Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF + Cheat Engine = Holy Wagons Batman!  (Read 7274 times)

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF + Cheat Engine = Holy Wagons Batman!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 03:38:18 pm »

Well, I restarted the game as killing all those animals did nothing to help the FPS.  Boo!

I added in a reaction to get 25 granite from one granite along with being able to turn granite into any color marble (so I have all color stone available) x25 and turning a crucible steel bar into 25 more. 

This new embark only required two wagons, as I only brought a maximum of 200 of each item (stone, steel, leather, food, etc).  100FPS yay!

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 03:56:04 pm »

that actually pretty much proves that massive amounts of stone cause massive FPS drop. Good work there.

dephelis

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear It
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 08:15:33 am »

While I strongly agree that writing reactions is many times easier, it has the nasty side-effect of forcing you to regen the world and making DF incompatible with all other saves.  THAT is the particular reason to use an editor like Cheat Engine or something else (many come to mind).

Only if you add an entirely new reaction. You could of course just change an existing reaction which would just require deleting the corresponding file in 'data/objects' so that DF can recompile it when next run. Bye bye world regeneration requirement and save incompatibility.  ;)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 05:00:41 pm »

While I strongly agree that writing reactions is many times easier, it has the nasty side-effect of forcing you to regen the world and making DF incompatible with all other saves.  THAT is the particular reason to use an editor like Cheat Engine or something else (many come to mind).

Only if you add an entirely new reaction. You could of course just change an existing reaction which would just require deleting the corresponding file in 'data/objects' so that DF can recompile it when next run. Bye bye world regeneration requirement and save incompatibility.  ;)
Next time I regen I should make a bunch of false reactions so I may use them in other things later.
is it possible to comment things out in the raws? if so, would commenting out reactions which are not in use allow the trick to work?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 05:47:06 pm »

that actually pretty much proves that massive amounts of stone cause massive FPS drop. Good work there.

Now try it again but figure out a way to drop all the stone into a chasm (try to see if you can get the wagons to start over the top of a chasm) and see if deleting all that stone improves the frame rate.  Also will building with the stone so it all becomes walls and floors do anything to improve the FrameRate of dose the game still keep all of it in memory and consuming cycles?
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:16:44 pm »

I am not sure if deleting of the stone would bring FPS to normal.
DF handles "deleting" in a strange way. I.e., babysnatched babies are still there, they're just "frozen" and invisible, and most things are just partially deleted. Also there could be some memory leaks Toady didn't think about when it comes to 100k+ stone.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2]