Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Challenge: Pyramid of Power  (Read 9579 times)

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
Challenge: Pyramid of Power
« on: December 15, 2009, 04:51:24 pm »

Gentlemen...

I love pyramids.

As such, I have an arcology megaconstruction challenge for you. I call it the Pyramid of Power.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The sides of the bottom four pyramids are 2m+1 tiles long. They are spaced 2n+1 tiles apart, and the sides of the upper pyramid are 2(m+n)+1 tiles long. The total height is 2(m-1)+n Z-units. (The diagram above shows the result for m=4, n=0.)

My challenge to you is to build this as a self-contained fortress to house your dwarves. I suggest that you keep n as small as possible, but m may be as large as your embark permits. You might wish to set n=1 and build a small access tube enabling your dwarves to make their way from the upper pyramid to a series of underground farms.

If you create extra Z-levels by digging downwards, leave ramps on all sides and flood your embark to create an artificial lake. Magma, aside from the possibility of building the pyramid from obsidian, should be used offensively (i.e. a magma cannon from the upper pyramid) or not at all.

Now go forth and build, my friends. I would like to see screenshots of your work, both in progress and completed.
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge: Pyramid of Power
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:13:08 pm »

eh, divide each smaller pyramid in the same way the larger is divided, making a serpinski sponge!

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:17:54 pm »

been getting pretty bored since nothing bad happens to my fortresses. (fraking good management skills)

SIR I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:21:41 pm »

eh, divide each smaller pyramid in the same way the larger is divided, making a serpinski sponge!

Absolutely! Go as many levels of pyramids deep as your heart desires! (As long as it's still habitable and not just a really fancy garden ornament.)
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:32:33 pm »

By self-contained, do you mean no trading or migrants?  Or just that everything except the underground farms must be within the pyramids?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:44:06 pm »

Good question! I was originally intending for there to be no trading or migrants such that nobody ever came in or out, hence the artificial lake. On thinking about it, though, it's more fun if you allow migrants and trading. If you go with the artificial lake, make the trading post a tiny building on the bank with an underground tunnel going into the fortress, to avoid disturbing the lake's shape. Be ruthless in your population control!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:53:49 pm by Thomas Winwood »

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:33:28 pm »

Pff.

Everyone knows newbs can't triforce.

(This is really really cool though. I think I'm gonna give this one a try in my Orc-mod desert.)
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:26:46 pm »

SenorOcho cancels Soap Fortress: Taken by mood.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 09:18:01 pm »

I might just try this myself! I'm already building a green glass (green glass is sooooo cool) tower in a yellow sand desert so this will be right at home. I'll probably make each of the four bottom ones out of gold (it should be on this map somewhere), silver (I've got galena), crystal glass (no shortage of sand) and steel (plenty of flux and iron), and maybe make the top one out of crystal glass. I've got no idea what to put in them but I could probably make tombs... Unfortunately the sum of trees in the area amounts to zip so I have to buy all the wood and charcoal off the caravans, and make coke from the coal veins nearby. I've got water too, 4x5 site. THE TOWER COMES FIRST THOUGH.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:15:04 pm »

And by "serpinski sponge", you mean "Sierpinski Tetrahedron". Which would, of course, be Awesome, but would require lots and lots of Z-levels.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:17:03 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:15 pm »

And by "serpinski sponge", you mean "Sierpinski Tetrahedron". Which would, of course, be Awesome, but would require lots and lots of Z-levels.

Oh Armok, I just looked at that thing. That is one awesome piece of fractal, and if Atomfullerene can pull it off, I will hail him or her as a legend!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 12:14:58 am »

Made literally, a Sierpinski Tetrahedron would be very beautiful, but worthless as a dwelling place for Dwarves.  :D  I will attempt to complete the original challenge.  I started on a site with 149 z-levels aboveground, but the only running water was an underground river that had three z-levels of its own before dropping into its pit, and it was hitting my FPS much too hard even with just 7 Dwarves.  I could have trimmed it out but then I would have had only muddy ponds.  I then restarted on a site with many fewer z-levels but with a brook.  I am afraid I will not have enough room to finish the upper pyramid on this site, but at least I can practice the laying out the basic functions while I continue to look for a better site.  :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 12:18:16 am »

Hmm. The optimal way to do a fractal tetrahedron would be to embark on the steepest area that can be found, count the number of levels on the map (excluding the highest), mine out the entire map to the bottom level and make it that high, and that wide. 100 z-levels is probably the highest anyone's going to get, and if the pyramid's going to be equal in all dimensions it won't really require a lot of ground space. The resolution won't be very high even on a ridiculously steep map so there's definitely limitations here. I wouldn't be able to do a full-blown fractal tetrahedron on my map because of the brook, but I'll certainly make something like in the OP.

EDIT: Scratch the z-levels comment, just read slink's post.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:44:45 am »

The picture of the Major was a nice touch.

I don't think I could build something like this, but I'd absolutely love to see the screenshots.

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 11:34:40 pm »

Good news, everyone!

I've realised I was being misled by my own isometric diagram with regard to the size of the pyramids! See, I had assumed you couldn't have the slopes of the two pyramids existing on the same tile at ground level, because on my diagram that makes the two pyramids overlap. However, in Dwarf Fortress nothing is stopping you using the same row of upramps at ground level as the sides of two adjacent pyramids. Thus you can have all five pyramids the same size with no gap between them to create a true Sierpinski's tetrahedron!

It also occurred to me that if you use a pyramid with an even number of tiles on a side you can create a pointed top (rather than having one tile of flat surface) by building upramps all the way to the top.
Pages: [1] 2 3