Unless you're scum yourself, you cannot claim the affiliation of another player. So unless you're either scum or enjoy being wrong, I'd appreciate the dropping of the term "scumbucket".

I will reserve my vote until later on in the day when I have seen some discussion - I was never a fan of random voting.

So, Alsark, here's the deal.  You show up D1, make some hemming and hawing excuses about how you "don't typically do anything D1."  You say you'll start voting once people start voting for reasons--which immediately starts happening once you make that particular announcement.

Voting for me because of my consistent playing style, you mean? Yeah, that's a good reason :/.

... What is there to ask? It's day 1. In my opinion, any possible questions would be irrelevant and could not aid in finding scum. For example, I do not see how asking somebody to make up a rule would in any way help us to scum hunt. That is why I have nothing to ask and shall also be withholding my vote. Besides, we have extremely long day phases so there's no rush.

When requested to help enliven the discussion, you effectively kill it, saying that there's no need to kick-start things (especially because days are so long~!).  Rather than attempting to figure out a better mode of behavior, you decide that our efforts are pointless... and so you will sit back, and watch the town languish.  This is perhaps the definition of non-proactive.

I've already stated my opinion on this. I really don't see how a lot of what was being said helps to find scum - at all. It's like talking about a football game and trying to find scum while doing it. It's just not going to happen.

<snipped excuses>

Obviously I do not discourage the discussion - discussion is always nice, but I guess I just don't really see how asking trivial questions will help in finding scum. If it helps you then that's great, but I probably won't pick up on much until people start voting for people with reasonings.

Right--you don't discourage the discussion.  You just pass it off as trivial and figure you'll ignore it, rather than doing anything about it.  That's called "discouragement by omission," doodabuddy.  Additionally, reasoning has been supplied for votes... and yet you still haven't been active at all.  Hm.  What a lovely nest of lies you weave.

Reasoning as in the past couple of days? Honestly I couldn't tell you because I haven't been checking the site. So of course I wasn't active - I wasn't even here. That's why I'm trying to find a replacement. I have other things going on that came up after my joining, so participating in a round where a lot of people were already against me due to my playing style in the first place wasn't exactly top priority.

So I agree that I don't particularly do much at the beginning of a round, but I pick up mid-game and late-game. Also, perhaps it can be regarded as a bit selfish, but there are already people asking one another questions to get discussion going, so there is no need for me to do the same (especially when I do not see the point in such).

There is no means by which to "scum slip" from the questions that are being asked unless you are just a tremendously awful mafia player. So I don't really believe that, through the discussion, any one lynch will be any easier through the questions asked and answers received unless you happen to get extremely lucky and somehow hit the nail on the head. I don't see that as happening. Rather, it seems more like a way just to keep the thread busy until the actual game gets going. There's no problem with that, but I also don't see how it aids in finding scum. The fact of the matter is, at least to me, the day 1 lynch will almost always be the hardest lynch because you have absolutely nothing to go off of in a logical sense. You can try asking questions to get discussion going, which is nice, and certainly doesn't hurt, but I also don't know how much it would help.

Passiveness, excuses, etc., etc.  "Well, I don't know how much it will help, so I'm just going to sit here until someone decides to make things look game-like.  You'd have to be really lucky to hit someone on the head, right?  Yeah, lucky..."

Looks to me like Zai got lucky, hey?

Not even sure what this means, so no comment.

I suppose I'll go ahead and ask the only question that seems of any relevance to me, and why not go ahead and just have everybody answer it at once? So to everybody: "What three players would you most prefer as scumbuddies and why?" Obviously Apostolic Nihilist needn't answer since he already has.

Then, you proceed to provide... even less information.  This is called piggybacking/buddying.  It doesn't matter whether you're doing it WRT an entire argument or just stealing someone's question during RVS: you're thefting someone else's work and running with it.

Now, as for why this is scummy, rather than merely lazy.  Mafia is largely a game of information control.  When you copy others' thoughts, chosen questions, whatever, it becomes impossible to read you.  You are throwing up a smokescreen of other people's thoughts and feelings, which in turn will help make you look artificially town.

Nice try, scumbucket.

So asking a question somebody else asked is scummy? Explain. There simply aren't any good questions to ask that will net in scum or even come close to netting scum that you can ask on day 1. So obviously me asking people the ONLY question that actually seemed reasonable has to make me scum! :/ Plus I saw somebody else ask that question on another round - I figured it was a common question to ask. But evidently it's copy-righted and only one person can ask it per round; everybody else is scum. My bad.

I guess I should test out my vote to see if there is anything weird regarding it. I'll try voting for somebody who doesn't have a vote on them just to see if anything funny happens. For now, that vote will be LASD.

Could you be any more passive?  "Oh, I do declare!  What if I decided to vote LASD?  Oh, my!  Isn't it marvelous, Mr. Darcy?"

And you thought you objected to Zai.  Sucks for you, Miss Elizabeth Bennett.

I was testing the voting system - I don't see any reason to get uppity about it.

I guess I should test out my vote to see if there is anything weird regarding it. I'll try voting for somebody who doesn't have a vote on them just to see if anything funny happens. For now, that vote will be LASD.

LASD has a vote on them, and was just voted for by Pandarsenic for that very reason. So well done for not actually reading what people have posted before you over-react to a day one randomness and also making it yet harder to work out what is going on.

Also well done for making me think your scum, I would vote for you but I'm not changing that till I know have the slightest idea what is going on.

Sorry, it was like 6:30 AM and I had pulled an all-nighter after doing homework all night. I didn't even see Pandarsenic's vote. I don't see how me also voting for LASD made things harder, though. Care to explain?

I guess I should feel proud. At least explain why you think that?

"Oh, my.  I'm so proud of my ability to be scummy!  Aren't I charming?"

No.  No, you are not.  What in the hell induced you to think that looking ragingly scummy was a positive?

It's called sarcasm. I'll be sure to point out every little intent in all of my posts just to not confuse you from now on. And I don't believe he ever did answer my question.

Oh, but yeah, as for having one fewer vote on me than I should... I don't know. I think you'd know if you had your voting rights removed since it said somewhere you'd get a warning first. So if you never got a warning there is no reason why you'd have no vote. So maybe Zai's vote doesn't count or maybe your vote doesn't count and you don't know it, or maybe votes on me are one fewer and I don't know it. I guess there could be a couple of weird reasons. Who knows with a semi-b round.

A most lovely BUCKET OF WIFOM.  Seriously, dude.  It's like you're a scumtell-o-matic.

I fail to see how one person saying, "Maybe Zai broke the rules," and then me explaining that that isn't a possibility (while offering a host of other possibilities) is WIFOM. I must not know the definition of WIFOM. Sorry!

I actually agree with Shades here. Theoretically, even if we KNEW the scum, it wouldn't do us much good if we didn't actually know how to vote for them. I'd say we need to do a fine balance between scumhunting and discovering how this system works. We cannot completely ignore scumhunting, but at the same time, we cannot just vote as though this were some normal game - because it clearly isn't.

Right.  Now we don't need to scumhunt, we need to find out the voting mechanic.  That's a perfectly valid opinion... or at least, it would be if you were doing anything.  But no, first it's "Well, I'll scumhunt later."  Then it's "Well, I'm not scumhunting because we need to figure out voting."  Then it's "I'm being useless because other people are being useful for me."

This is ridiculous, young man.  Absolutely ridiculous.

I was testing out the voting system, but you ridiculed me for that, too. So obviously no matter what I do, I must be a "scumbucket".

Interesting... I wonder what triggers rule 4, precisely...

MORE PASSIVE USELESSNESS.  Way to active-lurk to go with your passive-lurkery.

Yes, it was useless - just thinking aloud. Sorry, I guess I'm not allowed to.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that I have a power. I don't know how this round works - maybe everybody has a power. If that is the case, then it doesn't really matter; otherwise, I'd rather at least not let you all lynch me. I figure it's better to be night-killed than be lynched.

Unless the scum got royally shafted, I imagine that they have nightkills or something equally useful.  Thanks for nothing, scumbucket.  Glad to hear about it.
[/quote]

Not sure what this means, either, so no comment.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be replaced here soon. Obviously my playing style is not "appropriate" here, and due to time constraints anyway I can't dedicate much to this round.

Farewell.

"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser the Third. Don't hesitate to call."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm... both my things went where they were "supposed" to, I think.  That's odd... wanted them to land on Alsark >_>

As far as I can tell your vote did. The vote that went on Zai is most likely Nirur Torir's vote on vector rather than your vote for Zia.

Not sure about the FoS, there seem to have been a couple of times that applied directly to the target and wasn't shifted. It's possible one of the other rules has effected that of course, we already know at least rule 5 has toggled then toggled back between updates.

Interesting that glyph's no lynch applied directly.

Zai why are you lurking, I think voting for you (which under the current rules should be Alsark) is the best option here as the other major lurker, Alsark is asking for a replacement.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alsark, you've broken. As far as I can tell, that's a big part of the point in constantly telling somebody they're scum. Now, of course, the problem is deciding if you've broken in a townie way, or a scummy way.

I don't know. Vector, you were present in BM8. I'd like reasoning on why that is a scummy way of breaking, or a townie way of breaking, please.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unvote because now I know no lynching works...

hmm...

No-lynch

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Once again, everything goes dark with a click, and a deep rumbling noise interrupts your discussion.

The Hour of Judgement has arrived again, and you have once again chosen one to be judged!

Again, glowing strands of magma leap into the air and form glowing words above you:

Alsark [2,1]
Apostolic Nihilist [0,3]
LASD [0,2]
Nirur Torir [0,1]
Redwarrior0 [0,3]
Shades [0,1]
Toonyman [1,0]
Vector [0,1]
Zai [1,1]

With all rules active save Rule 5, you have chosen Alsark! Alsark, are you ready?

Quietly, Alsark steps forward toward the chasm you know rends the ground
"Yes, I am ready. Farewell"
There is no scream, no sound of a body falling, no hint that Alsark is no longer among you. But each of you know that Alsark has gone.

As before, we can reveal with his death that he was Lain Iwakura. Whether that is a good thing, or not, obviously depends on which side you are on. We think, though, that the majority of you will.. not be pleased.

But now, night has fallen. Go, to your houses, where you may decide what to do this night.

With that, you see the lights in ten of the houses come on, and you all depart to your various nightly tasks.

=============
Alsark was Lain Iwakura, innocent and fictional character.

It is now Night Two. Night roles have 24 hours from this post to send me their actions.
Thread Locked.

Edited for grammar.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:11:39 am by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (The Dawn of Day 3, 72 hours remain)
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2010, 11:10:45 am »

The morning blooms three shades of pink and teal, the sudden onset of light waking you all from your slumber. Once again, each of you makes your way out to the central area to begin the day's discussions.

Looking around, you see that ten of you remain, the dark claws of night claiming none of you. Somewhat emboldened by this, you wait expectantly for a sign that the day might begin officially. You do not have to wait long before the now-familiar booming voice echos through your ears.

I hope you all slept well? Nevermind, we can see that you did, for any sleep from which you wake is a good sleep indeed, is it not?

As yesterday, the day shall begin with only Rules four and five inactive, the voting slate cleared, and seventy two hours for you to reach your decision about who next shall leave you. Begin!

That's probably the most official thing you'll get. The day has started.
Try my orc mod!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2010, 11:26:29 am »

Okay I'm going to claim here, I'm an artist, Rene Magritte, and my night action is to paint any two of you and see if either of them is scum. I don't get told which one is though. However this means I can confirm town if I get told neither are.

Night one I attempted to draw Toonyman and Gryphglyph mostly because I assumed one of these was scum and I was pretty sure I'd not get who I targeted.
In the result I drew Vector, Halmie, and LASD none of which came up scum.

Spoiler: Night one player list (click to show/hide)

Based on the player list and the fact votes seem to work as they do for night two I picked Vector and Neruz expecting to get Nirur Torir, Redwarrior0 and Zai.
In the result I drew Nirur Torir, Toonyman and Zai again told none where scum.

Spoiler: Night two player list (click to show/hide)

As I know I am town this leaves only Apostolic Nihilist, GlyphGryph and Redwarrior0 of who at least two are likely to be scum and possible all three, depending how many there are in the game.
I'm posting this now because I believe it should be obvious I'm town, why else would I post how votes (kinda) work, and so have no reason to lie, and I have no wish to die without sharing a list of six confirmed town.

I am of course assuming that my results are accurate which might be a little optimistic due to the semi-bastard modness of it but I can only work with information I have.

So to get things rolling I'm going to vote Zai and FoS Apostolic Nihilist to target the first two of my almost certainly scum list.

I'll also request a vote count
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2010, 12:50:04 pm »

I am an Artist as well, Salvador Dali to be exact.

I can follow people.

Night 1 I was role-blocked.
Night 2 I followed GlyphGrpyh to RedWarrior's house.

Nobody died last night so that means GlyphGrpyh didn't kill last night.

Vote the person that would vote Apostolic.  You're the scum if I see correctly.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:22 pm »

I'm a Mathematician, by the name of Paul Erdos.

I can write a mathematical paper with someone every night, which roleblocks non-mathematicians.

Night 1 I targeted Shades and ended up on Toony's house, blocking him.
Night 2 I targeted Vector and found myself at Zai's, who seemed to know mathematics.

On both occasion, the result was a delightfully progressive mathematical paper.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2010, 05:07:28 pm »

I'll claim now and deal with this madness once I have time.

I'm Paul Dirac, a mathematician. Each night I may entangle two people, so that whatever happens to Person A also happens to person B.

N1 I tried to entangle GlyphGryph and Halmie, but instead entangled Halmie and LASD.
N2 I tried to entangle Vector and Shades but instead entangled Zai and ToonyMan.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 38