Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Challenge: Pyramid of Power  (Read 9580 times)

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge: Pyramid of Power
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 01:57:15 am »

This is quite awesome... any other 3d fractals that we could build?

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 03:01:47 am »

Well, I've just drawn up the design for a basic 2D room set with this.

About the 3D though, yes, the literal Sierpinski Tetrahedron would only be a nice lawn ornament and therefore not very useful.  But it's inverse would be quite livable, if impractical.  Currently banging my head against that now...

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 02:07:06 pm »

This is quite awesome... any other 3d fractals that we could build?
A Menger sponge, perhaps?

Well, I've just drawn up the design for a basic 2D room set with this.

About the 3D though, yes, the literal Sierpinski Tetrahedron would only be a nice lawn ornament and therefore not very useful.  But it's inverse would be quite livable, if impractical.  Currently banging my head against that now...
I wasn't aware it was possible to have ramps arranged such that you create an upside-down pyramid.
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 02:15:54 pm »

Reading the Wikipedia article more closely, it isn't actually a tetrahedron, but a square pyramid (which is much easier to construct in Dwarf Fortress) - the term "Sierpinski Tetrahedron" came from another article which was referring to a version based on tetrahedrons (i.e. triangular pyramids) rather than square pyramids (whereas the originally mentioned "Sierpinski Sponge", also known as a "Menger Sponge", is cube-based).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:28:48 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 09:16:55 pm »

I half-made something resembling one of these, then I got frustrated and ragequit. I can still fish the save outta my recycle bin, though. SOmeone else'll need to visualise it, though. VF don't work for me.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 12:14:42 am »

Share it.  Share it.  I make lots of pictures for to see.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 01:47:01 am »

I'm still going to do the original challenge when I get to it... It probably won't be big enough to hold an entire fort BUT I'LL BE DAMNED IF I'M GOING TO LET THAT STOP ME >:(

Fuel's still a problem.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 06:55:35 am »

My recycle bin shat itself, sorry.

I can't recover it.

It was made of rough-non-blocked marble, and it was only half-done.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 12:25:53 pm »

I wasn't planning on actually TRYING this...but on the other hand, it might be worth it to get hailed as legend.  So we'll see. 

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 11:13:59 pm »

I think I've got something good planned, but it'll take a while. I'll post when it's done, hopefully it'll be pretty cool.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 11:56:01 pm »

Okay, does this math look sound?

m=9, n=1

sides of bottom pyramids: 2m+1 = 19x19
spaced: 2n+1 = 3
   total base: 41x41

sides of upper pyramid: 2(m+n)+1 = 21x21

height: 2(m-1)+n = 17

If I do this right I should have four magma cannons horizontally jutting out from the top pyramid (which of course will be made from clear or crystal glass), simultaneously spewing out magma. Not sure what the bottom pyramids should be made of yet (maybe make those out of glass too?), and I have no idea how long this is going to take.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 04:45:27 am »

BLARGH. I've abandoned again and chose another site this time, it's an on island with no enemy civs; only the dwarves come and my civ has access to both rock crystal for crystal glass and bauxite for working with magma. I embarked with 75 stones of bauxite because I didn't want to run out. Anyway, there's no invaders or hostile wildlife since I'm in a serene biome (magma denizens being the sole exception, last site had two terrifying biomes) so I can hopefully finish this in peace. I've got quite a lot of space to work with and the magma vent is rather conveniently placed close to the ocean. The only bad thing about this site is the aquifer which will no doubt prove to be a nuisance since my plan requires me to go fairly deep underground.

EDIT: Oh, I've also had to downsize the pyramid from what I was planning in the previous site, this map only has 15 workable z-levels from ground-zero. Oh well, it should be enough.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 04:49:09 am by Amalgam »

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 09:56:59 am »

Currently starting on a 32 zlevel fractal tower.  We'll see how it turns out.  The lower levels are being dug right now.  And I just lost some work due to a crash...

Sasasing

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad German flamethrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 02:06:17 pm »

Be sure to finish them with an electrum block...
Someone got lost around here D:

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 03:20:50 pm »

Ok, the design here is fairly simple, and not quite as tedious as I'd first expected.
my basic unit looks like this
  /X\
/XXX\
from the side, and is basically a 1 by 1 wall surrounded by ramps sitting on a 3*3 wall surrounded by ramps.  It's easy to dig and fairly easy to build, since you can build the framework of ramps first and then the walls in between.  these form the smallest unit in the serpinski fractal, and I have a 16*16 square array of them on the lowest level.  How it looks will depend on how the ramps turn out, and I may have to go back and trim them away at the end of it all, but for now I need them just to get around on my construction. 
each unit is spaced one tile apart, so the ramps in between are probably not going to work out right...eg it looks like this from the top on the levels where lots of units are right next to each other
RRRRRRRRRR
RXXXRXXXR
RXXXRXXXR
RXXXRXXXR
RRRRRRRRRR
Pages: 1 [2] 3