Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot find bauxite  (Read 961 times)

Kaz3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cannot find bauxite
« on: December 15, 2009, 05:21:42 pm »

So earlier I found a magma tube along with a magma pool. I've yet to find a trader that sells bauxite so I'm looking for it myself. The wiki says that bauxite is usually found along magma tubes so I've been digging there. I've been digging along the magma tube all the way to the bottom I still can't find any bauxite.

Also, I can't make a stockpile for bauxite only, it's not in the list. Bauxite is green in the z-list if it matters.

thebmw94

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find bauxite
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 05:47:51 pm »

I hate to break this to you, but that wiki page is wrong.  Bauxite can only be found in sedimentary stone layers, which appear white on the embark screen.  If you have no sedimentary layers, you have no bauxite.  In addition, the mountainhome's stone inventory never changes, so if they have no bauxite now, they never will.

Your best hope would be to check in with the human civs, as they may have stone of their own, possibly bauxite.  Other than that, you're out of luck.

Also, on the off-chance that you do have sedimentary layers, bauxite appears in clusters and is very common.  Dig around a bit and you should find some.

Edit: I just remembered that there is a mod that sets the melting point of stones to realistic values.  It adds about five more magma-safe stones, with some of them being relatively common.  Here's a link to the thread about it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:54:57 pm by thebmw94 »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:49:08 pm »

So earlier I found a magma tube along with a magma pool. I've yet to find a trader that sells bauxite so I'm looking for it myself. The wiki says that bauxite is usually found along magma tubes so I've been digging there. I've been digging along the magma tube all the way to the bottom I still can't find any bauxite.

Also, I can't make a stockpile for bauxite only, it's not in the list. Bauxite is green in the z-list if it matters.

It's possible bauxite is not on your map at all. If you can't embark with it (or trade for it), your civilization simply doesn't have it. As for your own map... well, not all types of rock are everywhere, you know? Sorry, but you probably just don't have it (though you still might, ya never know). As for the stockpile, it's a stone stockpile you want to set - and then after you've place it, hit Q over it and edit the type of stones allowed into the pile and disable everything except bauxite.

In terms of needing bauxite, if you want, you can take an abundant rock type that you do have and go into the raws and give it a superhigh melting point so that you can use it in bauxite's stead. I don't know what the number is offhand, but the wiki should know - try the bauxite or mechanism pages (or maybe magma).

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:47 pm »

It doesn't say that (though the phrasing is somewhat unclear)

In fact, it is quite rare to have bauxite near magma. Magma occurs most frequently in igneous extrusive layers, while bauxite only occurs in sedimentary layers (wiki) as big clusters. Just look around your map if you have any of the stones that are listed as sedimentary. If you do, there is probably some bauxite as well. If not, you're out of luck and need to order some, assuming at least one trader has it.
The wiki article on exploratory mining may also help you.
This game doesn't just make some stones appear randomly all over your map. It does geology. Know the basics of how ingame-geology works and you'll know where to look for which stones.

[edith sayeth]:
You don't really need bauxite for most projects involving magma. Powered screw pumps can do almost anything, a floodgate could do. And pumps don't need to be magma-proof, as long as the magma is only pumped through and not on the same tile as the pump. You can use any stone and metal. Only wooden pumps will desintegrate after a few months or years of pumping magma...

As for the stockpiles: If it exists in the game, it exists for stockpiles (probably under economic stones, as you seem to use the mayday-pack). Just make a stone stockpile, disable everything and then slooowly read through the whole list. It's easy to overlook one item, especially in the stones list.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:59:24 pm by moki »
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:02:00 pm »

Just keep in mind that bauxite is by no means necessary for magma-based constructions. Pumps work just as well if you have a setup like this:

Lower level:
#~#
###
###
#+#

Upper level:
#.#
#=+
#=#
#.#

= Pump
. Channel
+ Floor
# Wall
~ Magma
For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:17:27 pm »

The only time you really need magma safe stone is if you are going to be controlling your magma via floodgates/bridges/doors and want them to work more than once.  You can make the bridge/door/gates out of more abundant magma-safe materials such as glass/iron/etc then all you need to use the bauxite for is the mechanism which is used in the submerged building.  As long as you insure that they don't get submerged in magma your pumps don't even have to be magma safe, just fire safe, and can be dorf operated which leaves you open to all kind of creative magma fun using only pumps to move it around.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 10:02:30 pm »

Usefull to know is that you can use pumps not only as pumps but also cheap magmasafe power conveyers. Also know that a pumps front tile counts as a wall, and will stop liquids. So, you can simply use pumps at the sides of whatever contraption your making, and put your mechanisms behind those walls.

The only problem is still linking bridges, floodgates, etc that are submerged in magma. Your going to need magma safe mechanisms for that.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:33 pm »

Bauxite is green in the stones menu, you said? IIRC DF automatically disables use of economic stones for common tasks if you don't have a layer that could contain those stones, i.e. limestone will be red if you don't have that layer. I think it's pretty likely you might have a sedimentary layer, just dig around there and you're bound to find bauxite eventually. It's very plentiful.

You might find this article useful: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Stone

EDIT: Oh, and you can do an audit to find out for sure. Basically, just dig stairs all the way to the bottom of the map near the map edges to see what the layers look like. I think clusters are usually towards the center of the map though, so if you're looking for bauxite you should probably dig a shaft there!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:29:31 pm by Amalgam »