Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starting up a newbie community succession game forum thread post  (Read 4058 times)

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting up a newbie community succession game forum thread post
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:44:02 pm »

tee hee. Ahem!

I've watched a lot of community/succession games and was interested in starting or joining one myself. I suspect there are a lot of lurkers like me - people that know the game and have read bits and pieces but haven't done much playing in succession games. I thought I'd gauge interest in a newbie-friendly succession game to give folks a no-pressure opportunity to try to help running a fort.

If you'd be interested, toss off a post talking about what kind of scenario you'd enjoy - e.g. "desert map," "must have water source + magma," "would prefer Terrifying or Haunted," "must have HFS," etc, along with the sort of dwarf you'd like to adopt. (In keeping with my role as Fortress Scribe I'll probably adopt the broker/manager/treasurer.) Once we have, say, five people interested we'll start 'er up.

Thoughts? Personally I'd prefer magma pipe + either normal or underground river, to permit various megaprojects. Evil surroundings would be a plus.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
Re: Starting up a newbie community succession game forum thread post
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:13:54 pm »

I've always wanted to do a Succession fort, except I know I'd probably do it all wrong, so I figured I wouldn't join. If it was a newbie one, I'd be game. Though it depended on how long the turns were.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:43:27 pm »

I'm game as well.

Magma, river, and chasm/pit is all I really want.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:40:01 pm »

I'm game, just make sure there is a river and magma.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:53:56 pm »

Im game.

Magma pipe and either an underground river or normal river.

Also if possible a pool of water (only if no underground river)

And please please please have atleast SOME sand on the map.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Starshell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 01:39:20 pm »

Hey, sounds neat. I'd be in. I'd really like somewhere with interesting terrain - like, a Canyon or a Volcano or something. Other than that, Magma, river (Preferably underground), and at least a little wood and I'm good.

EDIT: Almost forgot, No aquifer please. Those things are PAINFUL.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:41:53 pm by Starshell »

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:22:40 pm »

Excellent. I'll give folks another day to express interest and then start us off. I'll grab the first year and cover for a year if we temporarily don't have anyone interested. If you posted above and care what kind of dwarf you start as, let me know. As above, I'll grab a Clerk.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 03:57:20 pm »

The map needs HFS, no exceptions.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 06:01:39 pm »

I'd like to be a miner please.
EDIT: Name my character Andrew Riley, and make it a male.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:55:45 pm by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 08:49:40 pm »

Just a question, how long we got for turns? If its one day, I might not be able to, my computer's horribly slow. If its more, I probably can.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:35:11 pm »

All I ask for is a named immigrant. Nothing more. Male please, any profession, named Xanthius.

For the site I have three choices.

1. Mountains w/ HFS, Magma Pipe, Chasm, and a brook.
2. An elven retreat by a river. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? (DROWN THEM!)
3. Terrifying, Scorching Mountains w/ HFS, Magma Pipe, Magma Pool, Chasm, Bottomless Pit, and no brook. And all civs.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 09:55:13 pm »

Ill be away for 3 or 4 days, so take as long as you need before you get to me ^^
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 09:59:59 pm »

Could we go by in game times (like a year or two in game)? I'm only asking because sometimes DF will run at 100fps, and other times for no reason it will decide to run at 10fps. I figured if we did it by in game time it would be better, because then people wouldn't think it was unfair that they could only play a year in game when somebody else played many more because they could run it at a higher fps.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 10:04:30 pm »

We'll do an ingame year per person, pretty much the standard. As far as scheduling, I'm thinking somewhere on the order of "up to a day to acknowledge it's your turn, up to four days to complete your ingame year."

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:17:32 pm »

Well, im definently game then. I'll take my turn whenever, cause I have winter break soon. Are we going to be doing a journal/diary type thing for the chars? I was thinking at least maybe a .txt along with the save file that tells you whats going on in the fortress.
Pages: [1] 2 3