Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So the New version is coming out, and all the mods are...  (Read 4442 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
So the New version is coming out, and all the mods are...
« on: December 15, 2009, 07:36:43 pm »

..going to no longer be usable :P

Sooooo How many mod makers out there are already anticipating rebuilding your mods form scratch?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: So the New version is coming out, and all the mods are...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:16:44 pm »

I plan to fill the vacuum of mods by creating an entirely new total conversion mod.

I might update some of my original creatures for personal use, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:31:42 pm »

I am eagerly awaiting taking my massive modded version and retreating into seclusion for several weeks to rebuild it. I mean, currently my version has been compiled from other mods or has been my own work, wether it is truly original or someone else's ideas, so I have a lot of stuff. I mean, I have over 30 civilizations, most with completely original items as well as hundreds of new creatures, so it is gonna take some serious work to update it. All the same, I definitely think that the updates promised with the new version are definitely worth it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:22:20 pm »

I intend upon doing what I did before.  Raise a species to sentience, and use them to test the new system's furthest edges.  Before, as an experiment regarding abnormal body shapes, water, et cetera, it was merpeople.  This time I've decided it'll be fairies... of the nasty sort.  If all goes according to plan, they'll have castes other than male/female, as alien a mindset as I can manage (I'll know I've succeeded if they make goblins look sympathetic), as bizarre a biology as I can fit within a human-with-wing frame (which I may abandon for some castes), at least one magic type workshop, and any other fun stuff I find I can hit with a hammer.  Hilarity and crashing will ensue.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:40:19 pm »

When that new version comes out, goodness knows I'll be too stuck playing it to make me a new mod for it. BUT, I'll eventually get 'round to it! ^^
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 04:11:57 am »

All of my mod work is contained in spreadsheet format which auto-outputs to both the current, and the sample future RAWs format(except part of creature format). I'm sure the release will have different RAWs than the samples, but formatwise that requires very little change to my spreadsheet. The only difficulty i forsee is setting up all the animals hair and such.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:43:59 am »

I will for sure make Fallout Mod in the new format. New custom workshops and castes are going to fill the gapes we have for now which stop real guncrafting and other futuristic professions.

Also I may look back at my old Middle Earth mod, and re-release not released yet Fall From Heaven mod.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 02:12:58 pm »

Hmm. Hopefully by the time I've finished mucking about with it unmodded, people will have already started work on changing things. Reworking the entire Call of Cthulhu mod will be difficult considering that every species has its own, unique layers of flesh, but at least most of them are hairless. I'm not looking forward to remodifying Shub-Niggurath because it took AGES, even when most of it was cmd-c, cmd-v, find "1", replace "2"/"3"/"4"/"5"/"6"/"7"/"8"...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:31:04 pm »

I intend to upgrade Modbase to handle the new version. After I do that, I can work on rebuilding the Martial Arts and Minerals mods. Modbase should fill in the gap that will remain until I get Fort Knox up.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:18:53 pm »

I will for sure make Fallout Mod in the new format. New custom workshops and castes are going to fill the gapes we have for now which stop real guncrafting and other futuristic professions.

Also I may look back at my old Middle Earth mod, and re-release not released yet Fall From Heaven mod.

Fall From Heaven? The civ 4 mod? My god that would be awesome!
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 10:06:20 am »

Even with the new underground features, I suspect that life in the new version would be entirely too tranquil without the orcs there.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 10:49:02 am »

I wonder how the graphics packs will fare? I want to be able to use Maydays graphics pack with the new version. Well, just the graphics part of it anyway since the rest would be incompatible.

I wonder how much change will be needed for the Dwarf Therapist utility? Although it will be in the same position as Dwarf Manager and it doesn't look like Dwarf Manager is bieng updated anymore.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:53:02 am by smjjames »

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:52:18 am »

I know RantingRodent has already prepared (and included in the download IIRC) dwarf graphics for the new healthcare profession(s?)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 11:16:45 am »

just like when I discovered the game. I will play the new version stock for a while, then tweak a bit and experiment.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 11:24:20 am »

I may have to rough it out without the graphics pack as well, heh.
Pages: [1] 2 3