Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: your artifact makers..  (Read 1472 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
your artifact makers..
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:58:57 pm »

how do you treat them?

On my recent map, i had hunted all the wildlife to extinction, co i simply turn on the hunting labor for them and give them weapons, swords for the smiths, crossbows fro crafters. this make it so if anny gobbos get past my 30ish marksdwarves, they can get a few kills and serve as a second line of defence. plus, they have beastly stats, so they tend to do a lot of damage
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: your artifact makers..
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:01:21 pm »

So far I've just been engraving their bedrooms.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:05:59 pm »

I don't do anything, since they're all possessed and turning out 2600 value crafts  >:(

Seriously, I've got my wealthiest fort yet, and they insist on making amulets out of wood.
This is to make me recognizable.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 07:06:25 pm »

Sadly, I kind of ignore them. I end up with so many, it's impossible to adequately assign them where they'd me most useful. And I don't work hard making sure that they only have useful things before they go fey.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:24:39 pm »

I'm trying to find the best way to get the artifacts on a dumping platform so I can dump them into a special vault I have made.   As others have said it's really hard to find all my guys.  However it would be very easy to make a special hold for them.  If only I can separate my artifacts from my common items.
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:29:12 pm »

I'm trying to find the best way to get the artifacts on a dumping platform so I can dump them into a special vault I have made.   As others have said it's really hard to find all my guys.  However it would be very easy to make a special hold for them.  If only I can separate my artifacts from my common items.
Stockpile settings. Make a custom stockpile for furniture+goods+weapons+armour+whatever else artifacts can be, set to only accept artifact-quality.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 07:44:14 pm »

mine are easy to find, the ones with fey m,oods anyway. I simply make sure they get a nickname as soon as they complete the artifact
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 02:12:12 am »

On my recent map, i had hunted all the wildlife to extinction, co i simply turn on the hunting labor for them and give them weapons, swords for the smiths, crossbows fro crafters. this make it so if anny gobbos get past my 30ish marksdwarves, they can get a few kills and serve as a second line of defence. plus, they have beastly stats, so they tend to do a lot of damage

They won't sleep in their rooms if you do this (good/bad as that may be). i prefer to just give them all woodcutting labour (and, besides, they have so much agaility that they make good woodcutters even unskilled).
Magma is overrated.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 02:57:44 am »

Now THAT is a tantrum spiral waiting to happen. Very dwarven of you!

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 02:08:17 pm »

I'm trying to find the best way to get the artifacts on a dumping platform so I can dump them into a special vault I have made.   As others have said it's really hard to find all my guys.  However it would be very easy to make a special hold for them.  If only I can separate my artifacts from my common items.
Stockpile settings. Make a custom stockpile for furniture+goods+weapons+armour+whatever else artifacts can be, set to only accept artifact-quality.

Thanks! That worked :)
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:13:54 pm »

Thanks! That worked :)

Make sure you go through your other stockpiles as well and turn off artifact-quality items - otherwise, if an artifact is already there, it won't be picked up and moved. You probably have some artifacts lying in other stockpiles hidden as it is right now.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:12 pm »

Or use "take from pile".

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 03:47:29 pm »

Magma.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 05:18:21 pm »

Magma.
That's the solution to everything.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 06:27:14 pm »

Most of mine never finish the artifact because they all seem to need turtle shells which... I have none of. So on my newest fort I brought turtle as the food so when they ate there would be plenty of shells left around. ^_^
Pages: [1] 2