Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creation of the world.  (Read 717 times)

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creation of the world.
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:18:19 pm »

This is just a quick story I wrote in all of ten or so minutes. No real spelling checks or grammar, not really anything. So take it for what you will! Thanks!

- Kayla

---------------------------------------------------------

Long long ago, there existed many independant spirits, each who loved to trick each other. For many years, within their realm, each would plan and pull off elaborate hoaxes and tricks, to annoy the others and make itself feel better. However, for the most part, the spirits were jovial.

Over many many years, more than can be relatable through any form of media, the spirits existed and tricked each other. But as any form of life, physical or otherwise, they became rather bored with doing the same things over and over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the depression sat in, the spirits realized they had nothing besides themselves. A black void of nothingness, they did live in. The most observant of them, said

'Hear me friends,' (as he did for the first time) 'I have an idea! Why don't we create a exist in?'  The spirits scoffed and went their ways, except for just one and his kin. They thought it was a good idea, and so created the ground and rock. Infinite spans of mountains and hills everywhere.

The orchestrator, as he was known then, said 'Look at the wonders that our friends have created? Do you still wish to not help?' Soon, the spirits of air, water, fire, light worked their magic onto the desolate rock plains. The spirits of plants, and animals joined in shortly afterwords.

However, with each passing creation, the orchestrator became more and more jealous of the other spirits. Unlike them, he could not create, and so was forced to watch his friends become immersed while creating their respective items.

He noted, that, while the other spirits could create; their creations were rather mindless. The animals moved around thoughtlessly, and the plants could not even do that much. However, they were alive, which is more than the rest of the things the spirits had created. With this such knowledge in mind, the orchestrator devised a cunning scheme, one last trick of all.

'Hear me friends,' (as he did for the second time) 'I have another grand idea!' The spirits surrounded the orchestrator, as he had orchestrated the beauty of this place. They listened intently as he continued. 'You all have helped to create this wonderful world! So with my powers, I shall allow you, in the order you created, to inhabit your creations!'

A roar of cheering and laughter came from this. The spirits all flew around as happily as can be. Again, the orchestrator continued. 'However, there are a few conditions.' The spirits calmed down to listen for a little more. 'First, when you are inside your creations, you will lose your memories of being a spirit.' They all cheered, for this meant that they could forget the awful boredome of being a spirit. 'The second is, once your vessal dies, you must move to another one immediately, without coming back here'

Another roar erupted and they flew off to the planet to inhabit their creations. The orchestrator said the third condition very softly, so that no one knew. 'The third condition is, every time one of your vassals kills another, I gain power from it'.

Only one other spirit besides the orchestrator stayed behind, a simple spirit of light who after having been tricked for many many years, did not trust the orchestrator.

First, the spirits of rock, as they are known now, inhabited the rocks. From them, the stone golems appeared. They were greyish in color at birth; upon eating their desired food, the stone around them, they shifted colors to that of the stones they ate most. They were little more than animated rocks.

Then the elementals, air, water, fire. Much like the stone golems, they were little more than the elements that composed them and were content to just be.

The spirits of plants inhabited the trees, and from those sprung the ents. Sentient trees that tended to their own. Finally, the spirits of the animals, inhabited their animals, content to not change any about them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly after all the spirits had inhabited their vessals and forgotten all about being spirits, and their previous deal; The orchestrator came down from the vast space onto their place. 'Gather round, my creations. I am Armok, god of blood and I have gone through the trouble of creating each and every one of you in the image of myself' he bluffing lied. 'So to thank me for your existance, all you must do is destroy each other off.'

As quickly as Armok had came, he vanished. Leaving the creatures to boil hate for each other. Wars broke out, and blood spilled, as Armok became more and more powerful with each strike. This left quite an unsavory test in the metaphorical mouth of the remaining spirit of light, who now seeing through Armok's plan, decided to prevent the wars of his now memory-less friends.

First, the spirit of light went to the stone golems. From them, it sprung forth the Dwarves. It gave them alchohol and greed. Soon they became too inebriated to do much more than simply dig for ores to make treasures that they horded.

Second, to the elements the spirit of light went. It created a balance of each, requiring all to be present for any to be. That meant that hurting any of the other elementals would hurt the elemental attacking.

Third, to the ents, it sprung forth the Elves. In them, it created envy and beauty. The elves were then content to only appreciating their beauty, and gardening their trees.

Fourth, to the animals, it sprung forth the Humans. In them, it created self dependance and negligence of others. Each human would not care for any others, even other humans. Because of this, the humans could not gather to wage any wars.

Exhausted, the spirit of light left back into the void. But it had underestimated what it had done.

The dwarves, with their constant inebriation and greed for treasure, would attack the other races for theirs. The elementals became sadistic and masochistic, loving to hurt others and recieving pain in return. The elves became so enthralled with their beauty, that they thought any other race was inferior and needed to be destroyed. The humans created concepts of love, religion, law, and soon, amassed together. They believed the other races were loveless pagan outlaws, and needed to be punished accordingly.

Armok was pleased.

-------------------------------

(Oops, forgot goblins or anything else. Again, just ten minutes! Goblins are made from spirits of thrown away goods. *laughs*   Just so there is no confusion, spirit of light isn't like 'spirit of goodness or happiness', but the more literal interpretation of a spirit that's effectively a beam of light.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:26:41 pm by Kayla »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Creation of the world.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:01:17 am »

Awesome.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:44:30 pm »

I'm thinking about expanding on this short story, but as a challenge, each part has to be done in 20 or less minutes. An equivalent to speed drawing I suppose.

So I'll post again soon when I have something more to post.

- Kayla

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 02:51:34 pm »

Looks good so far.

Is this based off a mod?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 03:00:19 pm »

Hehe. Sort of. I was having a conversation with my boyfriend about what fantasy dwarves looked like. He said they can be pretty much anything a human looks like, but only a bit smaller. You know, standard tolkienesque fare.

When I was younger, I heard stories about little stone creatures that ate rock and only existed to get precious rocks and make precious treasures out of them. So that's how I always imagined dwarves in DF.

Soooo.... I was thinking about making a mod where dwarves are the same. They gather 'rocks' (or just plants with rock like names) and eat them. And their skin would be stone and so on. But how does this fit into the standard fare of the usual thoughts of Dwarves? Beer guzzling little scottish men, that sing and dance and get so drunk they pass out. Being bored, I wrote this story.

So, no mod, but an idea of a mod which inspired a story. The next few parts will have interactions between Standard* Dwarves and the Stone Golems, I think.

- Kayla

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:07:23 pm »

Sounds like an interesting mod for the next version of DF.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One