Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why can't abandoned forts survive?  (Read 1615 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why can't abandoned forts survive?
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:02:25 pm »

Couldn't you leave a running fort for an adventurer, and not a ruin?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Why can't abandoned forts survive?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:12:00 pm »

Logically it should be doable, but it hasn't been implemented yet for whatever reason.  I haven't gone over every single planned improvement for the game, but I suspect "make player-built forts inhabitable outside of Fortress mode" or something along those lines is somewhere in the list.  It's certainly requested often enough to make it on there.
Sanity is for the weak.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:46:45 pm »

The dwarves have a hive-mind like presence that occasionally invests 7 specific dwarves with a mission to create grand works of inspired artwork that no dwarf by its lonesome could possibly comprehend. The second this divine inspiration is gone, the dwarves that colonized the place, being fervently religious in the first place, decide that they must have committed some weighty transgression against their "Ur Builder-Spirit(s)" and have mass suicides.

The rare few that don't commit suicide spend the rest of their days as hermits, secluded from society and never speaking to any dwarves that have the attention of the "Ur Builder-Spirit(s)". This is out of deep and profound shame for their perceived failing.

Perhaps one day the attitudes of dwarven society will change, making the re-admission of dwarves to the dwarven empire proper not only accepted but also commonplace. Perhaps the spirits will see fit to re-admit the forgotten dwarves to their divine plans should they come upon them. But for now the life of a dwarf spurned by the spirits is nasty, brutal, and short.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:42:04 pm »

The dwarves have a hive-mind like presence that occasionally invests 7 specific dwarves with a mission to create grand works of inspired artwork that no dwarf by its lonesome could possibly comprehend. The second this divine inspiration is gone, the dwarves that colonized the place, being fervently religious in the first place, decide that they must have committed some weighty transgression against their "Ur Builder-Spirit(s)" and have mass suicides.

The rare few that don't commit suicide spend the rest of their days as hermits, secluded from society and never speaking to any dwarves that have the attention of the "Ur Builder-Spirit(s)". This is out of deep and profound shame for their perceived failing.

Perhaps one day the attitudes of dwarven society will change, making the re-admission of dwarves to the dwarven empire proper not only accepted but also commonplace. Perhaps the spirits will see fit to re-admit the forgotten dwarves to their divine plans should they come upon them. But for now the life of a dwarf spurned by the spirits is nasty, brutal, and short.

It's known as Tower of Babel Syndrome. The dwarves scatter to the ends of the earth and are no longer able to properly communicate.
This is to make me recognizable.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »

I believe it's because Toady mentioned he wants to implement that properly instead of dwarves just milling around not doing anything when an adventurer visits.

But your explanation is good too, even though they leave the fortress as a migrant group instead of mass suicide.  I even encountered one such group in adventure mode once.  Then got slaughtered by them when I tried to repossess a particularly nice masterwork sword.

You think goblins are heard in adventure mode...wait til you try to fight an all champion fortress military of 40, all decked out with masterwork steel or adamantine gear.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 11:59:34 pm »

This is probably the feature I want the most, but I'm willing to wait for it to be done right.

Toady, if I remember correctly, has also said that the normal settlements will be made more player like in the future. I'm guessing that once that is in, inhabited former fortresses will likely be too. Or, at the very least, not far behind.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 02:44:36 am »

Yeah, the population of your fort just leaves and wanders the worldmap forever as a migrant group.

If you want a challenge in Advent mode, abandon a fort with a good number of champions and just try and even kill one dwarf in the group without being insta-splattered.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:27:09 am »

The feature i want the most is world generation type events still happen while playing the game... events outside your fort... like other civs taking over other civs, or births, or deaths, or megabeast attacking THEM...
Would make for some intresting news that merchants could bring...

This would be my 2nd most wanted new feature to be added...
Serriously, all the other dwarves forts are crap and are only twisted mazes and such... unless you mod them to be like humans and make towns n that..
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:43:01 am »

The feature i want the most is world generation type events still happen while playing the game... events outside your fort... like other civs taking over other civs, or births, or deaths, or megabeast attacking THEM...
Would make for some intresting news that merchants could bring...

This would be my 2nd most wanted new feature to be added...
Serriously, all the other dwarves forts are crap and are only twisted mazes and such... unless you mod them to be like humans and make towns n that..

Like hundreds of goblins and elves duking it out right in front of your fortress.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:19:26 pm »

I remember reading about Headshoots... They had this one champion, a crazy bitch in artifact HFS platemail who lived through all the hell that fort went through, and according to Dwarf Companion was legendary three or four times over...

Anyway, a couple of people fought her in adventurer mode using that savefile. I think the best one was someone who lured her into a murky pool and drowned her.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:28:21 am »

Toady, if I remember correctly, has also said that the normal settlements will be made more player like in the future.
So, they'll all have pointlessly large towers built just outside the front gate, nobody will be wearing clothes, and 90% of the dwarf settlements in the game world will be flooded with water, magma, or cats.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 05:21:15 am »

...normal settlements will be made more player like in the future.
Other settlements will have dwarven science/magma applied to them? Oh boy! :P
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.