Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Attack Ruined Fort  (Read 4975 times)

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Attack Ruined Fort
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:23:23 pm »

This was my second fort, everything was going great until the first goblin ambush came on to my people. They corned some of my dwarfs and i sent my military over, the goblins killed half my military, then after i finally got them, some of my dwarfs started to throw tantrums and go mad. After 5 minutes, all of my dwarfs went mad and berserk. Why?

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Attack Ruined Fort
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:26:40 pm »

Emotional tantrums from losing loved ones.  Either they go ballistic and blame someone or they go melancholy and just don't do anything anymore.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 10:33:05 pm »

That makes a lot of sense since the game announced early on that someone got married...

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:02:48 pm »

Military dwarves are especially bad.  When they aren't training all they have to do is hang around the meeting hall chatting with their squad, becoming best buddies.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:54 pm »

You've fallen victim to what's known as a tantrum spiral. The causes of such an event are many and varied, but goblin attacks on unprepared forts are often a culprit. The wiki page on tantrums has some information on how they often go.

Preventing tantrum spirals can be difficult, but largely involves making all of your dwarves as happy as possible. A large and very high-quality public dining hall is an excellent first step, while having many and varied drinks, food (especially prepared food), decent and private bedrooms for all of your dwarves, high-value items in well-travelled public areas where they can be admired, and, if you're really ambitious, indoor waterfalls can all help.

Also, keeping your dwarves employed as much as possible is also extremely helpful, as dwarves who are working don't make friends. Friendships are the primary cause of tantrum spirals, as the loss of a friend (or worse, a family member) causes an intense unhappy thought, which increases the danger of a given dwarf tantrumming. Pets also are a cause, for similar reasons, so in general you're best off making sure as many of your dwarves are friendless and alone as possible.

Dwarven psychology is terriblehilarious, isn't it?  ;D
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 11:12:45 pm »

*sigh*

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:54:27 am »

Read up on the wiki on where you went wrong, then reclaim.

And start the cycle alllll over again.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:52 am »

To prevent goblins from taking over, I recommend having a single entrance filled with 5 or 6 rows of rock-fall traps. It's a simple and effective defense that's perfect for novices. Do this at least until your military is well skilled and properly equipped, and then you can scale back the traps. I like having at least a double row of traps to alert me of ambushes and weed out attacks that aren't worth my attention.

Also try to reduce your risk by not giving a reason for your dwarves to be outside in danger. I like to start with 100 logs and trade for wood until my towercap farm is up and running. It's as cheap as an axe, and frees up skill points that can be invested elsewhere. If you want your dwarves to hang out outside to prevent cave adaption, wall out an outside area only accessible from inside your fort and make a statue garden (I prefer to turn off cave adaption).

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 06:08:11 am »

My first forts all died that way - an Ambush comes out of hiding next to the main staircase while your woefully small military is either drinking or sleeping.

Tipps to prevent this:
a) You want a safe outside area around your fort entrance. Early on, preferably in the first year, try to make it so anything approaching your fort will have to go through some chokepoints.

b) When you get immigrants, turn one into a Mechanic and one into a Mason, unless you have these already.

c) I've had fewer random deaths since I build walls around a large "courtyard" area, so you can have outdoors farm plots, a fishing area, refuse pile for anything except bone&shell&skull ... surrounded by walls. I usually build 2 or 4 gates.

d) Surround the walls with channels, so that "building destroyers" cannot reach them. Build bridges over channels and add levers so you can open and close each gates, making your fort pretty much impenetrable to ground units.

e) Build another wall in front of the gate, to prevent marksgoblins who approach the gate from shooting into the fort. Just maike sure the paths are all 3 tiles wide.

f) Fill the approach to each gate with traps. I usually have an area covered in weapons traps with 2 wooden or glass spiked balls each, and a few cage traps further out.

g) Add more traps near the walls. When invaders come from the South, just lock all gates keeping the North Gate open, and they'll path through the majority of your traps.

... unless you modded the game, with this approach you hardly need a military except to dispose of the occasional Kobold. I built the above, and have 75 military and a full guard ... the fort is now in its eighth year and has not had a siege yet, only two ambushes :/

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 09:06:11 am »

You would be amazed how far some leather armor and a little wrestling practice would do. I like to bring one decent leather worker as an off skill for the grower, but armor from an unskilled leather worker is better than you think. Give 2-8 dwarfs just a season or two of sparing time, maybe a wardog or two, and you would be surprised what they do to invaders. I had one wrestler wearing leather and some iron chain turn back an entire invasion all by himself more than once.

Also, I once had a fort that was defended entirely by a herd of regular dogs and puppies. They would wait at a statue garden at my downstairs entrance to the fort. Goblins would fire a few bolts into the crowd, we would lose a few dogs, then all the goblins would disappear under a pile of dogs  ;D

Don't forget, if you don't want a military disaster to lead to an entire fort loss do like the other guys said and build some traps. Regular stonefall traps built on low quality mechanisms work just fine. I always like to have a drawbridge on a leaver to seal everyone in too.

As always, don't give up. Losing is fun. Especially to tantrum spirals  :D
Hell, I just had a mining accident kill a dwarf, the miner tantrumed, savagely beat the jeweler with his pick and set off a tantrum spiral of his own. No invaders necessary. Now THAT was fun.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 12:14:52 pm »

I personally can't wait for a deeper psychology system than just madness. Sure, if you lose loved ones, especially in horrible ways, you should have to go through a period of grief and/or trauma. But "going insane" shouldn't happen nearly as often as it does in DF.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 12:16:45 pm »

Draft a few dwarves from the first immigration wave. Designate a barracks from a bed. Set them to off duty, assign them at least leather armor (if you have metalworks up, try to make them chain or even better plate) and a shield and let them wrestle for a few seasons. That will get them legendary wrestling, at least adept shield and armor user, and some major stats. Now, go on the wiki under "Wrestler", find a method you like for getting them to drop any non-gauntlet armor from their hands, and then assign them silver or wooden weapons. Let them spar with those.

I've seen a single maxed legendary (legendary wrestler, shield user, armor user, weapon user, superdwarvenly tough/agile/strong) dwarf in steel chainmail take on an entire orc squad solo. You'd be shocked how powerful a multi-legendary champion can be, they can solo megabeasts without really trying.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 08:00:15 pm »

What is the difference with the 2 bridges?

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 08:09:52 pm »

I make it a personal practice to never, ever let that Idle counter hit 0.  I even go as far as creating pump rooms (a.k.a. gymnasiums equipped with exercise bikes) so that if I can't find something for an idler to do, they can work themselves ragged on a pump.  It's so effective the nobles in my current fort rarely ever throw parties (I honestly don't know how I pulled that off... maybe it's the lack of available attendees?)
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 08:36:12 pm »

Nice work Kenbo
Pages: [1] 2