Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Slaving!  (Read 3621 times)

archie200034

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Slaving!
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:20:50 pm »

So me and my friend were chatting and he brought up the topic of gnomes, so I thougt "Why souldn't there be a slaving labour in DF?" It could require chains ir ropes, and the slaves could make uprisings from time to time, charging your fuards with whatever tools you'd have them work with. With the new caste system coming in the next verision of DF you could assign where your enslaved creatures would work using burrows. You could have your slaves doing all the dangerous digging jobs you'd rather not use a dwarf for, like digging into a magma vent. The creatures would have to be humanoid and of some intelligence, and you could choose which labour to use them for. Imagine having some captured goblins scrubbing your floors!

It seems quite possible from what I've seen of DF modding, and with a little luck it might be implemented in the game!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaving!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:25:20 pm »

As the other fellow mentioned in the OP, I must say that although the idea has been brought up before, does it not always pay to bring good ideas into the public eye?

In other words, I wholeheartedly support this idea and would really rather like to see this implemented.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:02:31 pm »

Is with the bread that is also an owl.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »

Suggested before many times, most recently a week ago.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 07:24:39 pm »

Is with the bread that is also an owl.

Technically, is that true? The name is ambiguous. It could indeed refer to some sort of owl/bread hybrid, but could it also refer to bread made with owls? Or perhaps even bread baked by owls?

However, therein lies thread derailment for all the wrong reasons, and so I shall make this post slightly more on topic.

Many of you may have encountered the now adult baby-snatched dwarves of nearby fortresses in goblin towers in adventure mode, and I for one was never entirely satisfied with this. Goblins are far too nefarious to simply capture creatures to simply increase their own population, and so would it not make more sense for these poor, brainwashed dwarves to make various "slave-like" expressions in their dialogue, often referring to their master? Perhaps they could even belong to that goblin via relationships.

Perhaps submissiveness could be a trait which contributes to the likelihood of rebellion in a slave. For example, a very dominant character who has been enslaved may indeed fall into a terrible rage over time, striking back at his masters in a bid for rebellion. On the other hand, a submissive character may fall into a robotic existance of subserviance to their masters.

Of course, in order to view this, it would have to be possible to view the slave's personality in fortress mode, regardless of race.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 07:27:52 pm »

Sir, you are of course aware of the chastisement we will be subject to for bumping these threads, aren't you? The fact that people are irritated by old threads being ressurected means that we often have to make our own threads on the subject.

Even if the thread was only a week ago, what if the OP's idea had a different spin on the subject of the previous thread? If we bumped it, the point could be several pages into the thread and would be forgotten in as little as a few posts.

A thousand pardons for the double post. I'm used to automerges.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:29:33 pm by Owlbread »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 10:01:35 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen someone complain about a thread being bumped in the suggestions forum. I could of course be wrong.

Also, I don't want slavery in the game. Just putting that out there.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:19:22 pm »

Yes, dwarf fortress should only allow pleasant things, like, eg, killing kittens for food and leather, and breeding mermaids to slaughter their babies for bones.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:28:40 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen someone complain about a thread being bumped in the suggestions forum. I could of course be wrong.
It's happened to me. :(

archie200034

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 05:42:02 am »

From time to time, human (or goblin?) slavers could arrive to sell their slaves to you. The elves would obviously be opposed to slavery and try to diplomatically have you release your slaves, smuggle in weapons for your slaves to use in uprisings, and even siege your fort if you have enough slaves. If you capture enough goblins form a nearby Goblin civilization they could try to bribe you to let your slaves go free!

If the topic has been brought up  many times, it's obviously something the community would like and seems like something fairly easy to create. Even though I have very little experience with modding DF I might have a go at this myself.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 05:49:23 am »

q > Kennel > Enslave Creature > Snodub (goblin)

I like it.  Slaves should function the same as pets, be assignable to dwarves as property, and only have manual labor allowed.  Slaves should not be allowed to craft.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 07:50:09 am »

I imagine some beings would rather die than be enslaved, on an individual basis. So perhaps some goblins die as a result of the giving of that order, while others (seeing the horrible fate of those who resist as they are catapulted into the magma pipe?) surrender their freedom.

This would probably have to do with the natural personality profiles of the to-be-enslaved's natural culture.

Why the hell am I talking about slavery mechanics in this detached way?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 08:02:19 am »

I imagine some beings would rather die than be enslaved, on an individual basis. So perhaps some goblins die as a result of the giving of that order, while others (seeing the horrible fate of those who resist as they are catapulted into the magma pipe?) surrender their freedom.

This would probably have to do with the natural personality profiles of the to-be-enslaved's natural culture.

Why the hell am I talking about slavery mechanics in this detached way?

As has been previously said, what ethical problems are there to be found in slavery if so many of us gleefully disembowel, ignite, atomise and generally maim creatures from goblins to kittens to nobles to even dwarf children? I'm sorry but if you're going to see it as an ethical problem then we really must all think about ourselves and how we all behave in DF.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 08:06:48 am »

Sir, you are of course aware of the chastisement we will be subject to for bumping these threads, aren't you? The fact that people are irritated by old threads being ressurected means that we often have to make our own threads on the subject.

The intention was to point him towards a recent discussion so he could take part and ideas could be consolidated.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 08:09:53 am »

The intention was to point him towards a recent discussion so he could take part and ideas could be consolidated.

I apologise sir, but the way that you'd written your post suggested to me that you were simply suggesting that he take his idea elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2 3