Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Difference between war and ----?  (Read 584 times)

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Difference between war and ----?
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »

Genned a new world, look at the civilization lists to make sure that I had everything
But next to the goblins it says War in red.  I thought it only had the ------- next to them if you are at war with them, what's the difference?
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between war and ----?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:45 pm »

From what I've heard:

The ----- is a Toady Hack, i.e. a necessary placeholder put in the game until he can implement something better. In this case, it appears to force babysnatching civilizations (like goblins) to attack you in Fortress mode, regardless of whether that civ is actually at war with you; this makes the game more interesting by ensuring you have a foe while we're waiting for diplomacy to be implemented.

As to whether it has any differences from the normal "WAR" status, I haven't noticed any.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:33:52 pm »

Yeah, I think it's used to implicitly indicate conflict with that civilization, even if there isn't a formal war declared. In the case of goblins they'll snatch children and try to conquer you because they feel like it, wars are usually over some particular dispute.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:59:17 pm »

Yeah, I think it's used to implicitly indicate conflict with that civilization, even if there isn't a formal war declared. In the case of goblins they'll snatch children and try to conquer you because they feel like it, wars are usually over some particular dispute.

WAR is relatively rare, I have only seen it once, I was at WAR with the elves and ----- with the goblins. First few attempts in that world crumbled in the first year or two due to springtime ambushes by bowelfs.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.