Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carnivorous Deer?  (Read 1053 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Carnivorous Deer?
« on: December 16, 2009, 12:04:06 am »

Why is my Animal Trainer feeding my cage-trapped Deer with Turtles in order to tame them? Are my Deer carnivorous?... or maybe my Turtles are actually a type of plant? I'm confused...

Never pet a burning dog.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carnivorous Deer?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:40:44 am »

Turtles tend to grow a layer of algae all over themselves; a treat for deer. The deer likely mistakes the entire turtle for a large ball of algae and eats it all in a one big nom. This means turtles are both a plant and a meat.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:58:05 am »

Deers are secretly the ones that run the dwarven world.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 01:01:38 am »

Deers are secretly the ones that run the dwarven world.

They don't take any crap from anyone, either.

Never pet a burning dog.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:03:11 am »

Animal trainers do that. I've seen them tame elk with pieces of meat.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 04:32:10 am »

Why is my Animal Trainer feeding my cage-trapped Deer with Turtles in order to tame them? Are my Deer carnivorous?... or maybe my Turtles are actually a type of plant? I'm confused...
You misunderstood. Everyone misunderstood. Your animal trainer ate the turtle himself, in front of the deer, explaining that if the deer doesn't cooperate, he will suffer the same fate.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:12:18 am »

You misunderstood. Everyone misunderstood. Your animal trainer ate the turtle himself, in front of the deer, explaining that if the deer doesn't cooperate, he will suffer the same fate.
THIS
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:25:40 am »

Geez man, even deer know meat is better. They just can't normally kill it on their own!

In reality, it's just due to the fact that the current taming system is unrefined, and is just a placeholder until it is fixed. It's better to set everything to be tamed with meat by default than to wait to implement taming until the food preferences and predator/prey relationships are completed, right? Toady just gave us something that works until he can get to the details. You'll also notice dwarves not needing nutritious diet, predator+prey chillin in the fields together, and many other things that Toady has said he will fix at some point.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »

Not a fake image...
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:38:13 pm »

Actually, anything can be tamed with any food, it's not meat specifically. I believe that even [BONECARN] predators will accept a plump helmet to tame them.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 03:47:49 pm »

Quote from: Lav on Today at 04:32:10 AM
Quote from: blue emu on Today at 12:04:06 AM
You misunderstood. Everyone misunderstood. Your animal trainer ate the turtle himself, in front of the deer, explaining that if the deer doesn't cooperate, he will suffer the same fate./quote]

Sigged this

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 04:00:56 pm »

That first quote was from me, not Lav.
Never pet a burning dog.